• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:17 PM

Does anyone think gas prices are going to fall below highs of this/last year?

why?

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(armjan @ Apr 23 2006, 03:17 PM)  

why?

Gas prices will not fall at all, just the opposite is true. So far oil companies used every excuse in the book to increase the prices and saw the profits soar. Why would they decrease it, all their reasons to increase were assumptions and creative thinking. Now that the summer travel is upon us even if its going down it want be before winter. The oil barons are ruling the country lets not forget.

#3 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(armjan @ Apr 23 2006, 12:17 PM)  

why?

Gas will go up more as the high travel season is upon us after that it will very slowly come down. to what price I do not know.

Gas prices are not set by bush or any one specific person but rather on supply and demand. Americans are all happy buying hummers and escalades for a family of 2-3 and now wonder why the price is over 3 dollars. Also china and india are gas hungry as well.

the second major reason why gas is so expansive is because of americas tremendous debt. us has to give bonds to borrow and they keep printing paper to pay for those debts. and the dollar falls. and guess what is the only denomination that can be used to buy oil... smile.gif

#4 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(Azat @ Apr 23 2006, 03:17 PM)  
Also china and india are gas hungry as well.

That's right China and India are the factors that made global demand and supply almost equal (BP World Outlook stats for 2005). In this kind of situation (when supply almost equals demand) any "Katrina" or a "Nigerian revolt" or "US statement on Iran" can make the crude oil price (and gas as a consequence ) go up overnight.

Here is a pretty good summary: http://en.wikipedia....creases_of_2004

P.S. Barev Azat jan smile.gif

#5 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

I think the gas price increases are all Armen's fault. tongue.gif

#6 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(Armen @ Apr 24 2006, 02:23 AM)  
That's right China and India are the factors that made global demand and supply almost equal (BP World Outlook stats for 2005). In this kind of situation (when supply almost equals demand) any "Katrina" or a "Nigerian revolt" or "US statement on Iran" can make the crude oil price (and gas as a consequence ) go up overnight.

dude, where have you been, haven't seen a post from you in months.

#7 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(Armen @ Apr 24 2006, 04:23 AM)  

QUOTE(Azat @ Apr 23 2006, 03:17 PM)  
Gas will go up more as the high travel season is upon us after that it will very slowly come down. to what price I do not know.

Gas prices are not set by bush or any one specific person but rather on supply and demand. Americans are all happy buying hummers and escalades for a family of 2-3 and now wonder why the price is over 3 dollars. Also china and india are gas hungry as well.

the second major reason why gas is so expansive is because of americas tremendous debt. us has to give bonds to borrow and they keep printing paper to pay for those debts. and the dollar falls. and guess what is the only denomination that can be used to buy oil... smile.gif

I think you both hit a nail on the head. Lucid points.

#8 ddd

ddd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

Kenya should increase its output soon (plants damaged by hurricanes), which should ease the gas prices slightly, but the days of $1-2/gal are over..

#9 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

If gas is at $4+, I think we'll see the high travel season turn into the no travel season. That's why I got me an inflatable boat with 2 oars ... I guess I'll be rowing my arse around the local lakes this summer as opposed to driving out to Utah or something.

Gas will come down ... and it'll go back up ... and it'll come down ... on average it'll keep rising of course but in the mean time, any and all oscilation is possible. How do I know? Well, I don't. biggrin.gif

#10 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

Foreign Policy, Monetary Policy, and Gas Prices

by Ron Paul

The burning issue in Washington today is high gas prices, and it won’t go away anytime soon. Americans are not happy about paying $3 per gallon at the pump, and they want something done about it.

But price controls won’t work, and allegations of price gouging and “windfall profits” amount to nothing more than congressional grandstanding. No government official or politician is fit to define a “fair” price for gas or a “fair” profit for oil companies. This is not the Soviet Union. The last thing we need is centralized government planning when it comes to our precious energy supplies.

The price of oil, like everything else, depends on supply and demand. What we really need to focus on is how government keeps the supply of refined gasoline too low. This is not as easy as demanding price controls, and does not fit into 30-second sound bites. But as with so many issues, we must peel away decades of government interference to really understand the problem.

Most people understand that federal restrictions on exploring, drilling, and refining domestic oil have made us dependent on various questionable Middle East governments. We should expand this into a greater understanding of how American foreign policy increases gas prices here at home. Before the war in Iraq, oil was about $28 per barrel. Today it is over $70. Iraq was a significant source of worldwide oil, but its production has dropped 50% since 2002. Pipeline sabotage and fires are routine; we have been unable to prevent them. Furthermore, the general instability in the Middle East created by the war causes oil prices to rise everywhere.

The sooner we get out of Iraq and allow the Iraqis to solve their own problems the better. Soaring gasoline prices are one giant unintended consequence of the war, pure and simple.

Even so, many war hawks are seriously agitating for an attack on Iran – another major supplier of worldwide oil. They are not concerned one bit about the impact such an attack would have on the wallets of average Americans; their obsession with regime change in Iran trumps all common sense. But let me be clear: An attack on Iran, coupled with our continued presence in Iraq, could hike gas prices to $5 or $6 per gallon.

We also must understand the effect monetary policy has on gas prices. The price of gas, like the price of all things, goes up because of inflation. And inflation by definition is an increase in the money supply. The money supply is controlled by the Federal Reserve Bank, and responds to the deficits Congress creates. When deficits are excessive, as they are today, the Fed creates new dollars out of thin air to buy Treasury bills and keep interest rates artificially low. But when new money is created out of nothing, the money already in circulation loses value. Once this is recognized, prices rise – some more rapidly than others. That’s what we see today with the cost of energy.

If we want to do something about gas prices, we should demand greatly reduced welfare and military spending, a balanced budget, and fewer regulations that interfere with the market development of alternative fuels. All subsidies and special benefits to energy companies should be ended. We also should demand a return to a sound commodity monetary system.

And in the meantime, let’s eliminate federal gas taxes at the pump. That alone would save Americans 18.4 cents per gallon. By contrast, oil companies only make about 10 cents per gallon. So maybe it’s government that’s being greedy.

Oil prices are at a level where consumers reduce consumption voluntarily. The market will work if we let it. But as great as the market economy is, it cannot overcome a foreign policy that is destined to disrupt oil supplies and threaten the world with an expanded and dangerous conflict in the Middle East. And it cannot overcome a monetary policy destined to inflate our dollars into oblivion.

#11 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:54 AM

i heard SD has the highest gas prices in the country.

ouch

#12 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,281 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ May 9 2006, 11:56 AM)  
If gas is at $4+, I think we'll see the high travel season turn into the no travel season. That's why I got me an inflatable boat with 2 oars ... I guess I'll be rowing my arse around the local lakes this summer as opposed to driving out to Utah or something.

Gas will come down ... and it'll go back up ... and it'll come down ... on average it'll keep rising of course but in the mean time, any and all oscilation is possible. How do I know? Well, I don't. biggrin.gif

and your Jeep is only v6 ? or is it v8 ?

Saturday $82 for gas
the read light is on now - i have made up mi mind - Ebay time -
Sunday drove up to Big Bear and back - monday work and back
yesterday work > home depot >. back home -

it's less then 300miles

i'm just gonna post it on eBay and see if i can get dissent offer on it v12 is killing me

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(MosJan @ May 10 2006, 08:06 PM)  
and your Jeep is only v6 ? or is it v8 ?
i'm just gonna post it on eBay and see if i can get dissent offer on it v12 is killing me

MosJan is that the 12 speed bicycle you're talking about, or is it the 12 foot (pedal) scooter? smile.gif smile.gif
It is time to invest in the Hay Market. oops.gif there really is a (Saturday)Hay Market in Boston.
http://www.flickr.co...0@N01/18946506/
Along with the investment in hay (hart) it may also be wise to start a eshek/burro farm, those innocent animalsanimals not only use cheap "fuel" they also refertilize the land. smile.gif smile.gif
One wonders how people traveled fro Pasadena to Glendale and Aparan to Gavar before the invention of those 6 million eshek, oops.gif I mean horse power contraptions known as cars. !! smile.gif smile.gif
We hear stories about people stealing gas at the pump.
Where is that "hay thief/hartagogh" Vahakn??
You may also choose to read "hay" as Hye. smile.gif

Edited by Arpa, 10 May 2006 - 03:02 PM.

#14 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,281 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 10 2006, 01:38 PM)  
MosJan is that the 12 speed bicycle you're talking about, or is it the 12 foot (pedal) scooter? smile.gif smile.gif
It is time to invest in the Hay Market. oops.gif there really is a (Saturday)Hay Market in Boston.

it's an 2003 cl600 - do you wish to own one ?? Sip has a way of making it Hybrid - ask him - it might work on Hay

this *&^(*& car cost me way to much
5 driving tickets / most of them speeding
time to say good byeeeeeeeeeee

it's ready to go on Ebay

#15 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

Mos, I'll trade you the jeep for that! I'll take good care of it, I promise smile.gif

And the Jeep is I-6. The good old 4.0L that is no longer available.

Arpa, I'll PM you the hybrid thing biggrin.gif

#16 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,281 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

no problem Sip jan - after all it will only take a man of your Size in order for the hybrid thing to work wink.gif

#17 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

Nice car Movses. Will you let me borrow it when I have a hot date. Ohh wait that never happenes. Will you let me borrow it to drive on Glenoaks so I can get a hot date?

#18 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

Mosjan does your car have a license plate?smile.gif

Edited by Yervant1, 10 May 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#19 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE(MosJan @ May 10 2006, 03:51 PM)  
it's an 2003 cl600 - do you wish to own one ?? Sip has a way of making it Hybrid - ask him - it might work on Hay
this *&^(*& car cost me way to much
5 driving tickets / most of them speeding
time to say good byeeeeeeeeeee

it's ready to go on Ebay

cl 600 is my fav car, it looks sweet!
i seriously don't know how ppl can afford one.

#20 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,281 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ May 10 2006, 08:29 PM)  
Mosjan does your car have a license plate?smile.gif

nop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users