• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

I will refrain from any comments. I was just wondering where to post this - under History or Politics. If moderators believe that "politics" is more appropriate, please move it there. Thanks! wink.gif

http://www.hri.org/d...evres/map1.html

http://www.hri.org/docs/sevres/

I recomend reading carefully the whole document, just to see how little the world changed since 1920. The Sevres treaty is unique in that, that it discusses all "hot" issues of today. Along with Armenia, Balkans, Sudan, Cyprus, Palestine, Iraq, Persia and even Sudan. The treaty also discusses free access to 'commercial projects'. smile.gif

SECTION VI.

ARMENIA.ARTICLE 88.

Turkey, in accordance with the action already taken by the Allied Powers, hereby recognises Armenia as a free and independent State.

ARTICLE 89.

Turkey and Armenia as well as the other High Contracting Parties agree to submit to the arbitration of the President of the United States of America the question of the frontier to be fixed between Turkey and Armenia in the vilayets of Erzerum, Trebizond, Van and Bitlis, and to accept his decision thereupon, as well as any stipulations he may prescribe as to access for Armenia to the sea, and as to the demilitarisation of any portion of Turkish territory adjacent to the said frontier.

ARTICLE 90.

In the event of the determination of the frontier under Article 89 involving the transfer of the whole or any part of the territory of the said Vilayets to Armenia, Turkey hereby renounces as from the date of such decision all rights and title over the territory so transferred. The provisions of the present Treaty applicable to territory detached from Turkey shall thereupon become applicable to the said territory.

The proportion and nature of the financial obligations of Turkey which Armenia will have to assume, or of the rights which will pass to her, on account of the transfer of the said territory will be determined in accordance with Articles 241 to 244, Part VIII (Financial Clauses) of the present Treaty.

Subsequent agreements will, if necessary, decide all questions which are not decided by the present Treaty and which may arise in consequence of the transfer of the said territory.

ARTICLE 91.

In the event of any portion of the territory referred to in Article 89 being transferred to Armenia, a Boundary Commission, whose composition will be determined subsequently, will be constituted within three months from the delivery of the decision referred to in the said Article to trace on the spot the frontier between Armenia and Turkey as established by such decision.

ARTICLE 92.

The frontiers between Armenia and Azerbaijan and Georgia respectively will be determined by direct agreement between the States concerned.

If in either case the States concerned have failed to determine the frontier by agreement at the date of the decision referred to in Article 89, the frontier line in question will be determined by the Pricipal Allied Powers, who will also provide for its being traced on the spot.

ARTICLE 93.

Armenia accepts and agrees to embody in a Treaty with the Principal Allied Powers such provisions as may be deemed necessary by these Powers to protect the interests of inhabitants of that State who differ from the majority of the population in race, language, or religion.

Armenia further accepts and agrees to embody in a Treaty with the Principal Allied Powers such provisions as these Powers may deem necessary to protect freedom of transit and equitable treatment for the commerce of other nations.

Another interesting link:

http://www.armenianr...ian_armenia.htm

This Treaty is also important in terms of what happens when politicians abandon their obligations and refuse to implement decisions taken in accordance with international accords.

Edited by gamavor, 24 May 2005 - 11:14 AM.

#2 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

Lets face it smile.gif I don't think we will ever forgive the turks. Not now not in hundred years. While our interest is to have Turkey in Europe, the most suitable border of Europe is the turkish-armenian border. Sure, we can participate in different international bodies, sure we can do business with the turks (that is after certain preconditions are met), sure we even can be good neighbours, but going beyond that like being members of the same Union and sharing all the rights and responsibilities and sharing common goals is science fiction. Turks have been in Europe for four hundred years. They belong there.

What we can do to help turks get European membership? wink.gif

#3 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

Now it is the Europeans' turn to see what Turkish pollution smells like. Let them continue their migration. smile.gif

#4 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(gamavor @ May 24 2005, 11:57 AM)  
ARTICLE 89.

Turkey and Armenia as well as the other High Contracting Parties agree to submit to the arbitration of the President of the United States of America the question of the frontier to be fixed between Turkey and Armenia in the vilayets of Erzerum, Trebizond, Van and Bitlis, and to accept his decision thereupon, as well as any stipulations he may prescribe as to access for Armenia to the sea, and as to the demilitarisation of any portion of Turkish territory adjacent to the said frontier.

This is what pulverizes all the hopes of the Turks that "the Sèvres was not ratified and the Lausanne treaty renders it void".

While this is not true at all, stronger, the eastern borders of Turkey were not discussed in the Lausanne treaty because it was taken for granted that they had already been fixed by the Sèvres, the most important thing is that the treaty of Sèvres does not have anything to do with border delineation.

The decision of drawing the border between Turkey and Armenia was submitted to the arbitration of the President of the United States of America agreed by the signing parties.

It's the Woodrow Wilson's Arbitral Award that decides the borders between Armenia and Turkey and as far as I know it's final and cannot be challenged. It's also bad for Armenians since we cannot demand all of our homeland from Turkey which is more than twice the 100,000 square km awarded to us. The reason was, because of the Armenian Genocide, there were not many Armenians left on those lands.

But we are about 10 million now and I hope we will take all our homeland back from Turkic parasites: the rest of the six vilayets plus Cilicia, Caesarea and Sebastia!

P.S. This is going to be my last post until this goddamn post upgrade bug is fixed. I had to log-in 6 times to be able to post this message. mad.gif mad1.gif mad.gif mad1.gif

#5 LionHeart

LionHeart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(Hellektor @ Jun 27 2007, 06:52 PM)  
This is what pulverizes all the hopes of the Turks that "the Sèvres was not ratified and the Lausanne treaty renders it void".

While this is not true at all, stronger, the eastern borders of Turkey were not discussed in the Lausanne treaty because it was taken for granted that they had already been fixed by the Sèvres, the most important thing is that the treaty of Sèvres does not have anything to do with border delineation.

Not to mention that the Treaty of Alexandrapol was never valid--it was signed by an ex-member of the Arm. gov't after the government had resigned, and after the Bolsheviks had taken over. Plus, the ToA was never ratified by Armenia.

And Treaty of Kars can't be valid either since Armenia didn't act as an independent state according to its free will.

By the way, Hellektor, you realize that the map in your icon is only a fraction of our demanded lands, right? It excludes southern and westnermost provinces.

Edited by LionHeart, 29 June 2007 - 09:18 AM.

#6 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(LionHeart @ Jun 29 2007, 10:17 AM)  
Not to mention that the Treaty of Alexandrapol was never valid--it was signed by an ex-member of the Arm. gov't after the government had resigned, and after the Bolsheviks had taken over. Plus, the ToA was never ratified by Armenia.

And Treaty of Kars can't be valid either since Armenia didn't act as an independent state according to its free will.

By the way, Hellektor, you realize that the map in your icon is only a fraction of our demanded lands, right? It excludes southern and westnermost provinces.

Of course no one can expect everyone to have read their posts.

Dear LionHeart,

The treaty of Kars is void because neither the USSR of that J*w-Tatar piece of excrement Lenin, nor the Turkey of the genocidal doenme j*w Kemal Cacaturk was recognized internationally in 1921.

I have always said we should never give a square nanometer of land to the Turks and I always say we'll take Cilicia, Sebastia and Caesarea back in addition to the six vilayets to the west and Gandzak, Utik and Paytakaran, all the way to the Caspian and everything south of the River Kur in the east .

The thing is, this may happen say couple of centuries later. Three centuries ago who would have ever thought that the US would become a country of 300 million and the most powerful empire of the 20th century? The same way who, say 2000 years ago would have imagined the great Roman Empire would be reduced to Italy of today?

Realistically, morally and LEGALLY the map on my avatar IS Armenian territory, Javakhk and Nakhijevan included. We have the internationally valid deeds for those lands. The international community has a legal duty, according to their own faggot laws, to ENFORCE the decision of Woodrow Wilson and pressure Turkey to act according to the law of the agreed arbitral award, ceding the western 100,000 square km to Armenia. This way Armenia will have access to sea and also a lever concerning the BTC, not to speak of the taxes that we can collect, increasing the security of the country a hundred fold (I'm not exaggerating), dealing the deadliest of all blows to pan-turkism once and for all.

It's also good for Turkey: they'll finally begin a metamorphosis from monster to man and get rid of the Kurdish question as well.

P.S. I'm replying because I'm asked a question otherwise I prefer not to post until a bug concerning the cookies is fixed or at least I get a response. I'm having serious problems after the latest forum upgrade, which causes me to get logged out every time I go to another page: reply, preview, pm, search and all included. Nobody seems to care. Hey, anybody out there having this problem?

[size=7][color=#FF0000][b]Admin: Bring back the previous WORKING version. What’s the use of the sleek looking buttons and the stupid loading animations when this shit doesn’t work?
I have lost count of how many times I logged in before I was able to post this message.

Edited by Edward, 29 June 2007 - 06:14 PM.

#7 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

Admin: Bring back the previous WORKING version. What’s the use of the sleek looking buttons and the stupid loading animations when this shit doesn’t work?
I have lost count of how many times I logged in before I was able to post this message.

To report a technical problem I would recommend you to either send a private message to me or open a new thread instead of getting frustrated and feeling you are being ignored. I don't read every message posted on the board.

#8 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

I reset your account password and cookies. Check your email account for the new password

#9 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

Good points guys. If you allow me few quick comments...

There are few scenarios for resolving the Armenian - Turkish puzzle. Some realistic and some not that realistic. If we all agree that in order to insure sustainable development of Armenia we need to acquire lost ( they are not lost, just under temporary jurisdiction of the Turkish state) territories, than the ultimate question is HOW we are going to achieve that goal.

The military options are the short cut, but not possible at least for another 50 years. We cannot take the Turks by ourselves, so the only way is to wait for a global military conflict or instigate one. It would be catastrophe with consequences making the initial intent for sustainable development absolutely unattainable smile.gif))

The second option is sudden change of heart on part of Turkey and normalization of the relations - also quite fantastic and hardly possible for another 50 years. Even if the government is willing to do so, it would take at least 10 years to prepare the Turks for such a move without outside cohesion.

And the third most realistic one is to have Turkey as a full member of EU. It would take maybe 15-20 years.

As to the problems Europeans may encounter in the process - this shouldn't be our concern, because Turkey is THEIR ill born outlawed child.

The bad and the good of all this: Armenia will continue to be isolated: not being able to participate in major transnational projects and foreign investments would have rather local flavor. On the flip side: isolation makes Armenia immune to global economic crises which are inevitable, hence the development of the economy would experience less stressful pressures.

What else is inevitable is the accumulation of capital - assets and money and as it is known; capital always demands and finds his own way to multiply.

#10 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

This website has all you want to know about our legal rights regarding Wilson's arbitration.

On this page you can enjoy the pleasure of watching all the map details that were drawn to delineate the boundary between Armenia and Turkey, showing parts of our lost (but not forever) homeland: our beautiful Van, Karin, Baghesh and Trabizon that the bloodthirsty Turk will have to return ASAP.

This is a free PDF file on the same website, containing a collection of Ara Papian's articles on the issue. If you read Armenian, please do take your time and read the articles. They are excellent A++ and answer all your questions, disperse all your doubts and pulverize Turkish bullshit about "treaty of Sèvres not having been ratified" or "Lausanne having replaced it" and I know what not baloney of the sort.

Edited by Hellektor, 24 August 2007 - 06:56 PM.

#11 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

nice site hellektor

#12 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Հայերեն Լեզուն և Թեննիս

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(Hellektor @ Jun 29 2007, 06:48 PM)
The thing is, this may happen say couple of centuries later. Three centuries ago who would have ever thought that the US would become a country of 300 million and the most powerful empire of the 20th century? The same way who, say 2000 years ago would have imagined the great Roman Empire would be reduced to Italy of today?

You're right Hellektor jan, we don't know what the future may hold for either Armenia or Turkey. However, when I was in Armenia this last summer, I read a (I believe) NATO published article, or some top organization's article regarding Armenia's population 20 years down the line, and they said that at the rate it is going now, Armenia's population will be 25% less than what it is today. Regarding this issue, and also the unfortunate state of our Diaspora in keeping their Armenian-ness alive and well, Armenia needs help. Look at Turkey's 80+ million population. You know, I keep telling all my friends, and all Armenian girls to have not two kids, but more... 3, 4, 5. Cause the numbers just don't add up, and we won't have massive waves of repatriation back to Armenia anytime soon, cause there is no catastrophe or debacle here in the States yet, or in Europe or Russia (assuming that is the ONLY way you will get waves of Armenians repatriating back to Armenia...). So while you're theory is correct in that anything can change, you must assess the current state of Armenia and the Diaspora now, and that would be a direct indicator of the future. The reason the US became 300 million was due to their socio-economic level, compared to the rest of the world, and therefore it attracted millions, that's usually a basis for any advanced country (they usually get an influx of immigrants - France, England, Germany, etc...). But what I'm trying to say is that everything is contingent to today's terms. Armenia doesn't have many natural resources to advance it's economy, those states - US, Europe, etc... have forces that drive their economy, and if people live well in those countries, you will naturally have immigrants coming from other countries to live there smile.gif Armenia lacks this, on top of which, Armenians in Armenia aren't having enough children... for God's sake we need to send guys from the Diaspora to Armenia to marry the girls! (a lot are not getting married at all sad.gif ). I mean we have all these problems not working in our favor, and unless a catastrophe, a major debacle happens in the US, Europe, and/or Russia (where all us Diasporan Armenians live (predominantly)), I don't expect things to change in the future.

Oh and btw, I LOVE your map. It is the most realistic thing I can imagine today, happening to Armenia and Diasporan Armenians alike. I just don't know how the Naxichevan deal would work out, but Turkey would probably tell their cousin-neighbors to hand it over as part of the deal lol

I hope and pray to God Hellektor jan այդ կարտեզը իրականություն դառնա մեր կյանքում, և այդ օրը ես ու դու տեսնենք

#13 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Oct 22 2007, 11:54 PM)
Oh and btw, I LOVE your map. It is the most realistic thing I can imagine today, happening to Armenia and Diasporan Armenians alike. I just don't know how the Naxichevan deal would work out, but Turkey would probably tell their cousin-neighbors to hand it over as part of the deal lol

I hope and pray to God Hellektor jan այդ կարտեզը իրականություն դառնա մեր կյանքում, և այդ օրը ես ու դու տեսնենք

Hello Nor Hayastan jan,

Once again, do check the Wilson for Armenia website and do read Ara Papian's articles. I also find Armen Ayvazian's writings close to my heart.

It's up to our government to raise the issue slowly but surely. This Armenia is our ONLY hope of assuring our security and continuation of our civilization. While population growth is important, I don't give much about those disappointing J*wish estimates. No one can tell what will happen.

As much as I dislike to compare our lot with that of the J*ws, just look at Israel. I know they own and run America and much of the rest of the West, but in any case they are determined to stay in that hostile environment. In our case, the eastern half of Turkey and almost the whole of fake "Azerbaijan" is real historic Armenian territory as all history attests. Morally we are million times more in the right than the J*ws.

Oh, about Nakhijevan... I copy paste what I've said about this before:

The destruction of Jugha cemetery and all Armenian heritage in Nakhijevan is reason enough for Armenia to stop the talks and attack to liberate Nakhijevan.

Since all of 27000 Armenian monuments (cemeteries, khachkars, churches, monasteries, etc.) accounted for by Argam Ayvazian are feared totally destroyed, there will be no fear of unintentionally harming Armenian heritage. And since the indigenous Armenian population was ethnically cleansed in front of the eyes of the Soviet leaders and later in 1990s, there can be no fear of human casualties.

So why doesn't Armenia dispose of the parasitical infestation in Nakhijevan by carpet bombing the area and negotiates Armenian territory with the sore, genocidal losers?

BTW, there is no clause in the illegal Moscow/Kars treaty about putting Nakhijevan under Turkish protection. They are simply lying.

#14 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Armenian history, music, sports, politics...the usual stuff.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(Hellektor @ Oct 23 2007, 07:50 PM)

Oh, about Nakhijevan...

Hellektor, perhaps this would interest you. It's an interview with Jirair Sefilian where he talks about the fact that Nakhichevan should (and should've) be next on our agenda. Pretty good stuff in my opinion.

http://www.azg.am/?l...&num=2007092106 (may take time to load)

#15 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(AK-47 @ Oct 23 2007, 07:15 PM)
Hellektor, perhaps this would interest you. It's an interview with Jirair Sefilian where he talks about the fact that Nakhichevan should (and should've) be next on our agenda. Pretty good stuff in my opinion.

http://www.azg.am/?l...&num=2007092106 (may take time to load)

Thank you Kalashnikov, It's strange that this hasn't been discussed in hyeforum. Maybe I missed it here but I read this article on this forum.

While the article is interesting, the posters thought the part about allowing the "Azeri" garbage to remain in Nakhijevan a dangerous suggestion.

Here the excerpt:

Jirair Sefilian: "We are not going to force the population of Nakhijevan, Tatars by origin, to leave their homes. They must understand that they are new comers. I am sure that the population living there is very dissatisfied with its barrack-like form of life. Armenians are ready to live in peace with them, not to be rancorous. Armenia must recommend their security and provide educational, cultural and economic freedom, and roads, but the Armenian authorities must rule the region."

That vermin must be eradicated. Usually you dispose of garbage by relocating it to an uninhabited area or you just incinerate it. If they won't go back to Turkistan, they'll have to burn or thrown in a meat grinder and turned into dog food in order to be useful for a change.

#16 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

A bit too long but worth it. Translations will be appreciated.
From AZG
=====
Եթե կարող ենք վիճարկել այն
ԱՐԹՈՒՐ ՀՈՎՀԱՆՆԻՍՅԱՆ
Սեւրի պայմանագրով Հայաստանի Հանրապետության տարածքը պետք է կազմեր, ընդհանուր առմամբ, 162.000 քառակուսի կիլոմետր: Սակայն հետագայում կնքված Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերի արդյունքում այդ տարածքը կրճատվեց մինչեւ 30 հազար քառ. կիլոմետրի: Մենք արդյոք պատրա՞ստ ենք հաշտվելու Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերի հետ: Այս խնդրի, նշված պայմանագրերի վիճարկման հնարավորությունների եւ անհետաձգելի անհրաժեշտության շուրջ է մեր հարցազրույցը փաստաբան, ՀՀ փաստաբանների պալատի խորհրդի անդամ ՀԱՅԿ ԱԼՈՒՄՅԱՆԻ հետ:

- Որքանո՞վ էին իրավական Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերը, դրանց դրույթները համապատասխանո՞ւմ էին միջազգային իրավունքի հանրաճանաչ նորմերին: Ներկայումս արդյոք կա՞ն այդ պայմանագրերը վիճարկելու իրավական հիմքեր, վիճարկման մեխանիզմներ:
- Այս եւ ոչ միայն այս հարցերին պատասխանելու համար անհրաժեշտ է ձեւավորել մի քանի պատմաբաններից եւ միջազգային իրավունքի ոլորտում մասնագիտացած ու մասնագիտացող իրավաբաններից բաղկացած աշխատանքային խումբ: Այսինքն` մի խումբ, որը կկարողանա խորապես ուսումնասիրել առկա բոլոր խնդիրները, ինչից հետո եզրակացությունները կներկայացնի ՀՀ իշխանություններին: Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերը վիճարկելու համար, առանց ուշացնելու, պետք է ձեռնամուխ լինել այդպիսի մի միասնական աշխատանքի: Այն իր մեջ պետք է ներառի ոչ միայն հիշյալ պայմանագրերի բոլոր խոցելի կետերի վերհանումը եւ դրանց անվավերության հիմնավորումները, այլեւ այն դատավարական մեխանիզմների մշակումը, որոնց միջոցով հնարավոր կլինի միջազգային ատյաններում առավել արդյունավետ կերպով վիճարկել այդ պայմանագրերը: Այնուամենայնիվ, անդրադառնամ ձեր այն հարցին, թե որոնք են այդ պայմանագրերի վիճարկման հիմքերը: Նախ` Մոսկվայի պայմանագրի անվավերականության մասին:
1921-ի մարտի 16-ին Մոսկվայում Ռուսաստանի եւ Թուրքիայի կառավարությունների միջեւ կնքվեց պայմանագիր, որով իրավունքներ ու պարտականություններ էին սահմանվում ոչ միայն պայմանավորվող երկու պետությունների, այլեւ այդ պայմանագրի կողմ չհանդիսացող Հայաստանի եւ Անդրկովկասի մյուս երկու պետությունների համար: Մասնավորապես այդ պայմանագրով Թուրքիային եւ Ադրբեջանին էին բռնակցվում Հայաստանի մի շարք տարածքներ: Մինչդեռ, իրավունքի հանրաճանաչ սկզբունք է, որ պետությունների միջեւ կնքված որեւէ պայմանագիր չի կարող իրավունքներ եւ պարտականություններ ստեղծել այդ պայմանագրի կողմ չհանդիսացող պետության համար: Հետեւաբար Մոսկվայի պայմանագիրը չի կարող որեւէ իրավունք ստեղծել Թուրքիայի կամ Ադրբեջանի համար այն մասով, որը վերաբերում է հայկական հողերին, եւ, միաժամանակ, չի կարող պարտավորեցնել Հայաստանին` հաշտվելու այդ հողերի կորստի հետ:
Մոսկվայի պայմանագրի անվավերականությունը գիտակցում էին նաեւ պայմանավորվող կողմերը: Այդ իսկ պատճառով, Թուրքիայի պնդմամբ, Ռուսաստանը պայմանագրի 15-րդ հոդվածով իր վրա պարտավորություն է վերցրել «... Անդրկովկասյան հանրապետությունների նկատմամբ դիմել քայլերի, որպեսզի այդ հանրապետությունների կողմից Թուրքիայի հետ կնքվելիք պայմանագրերում անպատճառ ճանաչվեն սույն պայմանագրի այն հոդվածները, որոնք վերաբերում են իրենց»:
Պայմանագրի մեջբերված այս դրույթը վկայում է երկու չափազանց կարեւոր հանգամանքի մասին: Նախ` Թուրքիան եւ Ռուսաստանը փաստորեն ընդունում էին, որ Մոսկվայի պայմանագիրն անվավեր է, քանի դեռ դրան չեն միացել այն պետությունները, ում այդ պայմանագիրն անմիջականորեն վերաբերում է, եւ երկրորդը, որ Ռուսաստանը պայմանագրի կնքման պահին ուներ բավարար լծակներ` ստիպելու Հայաստանին, որպեսզի վերջինս ընդունի Մոսկվայի պայմանագիրը: Երկրորդ հանգամանքը կարեւոր է հատկապես Կարսի պայմանագրի իրավական գնահատականի համար: Այսպիսով, Մոսկվայի պայմանագիրը, առանց Հայաստանի համաձայնության, անվավեր է բոլոր այն դրույթների առումով, որոնք վերաբերում են Հայաստանին:
- Ռուսաստանը մի՞թե չէր գիտակցում դա:
- Գիտակցում էր եւ դրա համար էլ կատարեց Մոսկվայի պայմանագրի 15-րդ հոդվածով իր պարտավորությունը` Հայաստանին ստիպեց կնքել Թուրքիայի հետ Կարսի պայմանագիրը, որով Հայաստանի իշխանությունները ճանաչեցին Մոսկվայի պայմանագրի` Հայաստանին վերաբերող հոդվածները:
- Անդրադառնանք Կարսի պայմանագրին. հնարավո՞ր է հիմնավորել դրա անվավերականությունը:
- 1921-ի հոկտեմբերի 13-ին Կարսում, Ռուսաստանի մասնակցությամբ կնքվեց այդ պայմանագիրը Անդրկովկասյան հանրապետությունների եւ Թուրքիայի միջեւ: Միջազգային իրավունքը վավերական է համարում այն պայմանագրերը, որոնք կնքվել են միջազգային իրավունքի նորմերին համապատասխան, այսինքն` պահպանվել են պայմանագիրը կնքող կողմերին, նրանց կամքի արտահայտմանը, պայմանագրի առարկային եւ կնքման ձեւին վերաբերող իրավական պահանջները: Այլ պահանջների համաձայն, պայմանագիրն անվավեր է, եթե կնքվել է կողմերից մեկի կամ նրա ներկայացուցչի նկատմամբ հարկադրանքի ազդեցության տակ: Կարսի պայմանագրի 2-րդ հոդվածում հռչակված է հենց այդ սկզբունքը` «Պայմանավորվող կողմերը համաձայնվում են չճանաչել ոչ մի հաշտության պայմանագիր կամ միջազգային որեւէ այլ ակտ, եթե կողմերից մեկին ուժով են հարկադրել այն ընդունել... »:
- Արդյոք կարելի՞ է համարել, որ Կարսի պայմանագիրը Հայաստանի ժողովրդի ընտրած լեգիտիմ իշխանության կողմից, սեփական կամքով, առանց հարկադրանքի կնքված պայմանագիր է:
- Եթե Հայաստանի իշխանություններն ինքնուրույն լինեին իրենց որոշումներում, ապա Ռուսաստանը չէր կարող Մոսկվայի պայմանագրի 15-րդ հոդվածում պարտավորվել «...Անդրկովկասյան հանրապետությունների նկատմամբ դիմել քայլերի, որպեսզի այդ հանրապետությունների կողմից Թուրքիայի հետ կնքվելիք պայմանագրերում անպատճառ ճանաչվեն սույն Պայմանագրի այն հոդվածները, որոնք վերաբերում են իրենց»: Այն, որ Ռուսաստանը նշված պարտավորությունն էր ստանձնել, վկայում է այն մասին, որ նա բավարար լծակներ ուներ` Հայաստանի իշխանություններին այդ պայմանագրերը թելադրելու համար: Թուրքիան, իր հերթին, համոզված էր, որ Ռուսաստանն ունի այդ լծակները եւ գործադրելու է դրանք, հակառակ դեպքում հիմք չէր ընդունի Ռուսաստանի այդ պարտավորությունը:
Կարսի պայմանագիրը Հայաստանի կողմից ստորագրել են Արտաքին գործերի ժողովրդական կոմիսար Ասքանազ Մռավյանը եւ Ներքին գործերի ժողովրդական կոմիսար Պողոս Մակինցյանը: Հայաստանի ղեկավարներն էին Վ. Լենինի ցուցումով եւ ՌԿ(բ)Կ Կենտկոմի որոշմամբ Սովետական Հայաստան ուղարկված Ա. Մյասնիկյանը եւ Ս. Լուկաշինը: Հասկանալի է, որ Խորհրդային Հայաստանի քաղաքականությունը ամբողջությամբ կախված էր Մոսկվայից եւ Հայաստանի իշխանությունները չէին կարող չստորագրել Կարսի պայմանագիրը: Այսպիսով, Հայաստանը որպես պայմանագրի մասնակից, զուրկ է եղել իր իրական կամքն արտահայտելու հնարավորությունից եւ Կարսի պայմանագրի կողմերի միջեւ իրականում որեւէ համաձայնություն ձեռք չի բերվել: Միջազգային իրավունքի տեսանկյունից նման պայմանագիրն անվավեր է ի սկզբանե:
- Միջազգային իրավունքի ուրիշ ի՞նչ սկզբունքներ են խախտվել Կարսի պայմանագրի կնքմամբ:
- Պակաս կարեւոր չէ նաեւ այն, որ Կարսի պայմանագիրը կնքվել է իրավահավասարության սկզբունքի խախտմամբ: Մրջազգային պայմանագիրը համարվում է իրավահավասար, եթե կնքվել է կողմերի ինքնիշխանության, կամավորության եւ նրանց ներքին գործերին չմիջամտելու սկզբունքների պահպանմամբ: Մինչդեռ վերը նշված փաստերը վկայում են, որ Կարսի պայմանագրի կնքման ժամանակ խոսք լինել չէր կարող իրավահավասարության մասին:
Խախտվել է նաեւ ժողովրդի ինքնորոշման իրավունքը: Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերի արդյունքում Թուրքիային եւ Ադրբեջանին են անցել մի շարք այնպիսի տարածքներ, որոնք ոչ միայն պատմականորեն հայկական են, այլեւ պայմանագրի կնքման պահին դեռ հայաբնակ էին: Այսպիսով, պայմանագրի կողմերը (իսկ այդ պայմանագրերի կողմեր, ինչպես արդեն հասկանալի է, պետք է համարել միայն Թուրքիային եւ Ռուսաստանին) բացահայտ կերպով խախտել են նաեւ ժողովրդի ինքնորոշման իրավունքը: Մինչդեռ հենց Մոսկվայի պայմանագրի ներածական մասում կողմերը հռչակել են, որ հիմք են ընդունում, մասնավորապես, ժողովուրդների ինքնորոշման սկզբունքը: Նույն սկզբունքը հռչակված է նաեւ Կարսի պայմանագրի ներածական մասում: Սա նշանակում է, որ նշված պայմանագրերը հակասում են միջազգային իրավունքի այն սկզբունքներին, որոնց վրա հիմնվել են պայմանավորվող կողմերը: Սա եւս մեկ անվիճելի հիմք է պնդելու, որ Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերն անվավեր են:
- Հնարավո՞ր է հիշյալ պայմանագրերի վիճարկումը, երբ արդեն ավելի քան ութ տասնամյակ է անցել:
- Միջազգային պայմանագրի (հատկապես այնպիսի պայմանագրի, որով սահմանվում են պետությունների սահմանները) վիճարկումը ժամանակի ընթացքում անկասկած գնալով դժվարանում է: Իրավաբան-միջազգայնագետների շրջանում ընդունված է այն տեսակետը, որ պատմական իրավունքների վերականգնման հարցին պետք է վերաբերվել շատ զգույշ. խոսք կարող է գնալ այնպիսի խախտումների վերացման մասին, որոնք տեղի են ունեցել ոչ այնքան վաղուց` 1-2 սերնդի կյանքի ընթացքում:
- Իսկ կա՞ն հակաիրավական միջազգային պայմանագրերի հաջողված վիճարկման եւ իրավունքների վերականգնման օրինակներ:
- Բռնությամբ պարտադրված, անիրավահավասարության կամ այլ հիմքով հակաիրավական միջազգային պայմանագրերի վիճարկման շատ օրինակներ կան, ընդ որում, նաեւ ընդամենը մի քանի տարի առաջ, կարելի է ասել մեր օրերում արձանագրված օրինակներ: Մասնավորապես, Պանամայի կառավարությունը ՄԱԿ-ի Անվտանգության խորհրդի առջեւ 1973-ին հարց բարձրացրեց` Պանամայի ջրանցքի տարածքի նկատմամբ իր երկրի ինքնիշխանությունը վերականգնելու վերաբերյալ: Արդյունքում` ԱՄՆ-ի եւ Պանամայի միջեւ 1903-ին կնքված անիրավահավասար եւ ժողովրդի ինքնորոշման իրավունքը ոտնահարող պայմանագիրը վերացվեց եւ 2000-ին Պանամայի ջրանցքի տարածքը վերադարձվեց նրա օրինական տիրոջը:
Նույն կերպ վերացվեց 1887-ին Չինաստանին պարտադրված պայմանագիրը, որով չինական Մակաու թերակղզին հայտնվել էր Պորտուգալիայի տիրապետման տակ: Չինաստանի Ժողովրդական Հանրապետությունը հրաժարվեց ճանաչել այդ հակաիրավական պայմանագիրը: Երկարատեւ գործընթացի արդյունքում Չինաստանը 1999-ին կարողացավ վերականգնել իր ինքնիշխանությունը սեփական տարածքի նկատմամբ:
Վերջին տարիներին միջազգային ատյաններում օրակարգային խնդրի է վերածվել 1903-ին ԱՄՆ-ի եւ Կուբայի միջեւ կնքված անիրավահավասար պայմանագրի վերանայման հարցը: Այդ պայմանագրով կուբայական Գուանտանամո տարածքը հայտնվել է ԱՄՆ իշխանության ներքո: Կուբայի Հանրապետությունը ՄԱԿ-ում բազմիցս հայտարարել է, որ ԱՄՆ-ի կողմից Գուանտանամոյի տարածքի տիրապետումը ապօրինի է եւ ոտնահարում է Կուբայի ժողովրդի կամքը, իրավունքները եւ շահերը: Նշված խնդիրը մոտ ապագայում գուցե չի լուծվելու, սակայն միջազգային ասպարեզում Կուբայի համապատասխան քայլերը ԱՄՆ-ին զրկում են հետագայում տարածքի տիրապետման վաղեմությունը կամ Կուբայի լռելյայն համաձայնությունը իբրեւ պայմանագիրը վավերական համարելու վերաբերյալ սեփական պնդումների հիմնավորում օգտագործելու հնարավորությունից:
- Իրավունքի հանրաճանաչ սկզբունքների խախտմամբ Հայաստանից Թուրքիային օտարված տարածքների հարցը միջազգային բարձր մակարդակով երբեւէ քննարկման առարկա դարձե՞լ է:
- Չմոռանանք, որ ոչ այնքան վաղուց` 1945-ի հուլիս-օգոստոս ամիսներին, Երկրորդ համաշխարհային պատերազմում հաղթած երեք դաշնակից պետությունների ղեկավարները Բեռլինի (Պոտսդամի) կոնֆերանսի ընթացքում քննարկման առարկա էին դարձրել Հայաստանից բռնի կերպով Թուրքիային օտարված տարածքների հարցը: Հուլիսի 22-ին տեղի ունեցած նիստի ընթացքում անդրադառնալով նշված տարածքների հարցին, Ստալինը խոսքը փոխանցել է ԽՍՀՄ արտաքին գործերի ժողովրդական կոմիսար Մոլոտովին, որը, մասնավորապես, ասել է. «Մենք համարում ենք, որ ԽՍՀՄ եւ Թուրքիայի միջեւ սահմանը որոշ տեղերում անարդար է: Իրոք, 1921-ին Խորհրդային Հայաստանից եւ Խորհրդային Վրաստանից տարածքներ են օտարվել` դա Կարսի, Արտվինի եւ Արդահանի հայտնի տարածքն է... »:
Հուլիսի 23-ի նիստում անդրադառնալով նույն հարցին, Ստալինը հայտարարել է. «... Մենք համարում ենք, որ Ղարսի եւ Արդահանի շրջանում սահմանը սխալ է եւ մենք հայտարարել ենք Թուրքիային, որ եթե նա ուզում է մեզ հետ դաշինք կնքել, պետք է «սահմանն ուղղվի»: Ի դեպ, վերը կատարված մեջբերումները ԽՍՀՄ արտաքին գործերի նախարարության կողմից հրատարակված «Берлинская (Потсдамская) конференция руководителей трех союзных держав-СССР, США и Великобритании, сборник документов, Москва, Издательство политической литературы, 1984 г.» աշխատությունից են:
- Արդյոք կա՞ն միջազգային ատյաններ, որոնք իրավասու են քննության առնելու նշված պայմանագրերի անվավերության խնդիրը:
- Նմանատիպ իրավիճակներում հայտնված երկրների օրինակից ելնելով, կարելի է հարցը բարձրացնել ՄԱԿ-ի գլխավոր վեհաժողովում, որն, իր հերթին, անհրաժեշտության դեպքում, ՄԱԿ-ի կանոնադրության 96-րդ հոդվածով նախատեսված կարգով, կարող է բարձրացված խնդրի իրավական կողմի վերաբերյալ պահանջել եւ ստանալ Միջազգային դատարանի խորհրդակցական եզրակացությունը:
Անդրադառնանք խնդրին մեկ այլ տեսանկյունից: Պետք չէ մոռանալ, որ խախտելով Հայաստանի իրավունքները` վերը նշված անվավեր պայմանագրերի միջոցով տիրանալով հայկական տարածքներին, Թուրքիան խախտել է ոչ միայն Հայաստանի` միջազգային իրավունքի սուբյեկտի, իրավունքները, այլեւ, միաժամանակ, բազմաթիվ հայերի սեփականության իրավունքը, որոնք ստիպված են եղել Թուրքիայի տարածքում թողնել իրենց ողջ անշարժ գույքը: Ընդ որում, դա մի այնպիսի խախտում է, որը չի ավարտվել կատարման պահին, այլ շատ դեպքերում տեւում է մինչ օրս: Այժմ էլ կան մարդիկ, որոնք դեռ սեփականություն ունեն Թուրքիայում, սակայն վերը նշված իրադարձությունների պատճառով մինչ օրս չեն կարող տիրել իրենց սեփականությանը:
Վերը նշվածի առումով պետք է նկատի ունենալ, որ Մարդու իրավունքների եվրոպական դատարանը իրավասու է քննարկելու «Մարդու իրավունքների եւ հիմնարար ազատությունների պաշտպանության մասին» Եվրոպական կոնվենցիայի խախտումների վերաբերյալ բոլոր այն գանգատները, որոնք, սահմանված չափանիշներին համապատասխան, անձինք ներկայացնում են այդ կոնվենցիան վավերացրած ցանկացած պետության դեմ: Ինչպես հայտնի է, Թուրքիան նույնպես վավերացրել է Եվրոպական կոնվենցիան, ուստի Եվրոպական դատարանն իրավասու է քննելու նաեւ Թուրքիայի դեմ տրված գանգատները:
Եվրոպական կոնվենցիայի 1-ին արձանագրության 1-ին հոդվածը վերաբերում է անձի սեփականության իրավունքի պաշտպանությանը: Այդ հոդվածը, մասնավորապես, նախատեսում է, որ Կոնվենցիային միացած յուրաքանչյուր պետություն պարտավոր է յուրաքանչյուր ֆիզիկական կամ իրավաբանական անձի համար ապահովել իր գույքից անարգել օգտվելու իրավունքը: Սա նշանակում է, որ յուրաքանչյուր ոք, ով ներկայումս Թուրքիայում անշարժ գույք ունի, կարող է իր գույքը հետ պահանջել, իսկ չվերադարձման դեպքում դիմել Եվրոպական դատարան ընդդեմ Թուրքիայի:
- Այն, որ Թուրքիան Եվրոպական կոնվենցիան վավերացրել է 1990-ին, մինչդեռ հայերը Թուրքիայի տարածքում գտնվող իրենց սեփականություններից զրկվել են շատ ավելի վաղ, չի՞ կարող առարկությունների պատրվակ ծառայեցվել:
- Այո, կարող է պատճառաբանվել, թե Եվրոպական դատարանի իրավասությունից դուրս է այնպիսի խախտումների քննարկումը, որոնք տեղի են ունեցել մինչեւ անդամ-պետության կողմից Կոնվենցիային միանալը: Սակայն Եվրոպական դատարանը համանման իրավիճակում քննության առնելով Լոիզիդուն ընդդեմ Թուրքիայի գործը, իր 18.12.1996 թ.-ի վճռով մի նախադեպ է սահմանել, որը կարող է շատ կարեւոր լինել մեզ համար: Դիմողը` Լոիզիդուն, Կիպրոսի քաղաքացուհի էր: Եվրոպական դատարան ներկայացրած իր գանգատում նա նշել է, որ սկսած 1974-ից, Թուրքիայի կողմից Հյուսիսային Կիպրոսի բռնազավթման պատճառով, զրկված է եղել այնտեղ գտնվող իր սեփականությանը տիրելու հնարավորությունից:
Թուրքիայի կառավարությունն, առարկելով Լոիզիդուի փաստարկների դեմ, պատճառաբանել էր, որ խախտումը, եթե այդպիսին եղել է, տեղի է ունեցել շատ ավելի վաղ, քան Թուրքիան միացել է Եվրոպական կոնվենցիային, հետեւաբար նշված հարցը Եվրոպական դատարանի քննարկման առարկա լինել չի կարող:
Թուրքիայի առարկության կապակցությամբ Եվրոպական դատարանը նշել է, որ սեփականության իրավունքի խախտումը տվյալ դեպքում տեւական բնույթ է կրում` տարածվելով նաեւ այն ժամանակաշրջանի վրա, երբ Թուրքիան արդեն միացել էր Եվրոպական կոնվենցիային: Նշվածից ելնելով, դատարանը գտել է, որ տվյալ գանգատը վերաբերում է իր լիազորություններին եւ ճանաչել է Թուրքիայի կողմից դիմողի նկատմամբ Եվրոպական կոնվենցիայի 1-ին արձանագրության 1-ին հոդվածի խախտումը: Այսպիսով, Եվրոպական կոնվենցիայի ընձեռած հնարավորությունների օգտագործումը եւս մեկ ուղղություն է, որը կարող է արդյունավետ լինել մեր առջեւ դրված խնդիրների լուծման համար:
- Չժխտելով ձեր ասածի կարեւորությունը եւ այդ ուղղությամբ եւս քայլեր կատարելու անհրաժեշտությունը, այնուամենայնիվ, համազգային ու համապետական շահերի տեսանկյունից ավելի կարեւոր է ՄԱԿ-ի գլխավոր վեհաժողովում Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերի վիճարկումը եւ այդ փաստաթղթերի ուժը կորցրած ճանաչելուն հասնելը: Եթե դա հաջողվի, ի վերջո, կա՞ն միջազգային հարկադրանքի միջոցներ, որոնցով հնարավոր կլիներ իրագործել ՄԱԿ-ի գլխավոր վեհաժողովի որոշումը կամ, եթե Հայաստանը խնդիրը միջազգային դատական այս կամ այն ատյանում բարձրացնի, այդ ատյանի համապատասխան որոշումը:
- Աշխարհը չափազանց արագ փոփոխվում է, միջազգային հարաբերություններում «ուժի իրավունքն» աստիճանաբար փոխարինվում է «իրավունքի ուժի» կարգախոսով: Զարգանում են ոչ միայն միջազգային վեճերի արդյունավետ լուծման, այլեւ, ինչն ավելի կարեւոր է, միջազգային հարկադրանքի մեխանիզմները: Համաշխարհային քաղաքակրթության եւ միջազգային իրավակարգի զարգացումը, վաղ թե ուշ, հանգեցնելու են արդարության վերականգնմանը:
- Իսկ խնդիրը մինչ օրս չբարձրացնելու առումով արդյոք չե՞նք ուշանում:
- Գործընթացը, ինչպես իրավացիորեն նշում է նաեւ քաղաքական հետազոտությունների ինստիտուտի տնօրեն Հովհաննես Ասրյանը, պետք է սկսել հնարավորին չափ շուտ: Այդ հարցին մասամբ արդեն անդրադարձա: Անվիճելի է, որ արդարությունը, վաղ թե ուշ, պետք է վերականգնվի, որի համար, սակայն, միջոցներ պետք է ձեռնարկվեն արդեն հիմա: Ձգձգումները կարող են հանգեցնել նրան, որ հետագայում Հայաստանի Հանրապետությունն արդեն զրկված լինի Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերը իրավական մեխանիզմների միջոցով վիճարկելու հնարավորությունից: Չէ՞ որ «Միջազգային պայմանագրերի իրավունքի մասին» Վիեննայի 23.05.1969-ի կոնվենցիայի 45-րդ հոդվածին համապատասխան, պետությունն այլեւս չի կարող հղում կատարել պայմանագրի անվավերության կամ դադարեցման հիմքերի վրա... այն բանից հետո, երբ ինքը (պետությունը) իր վարվելակերպով պետք է համարվի լռությամբ համաձայնված, որպեսզի պայմանագիրը մնա ուժի մեջ... կամ համարվի վավեր: Այլ կերպ ասած, պետության լռությունը նրան զրկում է պայմանագիրը հետագայում վիճարկելու հնարավորությունից: Որպեսզի չհայտնվենք նման իրավիճակում, Հայաստանի Հանրապետությունը, առանց հետագա հապաղումների, պետք է պաշտոնապես հայտարարի Մոսկվայի եւ Կարսի պայմանագրերի անվավեր հիմքերի մասին, ինչպես նաեւ այն մասին, որ պատրաստվում է միջազգային ատյաններում վիճարկել այդ պայմանագրերը:

Edited by Arpa, 23 January 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#17 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

Arpa, the legality of Sevres treaty will come to light more and more. Few very important details should be addressed. The mandate given to the American president at the time Woodrow Wilson after the defeat of Turkey IS NOT arbitrary. The treaty itself stipulates the areas where the borderline should pass. It would be in Europe’s best interest to settle the Armenian-Turkish border issue before Turkey’s admission into the Union.

We are in a win-win situation. In case Europeans disregard this issue, there are more headaches in store for them afterwards, especially if Armenia boldly declares her very keen desire to establish good relations with the Union, but firmly not to talk about any kind or form of closer integration. As I said, Turkish –Armenian border is the most suitable border of Europe, provided we got back Trabzon.

Edited by gamavor, 23 January 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#18 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

The Arbitral Award on Turkish-Armenian Boundary
by Woodrow Wilson, the President of the United States of America

/Historical Background, Legal Aspects and International Dimensions/

Ara Papian, October 16, 2007, Brussels

Jus est ars boni et aequi (latin.)
(The law is the art of the good and the just).

After the end of the WWI – during 1918-1923, five international treaties were signed on Turkish-Armenian boundary. Chronologically these treaties are: the Treaty of Sevres (August 10, 1920), the Treaty of Alexandropole (December 3, 1920), the Treaty of Moscow (March 16, 1921), the Treaty of Kars (October 13, 1921) and the Treaty of Lausanne (July 24, 1923). Due to the shortage of time I will not elaborate on these treaties. However you can find their legal examination in the book “Legal Bases for the Armenian Claims” on the web site
www.wilsonforarmenia.am.

Due to final and binding character of the arbitral awards it seems the most appropriate to begin the elaboration of the legal instruments on Turkish-Armenian boundary with the most important document which derives from the Treaty of Sevres – The Arbitral Award of the President of the United States of America Woodrow Wilson, signed on November 22, 1920: “Decision of the President of the United States of America respecting the Frontier between Turkey and Armenia, Access for Armenia to the Sea, and the Demilitarization of Turkish Territory adjacent to the Armenian Frontier.”

1. The Historical Background of Wilson’s Arbitration

One and half year after the declaration of Armenian independence, on January 19, 1920, the Supreme Council of the Allied Powers finally agreed to recognize the government of the Armenian State on the condition that the recognition should not prejudge the question of the eventual frontier.1 The United States recognized the Republic of Armenia on April 23, 1920.2

On April 26, 1920, the Supreme Council meeting at San Remo requested the President of the United States: a) The United States assume a mandate over Armenia; b) The President of the United States to make an Arbitral Decision to fix the boundaries of Armenia with Turkey:3 As you know the Armenian mandate was rejected by Senate vote on June 1st 1920. Nevertheless the American answer to the second request was positive and on May 17, 1920 the Secretary of State informed the American Ambassador in France that the President had agreed to act as arbitrator.4 For the fulfillment of the task the State Department began to assemble a team of experts in mid-July - “The Committee upon the Arbitration of the Boundary between Turkey and Armenia”. As the Treaty of Sevres was signed on August 10, 1920, the boundary committee began its deliberations. The signing of the Treaty of Sevres is important because the compromis – the application for the arbitration – is included in the Treaty as Article 89. It must be underlined that the status of the compromis has nothing to do with the status of the main Treaty, i.e. with ratification or non-ratification of the Treaty. So as the State Department received the authenticated copy of the Treaty on October 18th it was sufficient for President officially to conclude the arbitration.

On November 22, 1920,5 Woodrow Wilson signed the final report with the enclosed appendices. The Full Report consists of 241 pages, the Report itself - 89 pages, and Appendices to the Report - 152 pages.

So under the arbitral award of November 22, 1920, the boundary between Armenia and Turkey was settled conclusively and Turkish-Armenian international boundary was subsequently delimited,6 as clearly states The Hague Convention7 (article 54 of the 1899; article 81 of the 1907)8: “The award, duly pronounced and notified to the agents of the parties, settles [puts an end to] the dispute definitively and without appeal.”9

2. Few words on the content of the Arbitral Award.

Pursuant to the Arbitral Award the title and the rights of the Republic of Armenia were recognized on the provinces of Van, Bitlis, Erzerum and Trebizond of the former Ottoman Empire. It was less than the half of the territory on which the Armenian title was recognized by the article 24th of the Mudros armistice on October 30, 1918. This drastic cutback was due to farreaching reduction of native Armenian population.

3. Now on the most important issue – on the present status the Arbitral Award

According to the official Manual of the Terminology of Public International Law of the United Nations, for the arbitral award to be valid it must meet certain criteria:
1) The arbitrators must not have been subjected to any undue external influence such as coercion, bribery or corruption;
2) The production of proofs must have been free from fraud and the proofs produced must not have contained any essential errors;
3) The compromis must have been valid;
4) The arbitrators must not have exceeded their powers.10

Let us step by step elaborate on the Arbitral Award to shed light on its present status.

Criterion 1 - The arbitrators must not have been subjected to any undue external influence such as coercion, bribery or corruption. In Armenian-Turkish boundary case the arbitrator, as was agreed in the compromis, (i.e. official note of the Supreme Council dated April 26, 1920, and article 89 of the Treaty of Sevres), was “the President of the United States” , namely Woodrow Wilson. President Wilson often was challenged for his policy and had various disagreements with other politicians and political bodies. Nevertheless, nobody and never has questioned his political or personal integrity and he never was blamed to act under external influence.

Conclusion:
It’s apparent and doubtless that the arbitrator “have not been subjected to any undue external influence.”

Criterion 2 - The production of proofs must have been free from fraud and the proofs produced must not have contained any essential errors.

As it was mentioned above the State Department mid-July 1920 organized a special task group. The head of the committee was William Linn Westermann, professor of the University of Wisconsin, specialist in the history and politics of the Middle East. The principal collaborators were Major Lawrence Martin of the Army General Staff, and Harrison G. Dwight of the Near Eastern division of the Department of State.11 It is obvious that all experts in the task group were knowledgeable, experienced and impartial professionals. Before Woodrow Wilson signed the final report it was accepted by the experts of the State and War Departments and of the White House.

Conclusion:
The arbitral passed through the United States Government’s three relevant
department’s scrutiny and inspection. It’s obvious that the experts were capable to
exclude any “fraud” or to notice any “essential error” in “the production of proofs.

Criterion 3 - The compromise must have been valid. There are several factors that prove the validity of the compromise.
Factor a) – The compromise was duly incorporated in the treaty. The consent of Armenia and Turkey, as well as of other High Contracting Parties, “to submit to the arbitration of the President of the United States the determination the question of frontier to be fixed between Turkey and Armenia” was done by the official note and by the inclusion of a special arbitration clause in the Treaty of Sevres.12
Factor b) – The compromis was duly negotiated.
The draft peace treaty was formally given to the Turkish delegation for the observations or objections on May 11, 1920. The Turkish delegation, headed by Tevfik Pasha [former Grand Vezier] officially acknowledged the receipt of the treaty.

Factor c) – The compromis was signed by authorized representatives of a lawful government. In 1918-1922 Sultan-Caliph Memed VI was the head of the Ottoman Empire, politically recognized legitimate ruler.13 Sultan represents the de jure Government.14

On July 22, 1920, Sultan Mehmed VI, the constitutional head of the state, convened a Crown Council which recommended in favor of signing the treaty, including the arbitral clause

[Article 89]
Conclusion – On account of the mentioned three factors the compromis was valid.

Criterion 4 - The arbitrators must not have exceeded their powers.
The compromis asked the arbitrator the following 1) to fix the frontier between Turkey and Armenia in the Villayets of Erzerum, Trebizond, Van and Bitlis; 2) to provide access for Armenia to sea; 3) to prescribe stipulations for the demilitarization of Turkish territory adjacent to the Turkish-Armenian frontier.

President Woodrow Wilson strictly remained within the assignment which has been prescribed by compromis. Wilson did not exceed his powers.

Final Conclusions

The Arbitral Award of Woodrow Wilson is sill a valid and binding document. The indispensable feature of arbitration award is that it produces an award that is final and binding

By agreeing to submit the dispute to arbitration - compromis - the parties in advance agree to accept the decision.15 Since the arbitral clause [the article 89 of the Treaty of Sevres] in addition to the lawful representatives of Armenia and Turkey was endorsed by the representatives of the 16 countries thus it is definitely binding for all of them and their successor states. It is obligatory for the United States as well not only as it was signed by the President of the country but most of all because it was sealed with the Great Seal of the United States thus it became part of the law of the land.

So, in spite of the long standing occupation, Turkey does not possess any legal title to the territory of «Wilsonian Armenia». After the arbitral award of the President of the USA, signed on November 22, 1920, Turkish de facto sovereignty over there is not more than an administrative control alike of Turkish status in Northern Cyprus. Thus the presence and all acts taken by the Turkish Republic in the “Wilsonian Armenia” are illegal and invalid, because the belligerent occupation does not yield lawful rule over a territory.

It is true that international law by itself will not be able to bring about a solution for the Armenian-Turkish confrontation. Nonetheless, there is no doubt that international law is the only way to bring about a just and peaceful resolution, thus a durable and permanent solution.

The political processes in the world are advancing with acceleration and they aren’t always in our favor. It’s time to make vital decisions and what is more to take critical steps. We do not have the luxury to waste the time.

Thank you.

1. G. H. Hackworth, Digest of International Law, Turkish-Armenian Boundary Question, vol. I, Chapters I-V,
Washington, 1940, p. 715.
2. The United States recognized the independence of Armenia, but refused to recognize that of Georgia and Azerbaijan . (H. Lauterpacht, Recognition in International Law, Cambridge, 1947, p. 11. Papers Relating to Foreign Relations of the United States, 1920, v. III, Washington, 1936. p. 778.) [hereinafter – FRUS].
3. The Treaties of Peace, 1919-1923, (Preface by Lt.-Col. Lawrence Martin).vol. I, New York, 1924, p. xxxii.
4 . Ibid., p. 783.
5. Cukwurah A. O., The Settlement of Boundary Disputes in International Law, Manchester, 1967, pp. 165- 166.
6. Cukwurah A. O., op. cit., p. 31. Hackworth, op..cit., p. 715.
7. The 1899 Convention was ratified by Turkey on July 12, 1907. (The Hague Court Reports, op. cit., p. cii).
8. This notion was comprised in article # 54 of the 1899 Convention with slightly deferent wording: “The award, duly pronounced and notified to the agents of the parties [at variance, puts an end to] the dispute definitively and without appeal.” ( The Hague Court Reports, op. cit., p. lxxxix).
9 . Ibid.
10 . Manual of the Terminology of Public International Law, op.cit., § 508, pp. 588-590.
11 . Ibid.
12 . The official full text of the Treaty of Sevres was published - British and Foreign State Papers, 1920. vol. CXIII, Printed and Published by His Majesty’s Stationary Office, London , 1923, pp. 652-776, [hereinafter - British Papers] and separately, as Command Paper 964 – Treaty Series No. 11 (1920), Treaty of Peace with Turkey, signed at Sevres, August 10, 1920, HMSO, London, 1920, 100 pages.
13. Arnold J. Toynbee, Kenneth P. Kirkwood, Turkey, New York, 1927, p. 151.
14. Harold Armstrong, Turkey in Travail, The Birth of a New Nation, London, 1925, p. 113.
15 . Ibid., p. 27.

#19 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:21 AM

They [Turks] had exhibited complete absence of common sense and a total misunderstanding of the West. They had imagined that the [Paris Peace] Conference knew no history and was ready to swallow enormous falsehoods.President Woodrow Wilson, June 26, 1919, Paris

#20 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

Today, Aug. 10, 2010 is the 90 year anniversary of the Treaty of Sevres.
---
http://hetq.am/en/po.../a-melqonyan-8/

Lausanne Never Anulled the Treaty of Sevres in Terms of Borders
[ 2010/08/10 | 16:02 ] region politics
Vahe Sarukhanyan
RoA National Academy Historian Says Sevres Still Valid
When asked by Hetq if the 1923 Treaty of Lausanne did not in fact annul and supersede the 1920 Treaty of Sevres, Ashot Melkonyan, Director of the History Institute at the RoA National Academy of Sciences said that such a view was a misrepresentation of the facts.
“Nowhere in the Treaty of Lausanne is it mentioned that the Allied Powers are rejected Sevres. The West just simply recognized the new Kemalist Turkey as a sovereign state. International rights experts must assist us in bringing clarity to these two events. Thus, the recognition of territorial integrity and the recognition of specific borders are two different things,” he stated.
For instance, Russia and Japan have recognized the territorial integrity of the other but Japan does not accept the Kurile Islands and Southern Sakhalin as Russian territory. Syria has not recognized the Sanjak of Alexandretta as Turkish territory, but the two nations officially recognize the territorial integrity of the other.
Mr. Melkonyan went on to say that Lausanne did indeed grant official recognition to Turkey but that there was no official definition of the new state’s borders.
He said that in the same way today Armenia recognizes Azerbaijan as a sovereign state but the issue remains the outline of the borders of the nation.
“None of us oppose the opening of the border with Turkey and the establishment of diplomatic relations, but the issue at hand is the recognition of the border itself,” said Mr. Melkonyan.
“I have a problem, as an historian, when they say that the sides recognize the existing border; in other words the de-facto and not de-jure border. No wonder Turkey was pressing for the ratification of the Protocols. It just so happened that the pressure of little brother Azerbaijan on big brother Turkey was significant. There is the oil factor as well.”

And now a cynical anti thesis from the same site;
http://hetq.am/en/he...370/#more-37370
An excerpt;

I constantly read many Armenians, supposed political experts, talk about the need to support Armenian claims to the ‘lost lands” in various international tribunals based on the Treaty of Sevres – a dead diplomatic document to be sure. There have been many in the diaspora, over the years, clinging to such ridiculous hopes. They have inculcated the youth under their sway to do the same.
Now I read that young people in Armenia are being similarly brainwashed as well. In Yerevan, they will be marching on the 90th anniversay of the Treaty of Sevres calling on the embassies of the United States, France and italy to “remember” their promises made to the Armenian people in 1920. These are the same Great Powers that conveniently sold Armenia down the drain in the face of a resurgent nationalist Turkey. It seems we haven’t learnt any lessons from the past.
The organizers of such events would do better to tell the youth to march on the Presidential Palace and have Sargsyan declare Armenia’s recognition of the NKR.
Why some still cling to such myths is baffling. To urge young people to take part in such foolish folly is even worse. It displays just how lacking Armenians are when it comes to drafting a political program based on the realities of the day….

Edited by Arpa, 10 August 2010 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users