Photo
- - - - -

My Eyes? Or increase of Armenian roles on US TV?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jan 9 2005, 04:15 PM)
http://members.tripo..._Dion/Daghlian/

Didn't realize there were so many Daghlians on the net...

... ohmy.gif "America's First Peacetime Atom Bomb Fatality"

WOW! Chalk up another first for Armenians! clap.gif huh.gif

Edit: By the way, the details of his death are downright disturbing unsure.gif

Edited by Seapahn, 09 January 2005 - 04:34 PM.

#22 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jul 4 2003, 06:37 AM)
Seriously, which shows are you talking about and what do they say in them? True, I don't watch much TV, but this is the first time I'm hearing this. I only know of that Simpsons episode where Skinner's past is revealed as an Armenian orphan turned into a rebel, but he ends up as an obeying son and principal of Springfield elementary school. So I'm quite curious.

I thought the voice was dubbed by an Armenian but it turns out that the character itself is an Armenian, quite cute.

Edited by kakachik77, 10 January 2005 - 07:14 PM.

#23 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (vava @ Jul 4 2003, 02:51 PM)
Although the Turks haven't done much better - did anyone catch that episode of SNL a while back??

Did anybody capture that SNL skit when Ben Afleck played an Armenian used car salesman in LA? The accent did not match, the looks somewhat did, it was kind of tacky. (Keshishian Motors was the place of his business smile.gif biggrin.gif )

Also, my friend in LA told me that there was an episode of "Queer Eye for the Straingt Guy" where the straight guy was in love with this Armenian girl, well she was the girlfriend, then they taught him to say "yes kez sirum em" in Armenian so he would impress the girl...has anybody seen this?

Edited by kakachik77, 10 January 2005 - 06:49 PM.

#24 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 10 2005, 06:39 PM)
Did anybody capture that SNL skit when Ben Afleck played an Armenian used car salesman in LA?  The accent did not match, the looks somewhat did, it was kind of tacky. (Keshishian Motors was the place of his business  smile.gif  biggrin.gif )

Loved that one! "You want me to put it in first?" ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

#25 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 10 2005, 06:59 PM)
Loved that one! "You want me to put it in first?"  ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif

Welcome to Keshishian motors!!! naughty.gif

Edited by kakachik77, 10 January 2005 - 07:21 PM.

#26 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 10 2005, 07:10 PM)
Welcome to Keshishian motors!!! naughty.gif

Wow, etik moseen che imanum. I would have loved to see that, i'm sure he "butchered" it though. Ben Affleck can barely play himself, let alone a plausible Armenian. biggrin.gif

#27 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:44 PM

Hey guys, however the most shocking Armenian mentioning was in the movie "A Day Without a Mexian". I won't give it away since it's an essential part of the film, it was more or less in a positive light, more like acknowledging the presence of Armenians in California.

#28 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 10 2005, 08:39 PM)
Did anybody capture that SNL skit when Ben Afleck played an Armenian used car salesman in LA?  The accent did not match, the looks somewhat did, it was kind of tacky. (Keshishian Motors was the place of his business  smile.gif  biggrin.gif )
Also, my friend in LA told me that there was an episode of "Queer Eye for the Straingt Guy" where the straight guy was in love with this Armenian girl, well she was the girlfriend, then they taught him to say "yes kez sirum em" in Armenian so he would impress the girl...has anybody seen this?

I saw that episode. It was actually very cute.
One one of the episodes of Law & Order, an Armenian was depicted as a thug, and a gangster. That discturbed me a lot.

#29 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 11 2005, 12:44 PM)
Hey guys, however the most shocking Armenian mentioning was in the movie "A Day Without a Mexian". I won't give it away since it's an essential part of the film, it was more or less in a positive light, more like acknowledging the presence of Armenians in California.

I've heard little about that movie, I expected it to make more of a splash or uproar I guess. I need to rent it. Inchbes er? You should review it in the movie review thread. wink.gif

#30 Armen Half-Celt

Armen Half-Celt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:32 PM

in an old epsiode of Buffy the Vampire slayer, "Xander" mentions his father once tried to sell him to a bunch of Armenians

in an episdoe of Sister, Sister, one girl is shopping and is enthusiastic to vist "that Armenian shoe store"

In an episode of the show "Three Sisters" this one guy becomes friends with one of the sisters but (and only she doesn't notice) its only because "he wants to nail her". He makes a number of moves on her including a "friendship kiss", when she asked what he was doing he responded "my family is armenian and we sometimes do that".

the only time i remember other than that is a breif mention of armenia in Mt big fat greek wedding.

"Is Armenia close to Greece?"

"Well...not exactly"

Edited by Armen Half-Celt, 11 January 2005 - 03:32 PM.

#31 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Armen Half-Celt @ Jan 11 2005, 09:32 PM)
"Is Armenia close to Greece?"

"Well...not exactly"

I don't recall noticing that. smile.gif

#32 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:47 AM

The groom's mother was asking Nia (the main character of the movie) if Greek is related to Armenian at the dinner table.

Has anyone seen the movie "Why me?". I saw it more than ten years ago and no one I know has ever heared of it. It was a silly but still entertaining movie. I forgot most of the plot but two thieves played by Christopher Lambert and Christopher Lloyd steal a diamond called Byzantine Fire, from the Turkish General Consulate in L.A. where it is at a display and has a curse with it. The curse is that if any Turk even takes one glimp on the diamond the Byzantine empire will be restored. tongue.gif Naturally the word goes out and Armenian activists go after these two thieves. So do the Turkish diplomats and the cops. All the characters portrayed were very farcical and the Armenians were protrayed as nutcase fanatics in a very funny way. The Turkish Consul was more of a hysteric mafioso type with a white suite and golden neckchain trying to gun down the thieves with his machine gun from a Mercedes. biggrin.gif

#33 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

sounds like a classic!

http://www.imdb.com/...fc=6;ft=20;fm=1

And I do remember the Armenia being near Greece coment BTW...

Edited by THOTH, 12 January 2005 - 12:26 PM.

#34 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:29 PM

the actress who played the aunt in the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is Armenian and I have read an interview with the Nia Vardalos (??? is that her name) where she said that the grandma hating all turks thing was kind of a tribute to the Armenian cause wink.gif

#35 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 12 2005, 01:29 PM)
the actress who played the aunt in the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is Armenian and I have read an interview with the Nia Vardalos (??? is that her name) where she said that the grandma hating all turks thing was kind of a tribute to the Armenian cause wink.gif

Yes this is true - but having spent alot of time around Greeks I can assure you that Armenians do not have a Monopoly on hating Turks -not at all...lol

#36 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jan 12 2005, 02:46 PM)
Yes this is true - but having spent alot of time around Greeks I can assure you that Armenians do not have a Monopoly on hating Turks -not at all...lol

I didn't know that. That's interesting. As a side note: That's my favorite movie.

#37 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

My Barskahye friend told me last night, that new acclaimed movie "Sideways" has an Armenian wedding in it. One of the characters, jermak, marries a Hye girl in the movie. Haven't seen it yet but that's what my friend said.

peace

#38 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Jan 12 2005, 04:41 PM)
My Barskahye friend told me last night, that new acclaimed movie "Sideways" has an Armenian wedding in it. One of the characters, jermak, marries a Hye girl in the movie. Haven't seen it yet but that's what my friend said.

peace

thanks Sev-Marduk, I was going to go see that movie, I guess now I am going to run to see it smile.gif

#39 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Jan 12 2005, 03:33 PM)
thanks Sev-Marduk, I was going to go see that movie, I guess now I am going to run to see it smile.gif

Is that movie still out?

#40 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

Sideways - http://hyeforum.com/...ndpost&p=127530

Yes it is still out and playing

0 user(s) are reading this topic