55 replies to this topic

#1 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:07 AM

Leukemia patient dies at 17
Family may pursue manslaughter or murder charges against Cigna for delaying transplant.

By Ryan Vaillancourt

LOS ANGELES — Attorneys for the family of 17-year-old Northridge resident Nataline Sarkisyan, who died Thursday hours after Cigna HealthCare reversed a decision to deny coverage for a potentially life-saving liver transplant, said Friday they will seek murder or manslaughter charges against the Philadelphia-based insurance provider.

Nataline's parents and only brother were joined by some 150 supporters in Glendale on Thursday to demonstrate at Cigna's office on North Brand Boulevard, and urged the company to reverse a decision to deny coverage for a liver transplant recommended by Nataline's doctors at UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital.

Supporters credited the rally as what sparked a change in heart for the company, which put out a statement less than an hour after the event announcing its decision to cover Nataline's surgery if doctors could proceed with the operation.

But Nataline, a leukemia patient who was besieged by a lung infection while on life support, took a turn for the worse Thursday night and the family took her off life support at about 5:15 p.m. Thursday, said Mark Geragos, the attorney planning to present a murder or manslaughter case to the Los Angeles district attorney. She died at 5:50.

The Sarkisyan family blamed Cigna for Nataline's death, which they said could have been averted if doctors had been able to proceed with a liver transplant.

Doctors first sought coverage from Nataline's family's insurance provider on Dec. 10 for the transplant, but the coverage was denied.

Nataline, who has suffered from recurrent leukemia since age 14, received a bone-marrow transplant from her brother on Nov. 21.

But complications tied to the surgery and ensuing chemotherapy caused her to develop veno-occlusive disease, a condition that shut down her kidneys and liver, Hilda Sarkisyan said.

Doctors immediately sought approval from Cigna to perform the liver transplant, a procedure they describe in a Dec. 11 letter to the insurance company as having a six-month survival rate of 65% in similar medical scenarios.

The company denied coverage, twice, calling the procedure "experimental, investigational and unproven."

During the 10-day period between when doctors first sought to operate and the company's decision Thursday to provide coverage, Nataline developed a lung infection that would have had to subside before doctors could proceed with a transplant.

The company's statement on Thursday defended the initial decision to deny coverage and called their reversal a rare exception.

"Based on the unique circumstances of this situation, and although it is outside the scope of the plan's coverage and despite the lack of medical evidence regarding the effectiveness of such treatment, Cigna HealthCare has decided to make an exception in this rare and unusual case and we will provide coverage should she proceed with the requested liver transplant," the statement said.

Nataline's liver-attacking disease, combined with her respiratory and kidney failure after the bone-marrow transplant, "is associated with an extraordinarily high mortality rate regardless of intervention and would be expected to substantially negatively impact the successful completion and/or outcome of transplant surgery," Cigna officials said in a Dec. 10 memo to Nataline's doctors on behalf of the company's medical director, Stephen Crawford.

The company's delay amounted to criminal behavior, enacted in order to save money, Geragos said.

"It's not only callous, it's not only conscious disregard for life, I believe it's also criminal," he said.

Nataline's brother, Bedig Sarkisyan, 21, said the surgery would have cost $300,000.

Cigna did not return calls seeking comment.

http://glendalenewsp...-nataline22.txt

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:38 AM

Tsavali e

Astvats Hogin Lusavori

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(MosJan @ Dec 22 2007, 03:38 PM)
Tsavali e

Astvats Hogin Lusavori

Ayo, Shat tsavali. Astvats nera matghash yev sourb hogin lousavoreh. Anoushik aghchik, amen tsnoghi srti patar.
Yev sa patahi Ameriakyoum ortegh, ayspes kochvats dramatirakan/capitalist drouyt@ chapeh madou kyanq@ loumanerov yev $$$$ nerov.
Tes the sa depq@ inch aghmouk e bardzratsel. CNN- el khosi ays niuti masin amen mi ropeh.
Btw. That MSNBC anchor Chris is from our village when her name was Chris Kapostascy.
Yes! Mark, sue their vartiks off!!
I will post the text below since, in time the broadcast will be taken off the air.
===
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22357873/
MSNBC.com
Family sues insurer who denied teen transplant
17-year-old girl died hours after Cigna finally agreed to pay for new liver
The Associated Press
updated 6:00 p.m. ET, Fri., Dec. 21, 2007
GLENDALE, Calif. - The family of a 17-year-old girl who died hours after her health insurer reversed a decision and said it would pay for a liver transplant plans to sue the company, their attorney said Friday.
Nataline Sarkisyan died Thursday at about 6 p.m. at the University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center. She had been in a vegetative state for weeks, said her mother, Hilda.
Attorney Mark Geragos said he plans to ask the district attorney to press murder or manslaughter charges against Cigna HealthCare in the case. The insurer “maliciously killed her” because it did not want to bear the expense of her transplant and aftercare, Geragos said.
District Attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons declined to comment on the request for murder or manslaughter charges, saying it would be inappropriate to do so until Geragos submits evidence supporting his request.
The family’s “loss is immeasurable, and our thoughts and prayers are with them,” Cigna said in a news release Friday.
“We deeply hope that the outpouring of concern, care and love that are being expressed for Nataline’s family help them at this time,” the company said.
Nataline had been battling leukemia and received a bone marrow transplant from her brother. She developed a complication that caused her liver to fail.
Doctors at UCLA determined she needed a transplant and sent a letter to Cigna Corp.’s Cigna HealthCare on Dec. 11. The Philadelphia-based health insurance company denied payment for the transplant, saying the procedure was experimental and outside the scope of coverage.
The insurer reversed the decision Thursday as about 150 teenagers and nurses rallied outside of its office. But Nataline died hours later.
“They took my daughter away from me,” said Nataline’s father, Krikor, who appeared at the news conference with his 21-year-old son, Bedros.
Despite the reversal, Cigna said in an e-mail statement before she died that there was a lack of medical evidence showing the procedure would work in Nataline’s case.
“Cigna HealthCare has decided to make an exception in this rare and unusual case and we will provide coverage should she proceed with the requested liver transplant,” that statement read.
In their letter, the UCLA doctors said patients in situations similar to Nataline’s who undergo transplants have a six-month survival rate of about 65 percent.
One of the doctors, Robert Venick, declined to comment on the case Friday.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22357873/

MSN Privacy . Legal© 2007 MSNBC.com

Edited by Arpa, 22 December 2007 - 11:23 AM.

#4 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(MosJan @ Dec 22 2007, 10:38 AM)
Tsavali e

Astvats Hogin Lusavori

poor poor baby...I saw the story all day on TV yesterday,I don't know anything about the transplant,but my heart breaks for the family.
Another board I visit was discussing her death,and they said they were disgusted by what happened,by Health insurance companies and that we should all see the movie sicko to see how twisted these health issues are.
I can't get her face out of my mind,poor poor baby....

#5 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:32 PM

tatement from Nataline Sarkisyan's mother, Hilda Sarkisyan: "We have a war here...They're the ones who caused this. They're the one that told us to go there, and they would pay for the transplant."

#6 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

Cigna HealthCare CEO's determined that by reducing individual human services it would increase corporate profits therefore justifying Murder.

Cigna HealthCare Corp. a Philadelphia based insurance company charged with the Murder of a 17 year old Beautiful Armenian girl.

Nataline Sarkisyan died at 5:50 PM Thursday, December 20, 2007

Privatization for Profit... aren't you afraid knowing that a CEO can consider his/her personal wealth over your personal health and safety in the medical and aerospace industries.

UCLA Medical Center
Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA
California Nurses Association
National Nurses Organizing Committee Council of Presidents
District Attorney Steve Cooley
Mark John Geragos
Rose Ann DeMoro

#7 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

Death by spreadsheet

#8 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

Teen's death sparks outrage at CIGNA

#9 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:23 PM

Family Presses for Cigna to be Charged With Murder

#10 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

those cigna people must of known approval is just a BS public relations move, i would be very surprised if cigna is not charged with some kind of criminal activity.

business and corporate profits......even on human life, be or not to be, mother f$%&&*(()))__++

I cant get over this, what a beautiful child, breaks my heart:(
hreashtaki pes acher uner, rest in peace

#11 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Dec 22 2007, 06:07 AM)
Doctors immediately sought approval from Cigna to perform the liver transplant, a procedure they describe in a Dec. 11 letter to the insurance company as having a six-month survival rate of 65% in similar medical scenarios.

http://glendalenewsp...-nataline22.txt

Six-month survival rate of 65% is huge due to her condition, I'm surprised the insurance compagny refused, a liver transplant for a liver failure is far from being experimental no matter what the initial reason is. But there is no information as to why she died, did she die from her liver failure, if so it is a win situation.

#12 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(Edward @ Dec 22 2007, 05:58 PM)
those cigna people must of known approval is just a BS public relations move, i would be very surprised if cigna is not charged with some kind of criminal activity.

business and corporate profits......even on human life, be or not to be, mother f$%&&*(()))__++

I cant get over this, what a beautiful child, breaks my heart:(
hreashtaki pes acher uner, rest in peace

Insurance compagnies standards are set according to the expected profits, this should be obvious. Sometimes it is not as simple, if a treatment will give a six month survival rate of 10% insteed of a 5%, it will be refused, because the person will have 90% chance of dying in the comming six months.

Also, we don't know still if her death is related to the liver failure, and probably the insurance compagny will do everything to leave doubt that it may not have been the liver. But it will be hard for them, given that they should not have refused for a six month 65% survival rate in the first place, it's huge considering the condition she was in. What makes it worst is that the type of cancer she has, and given that she recieved marrow transplant, she was already on immune modulators so there should not have been the need to put her in a more heavy treatment because of the transplant. (other then the antibiotics)

#13 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Dec 22 2007, 01:52 PM)
poor poor baby...I saw the story all day on TV yesterday,I don't know anything about the transplant,but my heart breaks for the family.
Another board I visit was discussing her death,and they said they were disgusted by what happened,by Health insurance companies and that we should all see the movie sicko to see how twisted these health issues are.
I can't get her face out of my mind,poor poor baby....

No one deserve to die this way. Cancer should be eradicated and this is why we must support research to get rid of this crap.

#14 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Es inch kextot asxarhum enq aprum...

Qani gnuma aveli em zzvum...

#15 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Armenian history, music, sports, politics...the usual stuff.

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

Another victim of the failed US healthcare system. Maybe it's time for these greedy arseholes to start saving lives instead of causing deaths. The United States needs to follow the example of its northern friendly neighbour, or its southern blockaded one, or maybe its old colonialist chap, or maybe even the namesake of french fri...i mean freedom fries smile.gif

#16 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(AK-47 @ Dec 22 2007, 06:54 PM)
Another victim of the failed US healthcare system. Maybe it's time for these greedy arseholes to start saving lives instead of causing deaths. The United States needs to follow the example of its northern friendly neighbour, or its southern blockaded one, or maybe its old colonialist chap, or maybe even the namesake of french fri...i mean freedom fries smile.gif

Our healthcare system isen't perfect, far from it. Many hospitals will probably not even propose the liver transplant with the debts they are in.

#17 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

what i don't understand is her parents jump into the civil and criminal law sue so early, for gods sake she is not burred yet.
this is just a bigining of the frenzy.

asi mi qani rope achq pakem, quns chtarav achik dematsna

Edited by Edward, 22 December 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#18 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

AK-47, did you know she was a member of the AYF? The Glendale chapter, I think.

#19 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(Domino @ Dec 22 2007, 06:59 PM)
Our healthcare system isen't perfect, far from it. Many hospitals will probably not even propose the liver transplant with the debts they are in.

True its not perfect but I don't know man, I still think our system is better than theirs, especially after watching a certain documentary by Michael Moore. Not everyone can afford the ridiculous amounts in the USA...

Edited by AK-47, 22 December 2007 - 06:28 PM.

#20 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Dec 22 2007, 07:21 PM)
AK-47, did you know she was a member of the AYF? The Glendale chapter, I think.

Kideyir iren? Too bad man sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users