13 replies to this topic

#1 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:01 PM

Now that we have been to the sky and know for a fact that there is nothing beyond the clouds but more space (i.e. no heaven and god in the clouds), do you find it rediculous that people still insist on pointing to the sky and thanking the him "up there"?

If there is such an omnipresent and omnipotent God, then why do people look up to find him? I understand the symbolizm but this is a symbol left from the early dumb-ass days of humanity and I would think it is slowly time to get it out of our systems.

#2 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:19 PM

Why would you assume that something non-physical is in a physical place?
Now we can look to the right of us,that would seem odd,no?
Or the left...same...
Down,no we know where down leads too....
So we look up....
They also say that when you are trying to retrieve info from your brain and you look in a certain direction ,it's because that's the area in your brain the info is stored in...we are creatures of habit,no sense in fighting it....conform to our ways and all will be well! ohmy.gif

Edited by Maral, 06 March 2004 - 04:34 PM.

• onjig likes this

#3 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Mar 6 2004, 04:19 PM)
Why would you assume that something non-physical is in a physical place?

One of the best intelegent (no I am not patronizing)sentences I've read on this forum.You go Maral
  • onjig likes this

#4 _Anka_

_Anka_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:48 PM

What if God is the "vishii Razum" for some of you who speak Russian.
Vishii razum is like the "highest truth" right? I do believe that there's something much greater and bigger than us out there. I don't belive that "god" made us look almost like him like the Bible tells us (I don't care much about bible). I'm more into methaphsyics, cosmology, biddhism, hinduism in some ways, daoism, astrology (in some cases). I'm still trying to figure out that god means for me...I also have a difficulty in believeing that Jesus was really the son of God, maybe he was sent here for a purpose but i'm sure that he was an ordinary man just like us. oh yeah I also belive in UFO's..
I wouldn't be surprised if we were created by aliens and put on this earth by tehm for their won experiment to see how we would progress. Just because of the light year distance that exists in universe I wouldn't be surprised if their 1 day=our 100,000 years. i do belive in Jesus but who knows he was probably one of their men.

#5 shiner

shiner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (_Anka_ @ Mar 6 2004, 11:48 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if we were created by aliens and put on this earth by tehm for their won experiment to see how we would progress. Just because of the light year distance that exists in universe I wouldn't be surprised if their 1 day=our 100,000 years. i do belive in Jesus but who knows he was probably one of their men.

I think there is a book about that called "Chariots of Gods". It's not fiction, it's actually very scientific.

#6 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Mar 6 2004, 10:01 PM)
Now that we have been to the sky and know for a fact that there is nothing beyond the clouds but more space (i.e. no heaven and god in the clouds), do you find it rediculous that people still insist on pointing to the sky and thanking the him "up there"?

If there is such an omnipresent and omnipotent God, then why do people look up to find him? I understand the symbolizm but this is a symbol left from the early dumb-ass days of humanity and I would think it is slowly time to get it out of our systems.

Sorry Sip!
You're too late! smile.gif smile.gif
Late by almost a half century.
When Yuri Gagarin returned to Earth after his travel into space he declared that he had been to heaven and not seen God. And so did Valentina Tereshkova, the first female astronaut (cosmonaut). I bring her up beacuse my observation has been that women are more spiritual and more devout. Does this have anyhting with the fact that all major deities are male including Jesus and that women trust them with no question? What if the deities were female (in fact the two most major gods of the Armenians were female), would men be as spiritual and devout as women are at the present?

As to heaven above and hell below, just consider that thumbsup.gif is considered good and thumbdown.gif bad, just as left is sinister and right is right.

Edited by Arpa, 07 March 2004 - 06:22 PM.

#7 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:42 PM

hmm with my little brain- all i can say about the idea of God and what not is that for me, it comes instnctually, and i dont question my beliefs and feelings- when it comes 2 religion... im confident in what i believe in, and i only need to answer to myself and God in te end...so i think its useless to question whether its right or wrong to think god exists in the sky or what not- i guess that whole concept is just something that has stayed with us from ancient beliefs that Gods existed in the sky- anyway...i hope what im sayin makes sense--might sound retarted but anyway- biggrin.gif
  • onjig likes this

#8 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Mar 7 2004, 06:42 PM)
hmm with my little brain- all i can say about the idea of God and what not is that for me, it comes instnctually, and i dont question my beliefs and feelings- when it comes 2 religion... im confident in what i believe in, and i only need to answer to myself and God in te end...so i think its useless to question whether its right or wrong to think god exists in the sky or what not- i guess that whole concept is just something that has stayed with us from ancient beliefs that Gods existed in the sky- anyway...i hope what im sayin makes sense--might sound retarted but anyway- biggrin.gif

This is what is important... what is important is what you believe in... don't listen to those that claim that your beliefs are wrong... their belief is not important for you, what is important is what you believe in.

If they tell you that everything should be based on materialism, go read Berkeley's Theory regarding Immaterialism, I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes sense regarding the immaterialism of materialism by using materialists own arguments. Worth reading.

#9 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:52 PM

hey i am actually studying berkeleys theories and oppositions to descartes...its pretty cool i like it so far--

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Mar 7 2004, 06:52 PM)
hey i am actually studying berkeleys theories and oppositions to descartes...its pretty cool i like it so far--

I guess the central oposition would be Descartian rationalism which is in contradiction with Berkeleys unemperism... but still... his vision of immaterialism of materialism is brilliant... as it was one of the foundations of my "Belief" theory. biggrin.gif

#11 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:27 PM

i have read only one book with spriritual intentions... "the bible" anything else is very tangible literature.. and changes with time and adjusts to new beliefs... but the bible does not..

I dont understand one thing though, mainly from your posts anka... if you do not care for the Bible, and not take what it has to say as truth... then how could you even awknoledge the existence of Jesus? or God with a capital G?

just clarify that confusion and maybe i missed something.. but so far, you are stating 2 very contradicting ideas. smile.gif
  • onjig likes this

#12 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Mar 7 2004, 06:52 PM)

see what i lile about us engineers, we leave our rteligous views in our pockets close by but not debated smile.gif, and not have to descuss them while we figuring out which material to use in such and such process and how to built it, and etc.. smile.gif

#13 _Anka_

_Anka_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (gevo27 @ Mar 7 2004, 07:27 PM)
I dont understand one thing though, mainly from your posts anka... if you do not care for the Bible, and not take what it has to say as truth... then how could you even awknoledge the existence of Jesus? or God with a capital G?

I wouldn't consider myself a Christian. I mean I'm interested in eastern religions like Buddhism and hinduism. I'm also interested in Cosmology & physics. I do belive in God but I don't belive in god the way Bible (christianity) portrays God. as I said before I belive that Jesus was real but I don't consider him to be "son of God". Maybe he was sent here for a purpose and he did accomplish it. I don't go to church and I don't care much about Christianity be it orthodox, protestant or anything else. The questions that I have about god, us, life etc christianty fails to answer. The Adam and Eve story is sooo 3rd grade for my understandings of our creation. You may say that how can I say that if I'm Armenian (1st christian nation in the world) but to tell you the truth I don't ahve to believe in somthing just ebcause the whole nation belives in it. I don't care much about it I ahev my own understanding of God and life and It is somthing close to buddhism. To tell you the truth there was some time when I was really into Islam , yep you heard me right smile.gif I took a class related to Islam and I was very into Islamic religion. My dad even joked about it saying that He wouldn't be surprised if i converted to Islam. But now I don't care that much about monotheisic relgions (christ, islam, jud). and oh yeah I started reading a book on Kabbalah. I guess you could say that I'm "exploring" some relgions but I only make sense of buddhism and hinduism so far. Just because i don't accept Christianity or Christ that doesn't mean that i don't believe in God since God is not only in Christian relgion. I also don't accept the Bible because so many people wrote it during different time periods that who knows who's telling the truth and who's living in illusions. I also don't belive in Satan and all the devil crap. When I was a kid I read the chlidrens Bible (if you guys can remember it was the purple book wiht baby jesus on it) and that book scared the s*** out of me. There were some stories about the Satan and basicly after reading it I lived my childhood being paranoyed since I thought that satan would talk to me anytime it wants (the same way in the bible). I even heard someone say to mje that I can't be Armenian if I'm not Christian, but that's a complete bs since there were Armenians before christianity and i don't have to belive in a thing that doesn't make any sense to me (christianity) just because Armenians belive in it, I don't really care about that part.

#14 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:18 PM

The Concept Of "God In The Sky"

Sip, it is heaven not the sky. I don't think there are too many people who think God is in the physical sky.
  • onjig likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users