• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

(Although this is mainly a linguistic issue I chose to post it here for obvious reasons.)
To my question of “ what the Armenian word for chocolate is”
Zartonk answered;
Ճակլետ :)
Very good Zartonk. Except that you are speaking English (chaklet) while those in Yerevan seem to speak French “shokolat”, or Russian- шоколадный (šokoládnyj) .
So, what is the Armenian word for that delicacy?
Only a few of us may have known this-ՏՈՒՐՄ tourm Huh!! :huh:
What is the origin and etymology of that word. No one seems to know. Even Ajarian gives up and says - “it must a be new fangled word” that is used by some writers with no explanation.
I was about to shred and burn all those dictionaries, I may still, when they say that “chocolate” is from Aztec. It may be true….

Chocolate (pronounced /ˈtʃɒklɨt/ ( listen) or /ˈtʃɒkəlɨt/) comprises a number of raw and processed foods produced from the seed of the tropical Theobroma cacao tree. Cacao has been cultivated for at least three millennia in Mexico, Central and South America, with its earliest documented use around 1100 BC. The majority of the Mesoamerican people made chocolate beverages, including the Aztecs, who made it into a beverage known as xocolātl, a Nahuatl word meaning "bitter water". The seeds of the cacao tree have an intense bitter taste, and must be fermented to develop the flavor.

My initial instinct was that “chocolat(t)” (shokola) was an original French word to mean “cocoa/cacao and lait-milk ) just as the Spanish cacao+latte, կակաո*** կաթ/ կաթնա կակաո?. I still maintain except that, in the light of the Aztec “xocolatl” I must reconsider and see if the French is not retrofitted. I have one more argument. Even if many sites point to South America as the home of Cocoa, we know well that West Africa is the main producer, as seen in the above story from Yerevan that the beans were imported from Ghana.
Btw. What do people in Yerevan call hot chocolate?

**We all take those “official” dictionaries at their word, no matter how popularly and politically biased they may be, as when they say a certain word is furkish. My paperbound Webster’s says that the word “heathen” is from the Armenian “hetanos” (ethnos). Since amended.
*** And further more. Why are those gago-heads in Yerevan spelling it կակաո? When the entire Latin world writes "cacao". Would it not translitrate to «գագաո» where the C = Գ ?? OK , OK I know the russkis write "kakao".

Edited by Arpa, 14 September 2010 - 02:45 AM.

#2 Arpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

How Sweet It is!!
Also remember the Biggest Chocolate Bar.

(NB. I still dont know who, when and where coined the word ՏՈՒՐՄ,Tourm/ Dourm for chocolate, neither, it seems anyone else know. They all say origin unknown)

-The Living Dream of Two Repatriates: Gourmet Dourmes Baghdadyan Brothers

Chocolate. It may be the most treasured sweet in all the world. Its also the muse for Pierre and Diran Baghdadyans delectable masterpieces. The repatriate brothers left Lebanon to live in their homeland of Armenia and nearly a decade later, they are the premier producers of chocolate in the country.
Now running a successful business, it would be easy to think that the Baghdadyans established chocolatiers since the years they spent in Austria refining their trade moved to Armenia to set up shop and tap into a new market. The reality is much simpler and more endearing: they just felt that, as Armenians, they should be living in Armenia.
Moving to Armenia may seem a curious choice for the brothers. They could have chosen to explore opportunities that were more readily available to them in Lebanon or Austria or perhaps the United States. They had no family in Armenia nor did they have a need to escape from where they were.
Why they moved could be summed up by one memory. Diran remembers that, My dream as a child was that we would return to Armenia because although we werent born here, we had to return to our roots. So the brothers voluntarily decided to pick up whatever they had, leave Lebanon, and settle in their homeland. They realized that childhood dream and they couldnt be happier.
The dream hasnt abated. Although the Baghdadyan brothers have been able to secure a good life for themselves, they are trying to help others share in their success by spreading the wealth. They have created workplaces outside Yerevan in their production facilities to provide jobs for people outside of the big city.
An assortment of Gourme Dourme chocolates
Other than Gourmet Dourme shops and kiosks in Yerevan brimming with their handmade chocolate delicacies, they opened a quaint café on the road to Ashtarak, offering a welcome respite to travelers on the frequented road. The same care with which their chocolates are made is on display in the beautifully appointed grounds of the roadside stop.
But its not just employment landscape they want to change the brothers want to change peoples minds about Armenia. As they describe it, the first thing they noticed when they arrived in the country was the widespread pessimism of the people. While they are not ignorant nor neglectful of Armenias problems, they are optimistic about the opportunities available to those who want them.
Today I know many craftsmen woodworkers, plumbers, construction workers who have more work than they can handle, they dont have enough time to do it all, and this in Armenia, exclaims Diran. Hes convinced that by setting a good example of the rewards of hard work, as well as by encouraging new perspectives, its possible to change minds.
He tells the story of a man with whom he was speaking who was complaining that they were laying new asphalt too frequently, concluding that frequent asphalting was to prompt faster driving which would result in more tickets and greater revenue from fines. Baghdadyan didnt see it that way and he told the man as much: the street was being renewed and it was clean, both good things. They were looking at the same road, what they saw was a matter of each mans perspective.
A chocolate Mt. Ararat
An active citizen, Baghdadyan is not shy about writing government officials if he thinks he has a good idea. He once wrote a letter outlining a reform that might persuade businesses to move some of their production outside of Yerevan by way of tax incentives which would not only develop those areas but employ otherwise jobless people.
Its hard to think life could be anything but sweet for two brothers who make chocolate for a living. But their success is a result of their hard work and their insistence that they could make as great a life in Armenia and although they could have had that life anywhere else, they chose to do it in their homeland. Their fascinating story arouses many questions but one seems to more important than them all: which one of the thirty kinds of chocolate they make is the best?
There is only one way to find out.

#3 Arpa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Edited by Arpa, 28 June 2014 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users