• 31,192 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

#3 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

He's gotta be the funniest tv/movie character ever.
What ethnicity is Borat supposed to be? Sounds like he's speaking Hebrew.

#4 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Most def the funniest. And he is from glorious nation of Kazakhstan.

CAN'T WAIT 'TILL FRIDAY!

#5 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

I know he's from Kazakhstan, but he definitely doesn't look Kazakh. He can't be Jewish though, because he's anti-Semitic.

#6 Error 404

Error 404

ERROR 404

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 31 2006, 06:41 PM) View Post
I know he's from Kazakhstan, but he definitely doesn't look Kazakh. He can't be Jewish though, because he's anti-Semitic.

He is jewish his last name is Cohen (the Ali G show) and if you lookup in wikipedia it will confirm it. He is not antisemite he is making fun of antisemites.

I think in reality he is not making fun of Kazakhs but he is making fun of americans. The thing is he recorded people in his movie who didn't even know that it is staged, that it is going to be in a movie. They think he is really a Kazakh journalist.

#7 Bakersfieldian

Bakersfieldian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

I've always been a Borat fan.

What's really funny is that the guy travelling around with Borat, the character Azamat Bagatov (mentioned in a previous episode as having his anus broken by a giant from Turkmenistan) is actually played by Armenian character actor Ken Davitian.

I'm really looking forward to this movie!

#8 skhara

skhara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(Error 404 @ Oct 31 2006, 09:03 PM) View Post
I think in reality he is not making fun of Kazakhs but he is making fun of americans. The thing is he recorded people in his movie who didn't even know that it is staged, that it is going to be in a movie. They think he is really a Kazakh journalist.

He is making fun of Kazakhs and Americans at the same time. Its quite funny to us, but I can understand why Kazakhs are so pissed since he gives off the impression that Kazakhs are backward retards, prostitutes, perverts, gypsy-catchers, jew-catchers, dog-eaters, ill-mannered and brazen, etc....

Enjoy:

http://video.google....4...Borat&hl=en
http://video.google....4...Borat&hl=en
http://video.google....2...Borat&hl=en
http://video.google....3...Borat&hl=en
http://video.google....7...Borat&hl=en
http://video.google....2...Borat&hl=en

#9 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

Borat pretty much makes fun of EVERYONE that doesn't get his humor. Including Americans and Kazahks and women and religous people and pretty much everyone else. biggrin.gif

#10 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 31 2006, 09:18 PM) View Post
He's gotta be the funniest tv/movie character ever.
What ethnicity is Borat supposed to be? Sounds like he's speaking Hebrew.

He does speak in Hebrew in the movie and Ken responds in Armenian but everybody else things they're conversing in Kazakh smile.gif

#11 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

I know the actor is Jewish. I was asking about the character. A lot of times it really seems like he's poking fun at Russians. He does a very good Russian accent.

Maybe Kazakhstan shouldn't be so angered by this. They could use this to boost their tourism industry.

#12 skhara

skhara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

His character is Kazakh. I know he doesn't look Kazakh, but its not like Americans know what Kazakhs look like.

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(skhara @ Nov 2 2006, 01:51 PM) View Post
His character is Kazakh. I know he doesn't look Kazakh, but its not like Americans know what Kazakhs look like.

Is it because most Americans don’t know the difference between Kazak and Khazar, whatever the H…@#%… ebrew that may mean.
Many Armenians may still be accustomed to use “kazak” to mean sweater. I will not post any sites, you may search and find the connection using “kazak” -“sweater” as your keywords and see the gamut from Ankara/Angora to Victoria‘s Secret.
My miniscule Furkish dictionary defines “kazak” as “cossack”. Is it really? Are kazak and Cossack synonymous?
In Armenian qatsakh/քացախ means vinegar. Then how about the River Kasagh Քասաղ/Քացախ Khasagh/ Kasakh in Aparan? I spell it with the P rather than B since Aparan is the Armenian word to mean “palace” as in Siamanto’s “Avagh aparanqi nman mets eyir ou shgegh” in his “Ap M@ Mokhir Hayreni Toun/My Farherland, a fistful of Ash.
http://armenianpoetr...m/arm/1157.html
Hey you guys!
What about learning Armenian culture before we delve in Kazak/Khazar/ Kakar, before we go by what jurks and tews say about the culture/turkture/jewkture about the region!!

Edited by Arpa, 02 November 2006 - 10:48 AM.

#14 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

But many Kazakhs still bristle at the way they are being portrayed. Svetlana Chuikina, an anchorwoman on Kazakh television, says Borat doesn't even look the part.

"He might look like a Turk, but definitely not like a Kazakh," she says.

#15 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

I actually saw it when it premiered on Tuesday. After standing on line for 2 hours it was simply not worth the money or the wait. I really had very high expectations for this movie, maybe something along the lines of the Family Guy, South Park or The Office, but what I got is a poorly executed vulgar movie that wanted to take the direction of indiscriminatory humor, but instead lowered itself to toilet, incestual, profane, gay and simply overly done comedy.

There were some good moments and almost all are collected in the trailer. His sidekick was a fat Armenian guy who throughout the movie constantly yelled out his primitive Armenian phrases and at some point ended up completely naked wrestling naked with Borat. That moment could have been reduced to 2 minutes instead it took 10 minutes of sack in the face, compromising derriere action, and just plane 69 with totally nude bodies with a hairy 400 pound guy on top of the skinny hairy guy. And yes, 10 minutes of extreme close-ups of those positions. I have not seen anything that disgusting on the screen yet.

The film was peppered with “This is my sister [French kiss] I have sexy time with her.” “I have sexy time with my mother in-law” Taking his bathroom business placing it in a plastic bag and going to a dinner table to ask the people where he should throw it out? Also him trying to run after every single person in NYC to kiss them and introduce himself was also overdone, it took about 30 minutes of that as well. It's funny that it's the only thing he focused on in New York.

In conclusion the movie left me in utter confusion. There were a few questions. Supposedly he makes fun of everyone, but he choses to be Kazakh who despises Jews. I love the idea of making fun of yourself but he chose to be a part of the Muslim country who has some anti-Semitic sentiments, so was he making fun of himself or ripping apart the country that is making fun of Jews? He chose to show Americans mainly in the Mid-west, and he picked on the most ignorant kind, the Texas racist conservatives, the radical tongue-speaking Baptists in a theatrical church, a bunch of Midwestern jocks who get drunk and utter racial slurs. The ghetto blacks in risqué neighborhoods. And the movie is about his experience in America. I have a problem when a movie like that may send a message to the people around the world and the educated sectors that most of the America is full of idiots. People hold those beliefs as it is and they are flawed. He didn’t pick the cosmopolitan cities, where the economy and culture are blossoming. The thing is that many know better, but what about the rest of the world who will view this film and say “YEP THAT’S AMERICA.” Very marginalized view.

Of course the situation doesn’t get better when you think that he is a British Jew. There are no jokes about the British and no real jokes about Jewish stereotypes. To me that’s not daring, it’s rather a political approach. If you want to make money you are going to exploit the already tarnished reputation of America, tear apart a Muslim country and you will avoid being seen as a self-deprecating British Jew, because most Jews will not support your movie, and let’s look at the film industry. To me this movie was supposed to be daring, fun, unafraid of insults with a very biting sarcasm, instead it was a selective political “propaganda” posing as slapstick biased towards everything humor. Basically dear Borat cashed in on the global disdain of the US and at the same time slandered prejudice Kazakhstan. One backwards world vs. another. It was a very primitive attempt, but I am afraid that many will just look at it as just another “American Pie” humor. I can just see Borat saying “Let’s make a dumb movie about dumb people and dumb nations and show it to dumb people who will think that it’s brilliant because it’s making fun of dumbasses like themselves and they will never suspect a thing.” In that retrospect I believe that Borat will be a box office hit. And I will just return to The Office.

Oh yeah, I was so happy that the Armenian idiot was posing as a Kazakh. It would be pretty awful if his ties to Armenia were revealed in this film. Also, maybe the concept of the film is good for his 30 minute sketches but for 11/2 it gets extremely stale.

#16 Error 404

Error 404

ERROR 404

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

Gelern uten Boratin, bolorin jghaynacrela ....

happy.gif

#17 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:58 PM

He means to be as offensive as possible. He's really just another Tom Green except that he's more versatile (does three characters instead of one).

As far as embarrasing Armenians, I think Armenian Comedian has already done it. I haven't seen those late night shows in a long time, but hopefully Jimmy Kimmel no longer invites him.

#18 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

I have not seen anything that disgusting on the screen yet.

I am guessing you haven't seen Avanak 2.

#19 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:49 AM

Eve, have you heard of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends? He too goes off to remote English speaking places (as himself) to expose the type of people who live outside of the mainstream. The idea behind it is: "Are we, Westerners, really as civilized as we like to believe we are?"

In the case of Borat and Ali G (and Bruno the Austrian), the joke started in England, and only after it became a hit was it moved to America. For Ali G, it was to expose the idiocy of the smartest people in England and America (professors, government officials, etc.) For Borat, it's to expose the other side of England and America; the quite shocking side we never get to see. In England, Borat started off going to upper class events, like horse-racing, fox-hunting, and tea time, just to expose these classes for what they really are. In America, he spent most of his time with your average Joe; the average Joe most of us never get to see. The main question with Borat, like Theroux, is: "What is civilization? And are we really as civilized as we believe we are?"

I do agree that sometimes he goes overboard (I felt the same with Ali G at times), but when he nails it, he nails it well.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but there are plenty of earlier clips on YouTube.

#20 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

Hymn of Kazakhstan from the movie

please watch it and tell me if that's Ilham Aliyev at the very end, as their leader????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users