27 replies to this topic

#1 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:41 PM

Since those Azeris have deleted again my post, I will post it here. Feel free to copy past it in Azeris and Turkish sites. :D

What really happened in the Conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan from news articles.

Newspapers articles giving a chronology of what happened.

"1,500 reported dead in Armenian riots," Detroit News Detroit (Mar 11, 1988).

"Armenian streets empty," Free Press Detroit (Mar 27, 1988).

"16 injuries reported in new Armenian riots," Free Press Detroit (June 21, 1988).

"Armenian Unrest," Detroit News Detroit (July 6, 1988).

"1 Armenian killed in Soviet ethnic clash," Japan Times (Sept 21, 1988).

"More than 80 people have been charged with criminal offenses in the anti-Armenian unrest that broke out in Sumgait, an industrial city on the Caspian Sea about 20 miles north of Azerbaijan’s capital, Baku.

[Akhmed] Akhmedov and two co-defendants, Ilgam Ismailov and Yavar Dzhafarov, went on trial at the Supreme Court on murder and arson charges October 18. Tass, the official news agency, said the three were charged with ‘organizing and taking a direct part in mass disorders accompanied by pogroms, acts of arson and murders’."
Associated Press (Nov. 20, 1988)

"Activities Say 12 Arrested at Christmas Celebration," Associated Press (Jan 9, 1989).

"Gorbachev opens Soviet Government Meeting on 'Urgent' Issues,," Associated Press (Jan 12,
1989).

"Armenians Continue to Leave Azerbaijan," Washington Times Washington, D.C. (Feb 20, 1989).

"2 Die in Ethnic Riot in Soviet Enclave," Chicago Tribune Chicago (July 12, 1989).

"An appeal to Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze," New York Times National (Sept 21,
1989).

"Azerbaijan Militants Seize Town Offices," Washington Times, Washington, D.C. (Jan 12, 1990).

"In Saturday night’s anti-Armenian riots in Baku, people were reported burned alive and a witness said women were thrown from apartment windows." Associated Press (Jan. 17, 1990)

"Most of the victims have been Armenians attacked by mobs in the Azerbaijani capital of Baku. Terrorized Armenians were said to still be fleeing by the thousands.

Soviet troops ordered in Tuesday to enforce a state of emergency have become caught up in the fighting, their efforts hampered by defiant nationalists who have been setting up blockades."
Associated Press (Jan.18,1990)

"The taking of Baku climaxed a week of turmoil that began when murderous anti-Armenian riots broke out in the city on January 13." Associated Press (Jan. 21, 1990)

"Armed units in black uniforms attacked 3 villages in the southern Soviet republic of Azerbaijan yesterday and ordered all ethnic Armenians to leave, the Interfax news agency said. The report said troops backed by helicopters and armored vehicles entered the Azerbaijani villages of Erkech, Manashid and Buzlukh, which are heavily populated by Armenians. The gunmen threatened the ethnic Armenians with death if they did not comply with the orders to leave." Associated Press (14 Jul. 1991)

Azerbaijan decided to change its own constitution, and decide to annex Karabagh not as their protectorate and an autonomous oblask, like it was supposed to be, but annex it as an integral part of Azerbaijan.

"Azerbaijan's Parliament voted to take control of the disputed territory of Nagorno-Artsax,
according to Soviet television,"
Wall Street Journal Bowling Green (Nov 27, 1991).

"In January alone, more than 60 Armenians were killed and more than 90 wounded, including many elderly and children killed in their houses by rocket fire" Associated Press (2 Feb. 1992)

Later, as a result of Azerbaijan fascist regime.

"Azerbaijan Attacks Armenian Enclave," Financial Times (Mar 8, 1992).

After Azerbaijan crimes, the Armenian side accept the intervention of UN peacekeepers to end up the conflict, and the redraw of both Azerbaijani and Armenian troops. But Azerbaijan side refuse.

"Azerbaijan rejected the use of U.N. peacekeeping troops to end four years of fighting with Armenia over the Caucasus Mountains enclave of Nagorno-Artsax.," Wall Street Journal Bowling Green (Mar 18, 1992).

"Armenia declared a state of emergency because of a worsening economic situation caused by an Azerbaijani blockade, according to a broadcast by Armenian radio.," Wall Street Journal Bowling Green (Mar 19, 1992).

"Armenia Captures Strategic Sites In Battle Over Caucasus Enclaves," New York Times National
(Apr 12, 1992).

”Azerbaijani forces captured more than a dozen villages in Nagorno-Artsax and killed over 200
Armenians in one of the worst clashes in the four-year-old war over the enclave.,"
Wall Street
Journal Bowling Green (June 15, 1992).

"Azerbaijani Troops Seized Another Town In The Disputed Nagorno-Artsax Region After An
Overnight Battle That Reportedly Left Dozens Of People Dead And Hundreds Wounded,"
Wall
Street Journal Bowling Green (July 6, 1992).

"Azeris Accused Of Artsax Shelling," Financial Times (July 10, 1992).

"Armenia Seeks Help in Fighting Azerbaijan," New York Times National (July 21, 1992).

"Azerbaijani jets 'kill 40 in raids'," Financial Times (Aug 24, 1992).

Azerbaijan then decides once and for all to ethnically cleans its Armenian population.

"Azerbaijanis Open an Offensive To Drive Armenians From Region," New York Times National
(Sept 23, 1992).

The Azeris are so good at quoting newspapers articles, like if the Armenian side are lacking of those, the chronology of those newspaper articles shows us what really happened and how it started and who has most of the blame to share.

Some reports from Times Magazine.

“According to a local television worker reached by telephone, the trouble started when a group of some 50 Azerbaijanis arrived in Sumgait from Nagorno-Artsax bearing word of ethnic fighting there. The apparent result was a murderous backlash aimed at local Armenians. An Armenian resident of Sumgait, sobbing into the telephone, told Reuters that Azerbaijanis had gone on a rampage of rape and murder against Armenians. He said that seven members of a single family had been killed and that many Armenians were trying to flee the city.”

Time; Author: Thomas A. Sancton. Reported by James O. Jackson and Ken Olsen/Moscow “03-14 1988

“Over the next two years, more than 220,000 Armenians fled Azerbaijan. Those who remained behind in the disputed enclave of Nagorno-Artsax have lived under a virtual state of siege, relying on supplies airlifted from Armenia.”

Time; Author: JILL SMOLOWE Reported by John Kohan/Moscow 01-29-1990

“Azerbaijan is turning into a permanent crisis for Gorbachev. There have been two years of something approaching civil war over the republic's mostly Armenian enclave of Nagorno-Artsax, where more than 120 people have been killed. In Baku, Azerbaijani gangs have systematically terrorized Armenians. Violence has also broken out in the southwestern city of Jalilabad, where two weeks ago mobs took over the local Communist Party headquarters and police station, and are threatening to elect their own leaders.”

Time; Author: Bruce W. Nelan. Reported by Dean Fischer/Cairo and John Kohan/Moscow 01-15-1990

We can remark, how the articles from newspapers are abound in number, showing us whow were really responsible of the conflict.

Here a little about the role of the media in the conflict, and the way the Azeris side has used it.

The Role of Media in Reporting Ethnic Conflict, Conflict Management Group, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. January 1994, page 31-32

Dan Sneider, Moscow correspondent, Christian Science Monitor

“I would like to talk as a working journalist to my colleagues here, because although this discussion has been very interesting and often provocative, it is a little bit too abstract for my own taste. I would like to talk about these guidelines in terms of concrete situations.

This first question of balance and providing unbiased and accurate coverage of each side of the conflict: I have covered the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan for three years now. The principle of balance is a great principle but often hard to accomplish in reality. Let me give you the example of the events in Khozhali. I was in Moscow when the stories came out of Khozhali saying there was this tremendous massacre of civilians by Armenian forces, there were gruesome stories, some TV footage, but it was very hard to figure out what exactly the pictures were of, and the numbers of people described as being killed, and the circumstances varied depending upon the account. I decided to go to Nagorno-Artsax, but I went through the Armenian side because I wanted to get into Artsax itself which at that point was controlled, as it is now, by the Armenians.

Before I left, I had heard of all these reports, I talked to one Western news photographer who had been on the scene. But even he had not actually seen the events himself. His account was based on having been flown up to a mountain side by the Azeris in a helicopter to take photographs of bodies on the hillside, bodies which seemed to indicate that they were of civilians, but also adult men, but seemed to indicate that they had been shot at close range. So I had that information together with all the other conflicting reports. I made my way to Artsax and spoke to the Armenian authorities there, who gave me their version of events which was of course completely different. They described the battle as they saw it. I interviewed soldiers who had been directly involved in the battle, who had been firing on Azeri forces. I was in Khozhali, I saw the city, the damage that was done, some of the damage fit the description of the battle that I got from the Armenian side, which was that there was a big battle, the Azeris tried to move out of the town under fire, it was in the middle of the night, they fired on everything that they saw…

I agree that it would be good to be able to make an assessment, a judgment about maybe the absolute with or to some degree as much as you can make a judgment about the truth of what has happened. But a lot of the time you simply are not in a position to make that judgment. That's why I think the importance of balance is to insist that where you cannot ascertain the truth, you must present as accurately as possible what you do know, and then what the different versions of that event are from the conflicting sides, and I think that if you are a direct observer of the event, I think it is fair to make the kind of assessment that was talked about. But if you are not, you have to treat it as the perceptions of that event on both sides and how those perceptions are affecting the reactions and the responses, and the escalation of the conflict.”

The Fraud of Kojali, from the president of that time.

Interview of Ayaz Mutalibov(ex-president) gave to the Czech journalist Dana Mazalova, published in the Nizavisimaya Gazeta of April 2, 1992

Dana Mazalova:

“What are your thoughts about the incident in Khodjalu, which was followed by your resignation? Corpses from the fighting in Khodjalu have been found not far from Aghdam. It appears that these people were initially shot in the foot to prevent them to move further, after which they were hit with axes. On February 19, my colleagues had filmed these corpses. On March 2, the same corpses were shown scalped. It seems like weird games.”

Ayaz Mutalibov

“Those residents who survived the Khodjalu incidents have stated that whatever happened there was orchestrated only to create the scenario for my resignation. There were certain elements working the overthrow of the President. I highly doubt that the Armenians would provide revealing documents to the Azerbaijanis. I can only assume that certain people were interested in using those pictures at the plenary session of the Azerbaijani Supreme Council to place the focus of the attention on my person.”

Now, before continuing on that, lets post what the Azeris government has decided to do with the Armenians.

"One option is quite definitely not open; namely, any attempt to declare Nagorno Artsax to be part of Azerbaijan. That would be to reward those who indulged in aggression and invasion of a neighboring independent state, as well as to cause gross violations of human rights in total defiance of treaty obligations . . . We should remember the statement made by President Elchibey in June 1992, when, after opening full hostilities against Artsax, he said that if there were any Armenians left in Artsax by October they could hang him in the central square of Baku. It is a pity they did not! No amount of oil-lubricated waffle or diplomatic flannel in the West can excuse this clear statement of intent by a head of state. It has the underlying unequivocal ring of statements made by Genghis Khan, and we all know what his intentions were."

House of Lords Hansard, 28 October 1993, cols. 966-967

Shadman Huseynov, said about the president.

A rebel spokesman in Gyandzha, Shadman Huseynov, flatly denied this in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"All he wants is to clear Azerbaijan of Armenians," Huseynov said.

But the spokesman added that after the crisis, "If the people want him, then they could vote for him in a referendum."
Associated Press 20 June. 93

About Khojali.

On February 26, the Azerbaijani Interior Ministry released their casualty figures concerning Xojali, 100 dead and 250 wounded (COVCAS Bulletin, March 5, 1992), including the OMON’s(Azeris gorillas), when Azerbaijani government reported to the media’s around the world that 1000 civilians have been exterminated. There has been no investigation; the Azerbaijani government refused any possible investigations. They also hide the fact that Xojali was used as bases for GRAD rocket launchers.

Armenians before attacking Xojali gave an ultimatum for their entrance in the city, after that dozens of GRAD’s were been fired from the city to Armenian civilian zone destroying a hospital.

Helsinki Watch in Baku on April 28, 1992 interviewed Azeri’s civilians, that recognised of having been told by Alif Gajiev (the head of the Azeris OMON in Khodjaly) : "They (the Armenians) made an ultimatum.. . that the Khodjaly people had better leave with a white flag. Alif Gajiev told us this on February 15. but this didn't frighten me or other people. We never believed they could occupy Khodjaly." (Helsinki Watch, p. 20) . They decided to not leave the city, when OMON peoples were hiding in Civilian areas. Another report from Helsinki Watch: "All Azerbaijanis interviewed who were in this group reported that the militia, still in uniform, and some still carrying their guns, were interspersed with the masses of civilians." (Helsinki Watch, p. 21) Another thing is that COVCAS Bulletin, April 9, 1992, on page 4 reported the ex-President of Azerbaijan, Ayaz Mutalibov speech on April 1992 that the massacre of Xojali was done by his political opponents to force his resignation.

What about the massacre of Armenians in Maragha village? Contrary to Xojali that was uses as military bases and attacks by militia’s, Maragha was just a simple villages, where CSI mission to Nagorno Artsax in April before Xojali incident investigated, where there was 45 corps of women, children’s and elderly, and that there was at least 100 missing. Or Sumgait massacre were hundreds died, and Azerbaijani government refused to lets any international investigators in, openly saying that there should be no Armenians left in Azerbaijan. At this time there was no Armenian troops there, what about Kirovabad? On November 21, 1988 the 40,000 of the Armenians have been deported and uncounted numbers killed, when without Russian entrance to stop the conflict, all the Armenians from Azerbaijan were about to be deported and killed.

In November 18, 1988 an Azeri-Turk was sentenced to death in Moscow for his role in the Sumgait massacre. Just the next day a mass demonstration of Azeris in Baku took place, 500,000 peoples, screaming the slogan “Death to Armenians” and “Armenians out of Azerbaijan” When Armenians were leaving by thousands.

Even Azeris eyewitnesses were admitting this. Azaddin Gyulmamed report : "We went to see what was happening. We saw these guys in the streets. I don't know who they were drug addicts, maybe. They had sticks and clubs, and lists of Armenians and where they lived. They wanted to break down the doors of Armenian apartments and chase them out. The police didn't do anything. They just stood and watched. Same with the soldiers, who had weapons. We asked them to help. There were about a dozen soldiers and ten of us, and there were about twenty in the gang, but the soldiers wouldn't help. They said: 'You can do it yourself, Blackie. We're not getting involved." Recorded by the Reporter Robert Cullen.

All this continue when villages in the Shaumyan region were emptied of their Armenian population. Armenian villages of Kirov (Bertadzor district) and Dolanlar (Gadrut district), were repopulated by Azerbaijani’s, when Armenian homes were distributed to them.

Goltz lies.

Goltz and his Turkish wife Dr. Hikran Goltz, are in an active propaganda war against the Armenians... also Goltz was one of the initiators of the news that more then a thousand Azeris have been killed in Xojali, with the Turkish correspondent Elif Kaban of the Reuters, and the photographers such as Oleg Litvin, Dunn Fatali, Mirnaib Hasan etc...

The ironic about this, is that Goltz having knowledge of the event, since he covered the deaths in Xojali, should have pointed out when the photographers that were with him photographing the pictures that were not mutilated 2 days before... what this mean, is that Goltz implication on lying should cost his job as a said journalist, since he was aware that the pictures that were taken were manipulated by the Azeris themselves. T. Mazalova from Czechoslovakia, like pointed out above, that was one of the correspondent there, was watching the tapes recorded of the deaths, one filmed on February 29 and the other on March 2, realized that in the first series of pictures the bodies were not mutilated, and on the second they were, when Goltz group of photographs took pictures from February to March 2, and being so, he would be one of the first to know that these pictures were build up scenes of mutilated bodies, that he Goltz was the one propagating to the World that more then a thousand of Azeris civilians were killed by Armenian forces. When Azerbaijani Interior Ministry released figures at first was of 100 casualties, later Helsinki Watch, published a list of the casualties(total number 181) based on a list provided by the Azerbaijani parliament, from 100 as official numbers they increased to 181... And what was the numbers submitted to the World? It was submitted by Goltz group, first to the Washington Post, he presented first a number(source ? practically nowhere to be found, he say having taken it from Imam Sadikov, that number later has been multiplied to 700, 1000 and even 1500) 477, then the medias, then it was presented to the London Sunday Times also pressed by him etc... From 100 as the official number to more than a thousand, now it is a question of between 600 to 700 by the Azeris side.

Armenians have used the Soviet constitutional law to annex the autonomous Oblask of Karabagh, that was only an Azeris protectorate, and not as an integral part of it. The Armenians used legal means under Soviet constitution, after that the Karabagh Armenians reported to the Azeris government in various occasions to stop the unjust treatments that they were facing for decades, when lately Azeris fanatics in 1988 entered in there, beating Armenians, this was presented at the Azeris Soviet council, and ignored.

Xojali has been proven to be a political tool by Turkey in order to turn the public opinion from the recognition of the Armenian genocide. Even the Turkish republic refuses to call the Xojali event genocide, or a premeditated killing, because they know that in Azerbaijan there is dozens of such events that happened against the Armenians, that will be turned against them, I have named few of them here.

700,000 Azeris refugees, the number of more then a million is found by the addition of the refugees from both sides, there as well as 350,000 Armenian refugees that are ignored by the Azeris side, preferring to use the total number of refugees(which include the Armenians), and present them as all being Azeris.

Edited by Fadix, 18 December 2003 - 07:42 PM.

• onjig likes this

#2 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:computers

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:07 PM

hug.gif to fedix

#3 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:05 AM

Fedix:

Thanks a lot for this post, even though I just came across to it two years later. smile.gif I didn't read it yet and I will undoubtedly; but thanks a lot for this. smile.gif

Edited by Anahid Takouhi, 16 October 2005 - 08:13 AM.

#4 HyeFedayis

HyeFedayis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

Well what do you think about Monte Melkonians quote?

"Khojaly had been a strategic goal, but it had also been an act of revenge."

From Markar Melkonian. My Brother's Road: An American's Fateful Journey to Armenia. New York: I.B. Tauris, 2005

#5 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

I wish our mods and ads would see it fit to merge and pin all that deals with this subject, be Khojaly or bokh-jali tongue.gif biggrin.gif
btw. Where is Khoja, Hagarag, AmericaHye, PhantomII ?
goof.gif goof.gif
Khojali was a stroke of genius.
A classic model of “Psychological Warfare”.
Yes, we know that a couple of decapitated torsos were sent over to show what can happen, while in the meantime acting as traffic cops, creating a safe highway of exit, showing them the safe way out. When those Azzis (in their language “az” means “rabid/khatghars”, chose to butcher their own people to show to the world how “savage“ the Armenians are. “Savage“?.So be it! Did they get the message?
Did we massacre 1 and ½ Turk Azeris? Maybe. How does that compare to 1 and ½ Million?
Don’t let them and their lies derail you and readirect your attention from the main issues as when they accuse us of desecrating Muslim landmarks.
Compare that to the following…
Karabakh Mosques Restored
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

Institute for War and Peace Reporting, UK

Karabakh Mosques Restored

Officials want to refute Baku's claims that Muslim monuments are being
systematically destroyed.

By Karine Ohanian in Nagorny Karabakh (CRS No. 411, 20-Sept-07)

Armenian experts are finishing the restoration of the two mosques in
the town of Shushi (known to Azerbaijanis as Shusha) that were damaged
during the war over Nagorny Karabakh.

Efforts are focused on the large Sunni Upper Mosque in the centre of
the town, next to the main market - a striking building of
multi-coloured stone that dates back to 1884. This follows the
restoration of the older and smaller Shia Lower Mosque and the
medressa in the town last year.

Both projects were organised by the French branch of Shen, an Armenian
charitable organisation.

Architect Oshin Yeghiazariants, who is overseeing the restoration
work, says he wants to see the mosque become a cultural centre
containing an art gallery, where representatives of different
religions can meet.

The town, once one of the great cultural and trading centres of the
Caucasus, had an Azerbaijani majority population in Soviet times. It
fell into Armenian hands in 1992 at the height of the war over Nagorny
Karabakh, and most of its buildings are still semi-ruined and
abandoned.

The towering 19th century Ghazanchetsots church in the town has
already been restored.

Following the end of the Karabakh conflict in 1994, another fight
began between Armenian and Azerbaijani ethnographers and historians
each claiming that the other side was systematically destroying
monuments that had belonged to the other community.

It remains a highly controversial subject, but attitudes are changing
slowly. In June, a joint delegation of Armenian and Azerbaijani
intellectuals visited Nagorny Karabakh, Baku and Yerevan, inspecting
all the cultural monuments.

The Karabakh Armenians' restoration of the two mosques - the two main
Muslim monuments in Nagorny Karabakh - was designed to refute
Azerbaijani allegations and generate good publicity for the Armenian
side.

Sarasar Sarian, who fled from Baku but now lives in Shushi, said,
`When it comes to the monuments of Muslim architecture being restored
in Shushi, I think that by respecting the culture of our neighbouring
people we are showing a positive example which others ought to
follow.'

Slava Sarkisian, who heads the department for the protection and study
of monuments in Nagorny Karabakh's culture ministry, told IWPR that
there are around 10,000 monuments in Karabakh and an inventory of them
is underway that will last many years.

Sarkisian said that around ten of the monuments were Muslim. `It makes
no difference for us whether it's a Christian or Muslim monument,' he
said. `We take the same approach to them - they are all under the
protection of our state and have a historical and cultural value.

`I couldn't say today that Christian monuments are in a better
condition than Muslim ones. There are villages where ancient Christian
buildings are being used as cow-sheds. I think it's mainly a matter of
people not caring or being badly brought up.'

The de facto Karabakh Armenian authorities say that the Muslim
cultural monuments are under their protection.

`In conditions of conflict in our region, adopting a respectful
attitude to monuments of `not our own' culture can serve as a means of
establishing trust between the conflicting parties,' Masis Mailian,
deputy foreign minister, and losing candidate in the recent
presidential elections, told IWPR.

Manushak Titanian, an architect and head of the non-governmental
organisation Art for Peace and Development, has been studying the
Muslim monuments and intends to publish a booklet with photographs of
them. He says their deterioration is largely the result of neglect.

`I have an extremely positive attitude to the idea of restoring the
Shushi mosque, because as an architect I think that a variety of
cultures in one town makes it very attractive, both for its residents
and for many tourists,' she said.

Karine Ohanian is a correspondent for Demo newspaper in Nagorny
Karabakh. She is a member of IWPR's Cross Caucasus Journalism
Network. The terminology used in this article was chosen by IWPR, not
by the author.

#6 irlandahay

irlandahay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Sep 22 2007, 10:46 AM)
I wish our mods and ads would see it fit to merge and pin all that deals with this subject, be Khojaly or bokh-jali tongue.gif biggrin.gif
btw. Where is Khoja, Hagarag, AmericaHye, PhantomII ?
goof.gif goof.gif
Khojali was a stroke of genius.
A classic model of “Psychological Warfare”.
Yes, we know that a couple of decapitated torsos were sent over to show what can happen, while in the meantime acting as traffic cops, creating a safe highway of exit, showing them the safe way out. When those Azzis (in their language “az” means “rabid/khatghars”, chose to butcher their own people to show to the world how “savage“ the Armenians are. “Savage“?.So be it! Did they get the message?
Did we massacre 1 and ½ Turk Azeris? Maybe. How does that compare to 1 and ½ Million?
Don’t let them and their lies derail you and readirect your attention from the main issues as when they accuse us of desecrating Muslim landmarks.
Compare that to the following…

I agree completely

and wtf is this garbage?! I was in shushi about 2 months ago. i walked downt its crappy streets and saw the people looking out of the crappy appartments. I saw the same buildings that haddnt changed in four damned years. We have the money, who the hell is gonna go to that mosque? why shouldnt we send a workforce with proper equipment to help the PEOPLE live better, to fix the city itself and not that dirty piece of azeri or persian scum. last I recall Artsakh is OUR land and not theirs, a mosque has no business in our country! Its for that same reason that I call it artsakh and not karabakh! if its our land and not theirs, then why do we keep calling it by its dirty azeri name? why should we give them more claim to it by leaving its name in turkish!

Armenian lands, no place for azeris, moslems, or turks!

#7 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Armenian history, music, sports, politics...the usual stuff.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(irlandahay @ Sep 24 2007, 05:50 PM)
I agree completely

and wtf is this garbage?! I was in shushi about 2 months ago. i walked downt its crappy streets and saw the people looking out of the crappy appartments. I saw the same buildings that haddnt changed in four damned years. We have the money, who the hell is gonna go to that mosque? why shouldnt we send a workforce with proper equipment to help the PEOPLE live better, to fix the city itself and not that dirty piece of azeri or persian scum. last I recall Artsakh is OUR land and not theirs, a mosque has no business in our country! Its for that same reason that I call it artsakh and not karabakh! if its our land and not theirs, then why do we keep calling it by its dirty azeri name? why should we give them more claim to it by leaving its name in turkish!

Armenian lands, no place for azeris, moslems, or turks!

While all you said is true and I agree, I think the reconstruction of the mosques were a strategic move by Armenia. The so-called "azerbaijan" has got the zionist media under its control and has accused us over and over again of destruction of mosques and cemetaries (very ironic). Armenia reconstructing these is a purely political move to show "the world" that it is actually doing the opposite. By doing this, it not only is making "the world" see "azeri" lies, it also gains the favour of our much needed friends, the Persians, who are Shi'a and who happen to be an Islamic Republic.

#8 irlandahay

irlandahay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(AK-47 @ Sep 25 2007, 08:24 PM)
While all you said is true and I agree, I think the reconstruction of the mosques were a strategic move by Armenia. The so-called "azerbaijan" has got the zionist media under its control and has accused us over and over again of destruction of mosques and cemetaries (very ironic). Armenia reconstructing these is a purely political move to show "the world" that it is actually doing the opposite. By doing this, it not only is making "the world" see "azeri" lies, it also gains the favour of our much needed friends, the Persians, who are Shi'a and who happen to be an Islamic Republic.

No I understand and of course your right. But I think the money should go to the people rather than a mosque. We can fix it eventually but when the people are starving and have nowhere else to live well... You understand what i mean? I couldnt stand shushi. I was ashamed of being there. Because im here with my ipod, my nice clothes in our big tour bus, and I cant do anything to change the situation there. It's so sad I dont know if youv ever been there but I was on the verge of tears. I just went back into the bus and didnt get out again. not cuz im snobbing them but because i dont want to insult them, i just felt terrible.

we have to build the city before the mosque...

#9 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:36 AM

take a Valerian drops first before watching this

http://www.youtube.c...B...081&index=0

in 9 parts

#10 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:06 AM

yes Sahakyantsin Haskanum em / linelov inq@s spyurqaHay
Hamakrum em Ayvazyanin / linelov Hye yev voch miyayn Hayaxos
sakayn shat mets Antipatya unem bleyan kochvats andznavorutyan n@katmamb / tsavum em en 2000 ashakertneri hamar ov kam um bleyani gaghaparov en metsatsnum

#11 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

a reaction of some Armenians around the world and Ararats statement/questions to Armenian TV

Dear Friends:

On September 4, 2007, Dr. Armen Ayvazyan, the director of "Ararat" Center For Strategic Research, was invited on Armenia TV in Yerevan to discuss on the matter of self determination of Artsakh ( Nagorno-Karabagh ) people and to his dismay and any prior knowledge of who were to be his interlocutors in the program he was confronted with headmaster of "Mkhitar Sebasttsi " educational complex, Mr. Ashot Bleyan , an outspoken and consistent opponent of the self-determination of Nagarno-Karabagh's people and Mr. Robert Sahakyantz a cartoon film maker.

The TV program which was aired on National television and You Tube has brought a rather stormy reaction from all sections of population in Armenia and diaspora and many have questioned the poor judgement and taste of television programmers in choosing and inviting controversial and discredited individuals such as Mr. Ashot Bleyan on this particular television program.

For your viewing, we would like to provide you with this You Tube video program. It is consisted of 9 parts for a duration of 72 minutes. We encourage you to watch it in its entirety. A good friend has mentioned that " Enemies of the Armenian people are within us and we are doing nothing about it! " Another friend has called that "A strong reaction from diaspora is needed.." Another concerned individual has said, " I say we prepare a petition and get as many diaspora and homeland Armenianns to sign requesting Bleyan's removal from his post, duties, etc." We have also included other remarks by other individuals who are outraged by viewing the program.

Feel free to provide your comments to You Tube or to contact@Araratfoundation.org. We strongly believe that diaspora and all Armenians need to react to the Bleyan-Sahakyantz phenomenon where their ideology of denial of anything Armenian- homeland, Artsakh, culture- is evident.

Best regards,

" Ararat Foundation "

The interview on You Tube is in nine consecutive parts. The web site is:

http://www.youtube.c...210799C6DCF3081

Please click on it.

The following response is from Armenia.

1) How is it possible that a person like Ashot Bleyan serves as the chief educator and principal of one of the largest state schools in Armenia? He is unable to think logically, he demonstrates his sexual complexes even during the TV talk-show, his ideology of denial of anything Armenian -- homeland, Artsakh, culture -- is inevitably affecting the ideology of the pupils of his school, where he carries on similar propaganda as well.

2) How is it possible that a state official -- and he is one -- conducts this anti-state, anti-army, anti-national propaganda?

3) Ashot Bleyan is also a convicted criminal, who has served his term in prison in the late 1990's on embezzlement charges. How is it possible that a convicted person is given such a responsible post of an educator for 2,000 schoolchildren?

4) How is it possible that the current Minister of education Levon Mkrtchian who is a leading Dashnaktzakan, who does not react to the fact that Bleyan is trying to educate "Yenicheries" out of Armenian children. While he either shall demand Bleyan's resignation or submit his own! The same could be said about the ARF's indifferent position to this question.

5) How is it possible that Armenia's Prime-Minister, who is the leader of the Hanrapetakan party and a candidate for the presidency of Armenia, out of about 1,000 schools in Armenia, chooses exactly Bleyan's school for his September 1 visit (the first day when academic year starts)? Check this site: http://www.armeniano...724d228f5f3278c

6) How is it possible that a leading Armenian TV channel pooh-poohs the importance of state language and doesn't provide any translation to a foreign language speaker? By the way, Sahakyantz has been living in Armenia for more than three decades and actually knows Armenian pretty well.

Harout Bronozian
Glendale, California

A response from Los Angeles

I say we prepare a petition and get as many Diaspora and Homeland Armenians to sign requesting Bleyan's removal from his post, duties, etc.The same with the other imbeciles, including the TV hosts.

Angela Barseghian
Los Angeles

Another response from UK.

This whole thing is so incredibly bizarre it's actually surreal! Here we have (or are supposed to have) a serious show about the most serious issue in Armenia, yet the two Armenia TV anchormen running the show hardly know anything either about the subject or how to chair the programme. The result is that apart from the political analyst (Armen Aivazian) the other two are all over the place talking about all sorts of things hardly related to the subject and are hardly ever stopped! Worse still the two fools who have no competence to speak on the subject (turns out one is a school governor and the bearded fellow (Sahakyants) a cartoon film maker!) end up actually dismissing Armenian culture, history , army, state... calling all these "a myth"! The fool in red (Bleyan) makes repeated and highly patronising and inappropriate remarks about "these beautiful girls sitting at the back" (remember he is supposed to be a school governor!) and he is never criticised or stopped by the two TV hosts apparently running the show! When this psychopath does say anything remotely related to the subject it is completely illogical and upside down, praising the Azeris for their tolerance and questioning the need for Armenian defence of the frontier, completely forgetting not only Sumgait, Baku and Ganja... massacres but also unleashing of full ethnic cleansing and war by Azerbaijan...! The man is clearly deranged and the big puzzle for me is what's the point of bringing such a character to a serious show? Further who appointed him to run a school? And how can he possibly continue as such after this show? Even in the most democratic European country if, as a state official, you publicly express views which are opposed to the state/government policy, and are so wildly off the mark, you have to resign as a state official. Apparently not so in Armenia though!

Actually I raised
these very points with the Dashnak Party chief Hrand Markarian as well as Mr Armen Rustamian in Stepanakert while we were all attending the banquet celebrating the inauguration of the new NKR President on 7 Sep. I asked them how their party could tolerate such an idiot as Bleyan as a school head while their party colleague Mr Levon Mkrtchyan is the Education Minister?! Hrand Markarian literally pointed me towards Mr. Zakarian, the Mayor of Yerevan who was also attending the banquet and said "tell him it is his responsibility"! When I asked "so what's the role and duty of your Education Minister and your Dashnak Party" Mr Markarian incredibly shrugged his shoulders and both top Party leaders evaded any clear answer.

It gets worse still! Armenian TV and media reports widely broadcast the Armenian Prime Minister's visit on September 1'st to a big school with 2,300 pupils. You guessed it! Yes it was the school run by no other than Mr Bleyan!

I told you this whole thing is surreal to the point of being absurd!

Bagrad Nazarian

Armenian Solidarity

UK

The Mission of "Ararat Foundation": The primary objective of "Ararat Foundation" would be step by step formation and development of an Armenian school of strategic thought ("Ararat" Center for Strategic Research). This would be an independent institution dedicated to promoting understanding and resolution of Armenia's security problems through a program of research, information and outreach.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ararat Foundation at contact@araratfoundation.org

To contact "Ararat" Center for Strategic Research, please visit http://www.ararat-center.org or e-mail us at info@ararat-center.org

We hope that you will find this information useful. Thank You.

#12 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(AK-47 @ Sep 25 2007, 09:24 PM)
I think the reconstruction of the mosques were a strategic move by Armenia. The so-called "azerbaijan" has got the zionist media under its control and has accused us over and over again of destruction of mosques and cemetaries (very ironic).

The funny thing is that the Republic of Armenia's government becomes cautious when the "Azeri" garbage whine like hyenas of the destruction of "Azeri" "heritage" by the Armenians. What heritage? How on earth can a "country" that's less than a century old have ancient heritage? The Tatars of the Caucasus buried their defuct dross and put a small stone they found lying around on top of the grave of the dead filth with no inscriptions or signs of any kind. After some time these wolf "cemeteries" were covered by soil and were lost. Not worth shitting on let alone wasting time destroying these wonders.

The problem is as you also point out, they have the **** media sucking up to them and, for instance, the burning of some dry weed by summer heat or the "Azeri" vermin itself gets the attention of the Eurofag Union and the piece of scum René van der Linden says: "Such cases caused by one of the parties to the conflict are very unpleasant", while neither he nor the Christ-killer Draculas would ever consider talking about the documented destruction of Armenian heritage in Jugha.

QUOTE(AK-47 @ Sep 25 2007, 09:24 PM)
Armenia reconstructing these is a purely political move to show "the world" that it is actually doing the opposite. By doing this, it not only is making "the world" see "azeri" lies, it also gains the favour of our much needed friends, the Persians, who are Shi'a and who happen to be an Islamic Republic.

I believe more than a political move, the Armenians have never been destroyers of monuments of others. Besides, if there are old mosques in the area, they were built by the Persians when the eastern part of Armenia was under Persian rule until the first quarter of the 19th century and not the nomadic, primitive, tent-dwelling, savage Tatar cattle-herders morphed into "Azeri" in late 1930s.

Edited by Hellektor, 30 September 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#13 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

having actually witnessed parts of the renovation of these mosques, and having seen them in there previous state some 4 years ago, (and desecrated them hahahah) i can say that though you are both right, i think the reason is far more simple than that (we at least from what i hear).
some soldiers and locals told me that iran has personally donated money for the renovation of those 2 mosques, why? considering that there are absolutely no muslims in the city, or the surounding area, is quite unknown to me, but all in all, though the artsaxcis properly showed me their disgust (i assisted to a peculiar scene, when about a dozen children began to throw a hail of rocks at the larger mosque, imitating my brother lol) they cannot complain because either way, the money is injected into artsaxs economy.

here is a pic of the renovations i took last summer, if you guys are interested.

Attached Files

#14 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Interesting article.Notice the bold part

Long jail term for newspaper editor confirms Azerbaijan's poor
ranking in world press freedom index

Reporters Without Borders condemns the sentence of eight and a half
years in prison and fine of 200,000 manats (230,000 dollars) imposed
yesterday on newspaper editor Eynulla Fatullayev because of an
article about Azerbaijan's support for US military operations in the
region. He was found guilty of `terrorism threat' (article 214.1 of
the criminal code), tax evasion (article 213.2.2) and inciting racial
hatred (article 283.2.2).

`Fatullayev's conviction is simply outrageous as there was absolutely
no evidence for these charges,' the press freedom organisation said.
`This prosecution and an earlier one were politically motivated and
mark a dangerous development for press freedom in Azerbaijan. We call
on President Aliev to display clemency and have him released. Our
hopes are also pinned on the European Court of Human Rights. It
should tell the Azerbaijani authorities that this travesty of justice
fools no one.'

Reporters Without Borders added: `The article for which Fatullayev
was convicted was just a foreign policy analysis. The authorities
used it to punish a journalist who, in their view, was overly
critical. This verdict comes amid a steady increase in harassment of
the independent press, which is why Azerbaijan was ranked 139th out
of 169 countries in our latest world press freedom index.'

Fatullayev, who edits two of the country's most important dailies,
Realny Azerbaijan and Gundelik Azerbaijan, was tried by a serious
crimes court in Baku headed by judge Mehdi Asadov, who ordered the
seizure of the newspapers' 23 computers as well as imposing the jail
term and fine.

The trial, which began on 10 October, focused on an article headlined
`The Alievs prepare for war,' which appeared in the Russian-language
Realny Azerbaijan in May. Fatullayev argued in this article that
Azerbaijan would be exposed to reprisals if the United States
attacked Iran and he cited possible Azerbaijani targets. The charge
of inciting racial hatred was based on the fact that he also warned
that this policy could revive ethnic tension within Azerbaijan.

After the verdict was read out, Fatullayev ironically thanked the
court for its `overly mild' sentence. He also referred to Elmar
Husseynov, the editor of the independent weekly Monitor, who was
gunned down in March 2005. In an article in March of this year,
Fatullayev accused the authorities of obstructing the investigation
into his murder. He received death threats following the article.

This is the second time Fatullayev has been tried and convicted this
year. In April, he was found guilty of libelling the army in an
article accusing the Azerbaijani armed forces of sharing
responsibility with their Armenian counterparts for the deaths of
hundreds of civilians during an attack by Armenian troops in 1992 on
the village of Khojali in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.

His two newspapers, Realny Azerbaijan and Gundelik Azerbaijan, have
been closed since May, when much of their material was confiscated on
the grounds of a violation of fire prevention regulations.

It was in May, after Reporters Without Borders added President Aliev
to its list of press freedom predators, that the authorities
announced that they would no longer cooperate with the organisation.
Azerbaijan fell four places (to 139th position) in the 2007 world
press freedom index. Seven journalists are currently in prison in
Azerbaijan.

#15 hagopn

hagopn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Jul 15 2003, 11:41 PM)
Since those Azeris have deleted again my post, I will post it here. Feel free to copy past it in Azeris and Turkish sites. biggrin.gif
What really happened in the Conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan from news articles.
Newspapers articles giving a chronology of what happened.
"1,500 reported dead in Armenian riots," Detroit News Detroit (Mar 11, 1988).

You are a kick ass young'n, whoever you are. smile.gif OK, I ckecked the forum, and you are from Quebec, one of my favorite places on the globe.

This is great stuff, really poewrful stuff, a chronology of press coverage in the western press. Very nice.

Thank you very much.

#16 HyeFedayis

HyeFedayis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

The Azeri party's main evidence, video survey made February 29 and March 2, 1992 by the operator Chingiz Fuad-oghly(Mustafaev), absolutely refutes the Azeri propaganda's fabrications. As it may be seen, Chingiz is walking by a filed dotted by corpses accompanied by Azeris, which confirms that the territory was controlled by the Azeri party. A supposition that Armenians seized the territories staking their life to gibe at the corpses and then give way to the Azeri operators is absurd.

"Perhaps, the most detestable fraud created by the Azerbaijani propagandists in recent years is the hoax of so-called Khojaly (Xojalli) Massacre. In late February 1992, when Armenian self-defense units had to disarm the Azeri military base in the town of Khojaly in central Karabakh, gunmen of the ultranationlist Popular Front of Azerbaijan (PFAP) slaughtered some 100 Azeri civilians who were fleeing the embattled town through a land corridor left for them by the Karabakhi Armenian forces.

Later, the PFAP gunmen mutilated the bodies of the dead Azeris and mixed them with the killed-in-advance Armenian hostages, which were taken prisoners by them a month earlier. Because the Armenian forces did not want to harm Khojaly civilians, they issued an advance warning of the attack, requesting the Azeris to allow any civilians to evacuate. This has been independently corroborated by Russian observers and by the testimonies of Azeri survivors of the attack.

Despite the obvious fact that the Armenian units by no means had any access to and never controlled the territory where the massacre took place, as it was located deep in the Azeri rear, late Azeri agitators ridiculously accused Armenians in killing Khojaly civilians, making a world-wide propaganda show out of this tragic event.

The exact reasons for why the PFAP's gunmen killed Khojaly's Azeri civilians remain unclear to date. According to some experts, it happened by mistake (by friendly fire), while in the opinion of the Azeri former president Ayaz Mutalibov it was a deliberate attempt to defame his administration by his rivals from the PFAP. It is notable that after the events in Khojaly Mutalibov was forced to resign.

It is also important to note that Azeri operator Chingiz Mustafayev, who filmed the dead bodies and later launched an independent investigation on the Khojaly events, was killed in Azerbaijan under mysterious circumstances, reportedly by PFAP thugs.

At any rate, the Khojaly slaughter highlights a key fact that Azeris are still a fragmented nation, parts of which continue maintaining strong regional identities, with tribal self-images sometimes prevailing over the identity as of "the Azeris." Under these circumstances, killing the representatives of a rival clan is not a totally unimaginable occurrence. (See interview with Ayaz Mutalibov in Nezavisimaya Gazeta newspaper, 2 April 1992, in Russian)."

#17 Haytoug

Haytoug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

http://www.haydjampa.../Khojalu-fr.pdf

Review of Events: Armenian Capture of Khojali, February 1992

By David Davidian

Events preceding the February 26, 1992 capture of Khojali by Armenian forces in Nagorno Karabagh allows one to view subsequent events with a context devoid of accusations of barbarism and genocide.

If such events during a conflagration are viewed without a context, as some suggest, it renders the neutral observer a predisposed conclusion. One can certainly view the fire-bombing of Dresden and Hanover, Germany during World War II as acts in indiscriminate barbarism, in isolation. However, such view loses meaning when removed from the greater context of war against the Nazi infrastructure.

Khojali is a village about 7 km north of Stepanakert, the capital of Nagorno Karabagh. Due to its geographic location, it was a staging ground for small-scale military operations and large scale shelling of Armenian villages and towns, especially Stepanakert.

By February 1992, Stepanakert was being shelled daily, much of that shelling coming from Azerbaijani rocket positions in or nearby Khojali. In an attempt to end the shelling of nearby towns and villages from this Azerbaijani position, Armenian forces attacked and captured Khojali. It is interesting to note that the CIS's 366th Motor Rifle Regiment was withdrawn from its position in Stepanakert through Khojali, after suffering death and destruction while stationed in Stepanakert.

The following are reports taken from the international press. It is also noteworthy that none of the events that led up to the February 26, 1992 attack on Khojali were videotaped or witnessed by any significant number of foreign journalists. However, immediately after the Armenian attack on Khojali, an orchestrated effort was made to document the event posthumously.

The following are the major events in and around Stepanakert and Khojali, preceding the February 26, 1992 capture of Khojali.

February 4, 1992: The Armenian villages of Berdadzor and Hasanabad in Nagorno Karabagh's Askeran region came under machine gun fire from the Azerbaijani village of Khojali.

February 14, 1992: Fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces in the town of Khojali in the Askeran region of Nagorno Karabagh.

February 16, 1992: Fighting reported between Armenians and the Azerbaijani town of Khojali in the Askeran region of Nagorno Karabagh. Two killed and others wounded.

February 17, 1992: Azerbaijanis continue to fire grad and rapira rockets on Stepanakert, the capital of Nagorno Karabagh. Over 300 artillery shells have been launched at the city in the past 24 hours- one shell every five minutes. An entire block of 31 residential buildings in Stepanakert has been demolished. The Gossnab [state supply] warehouse, the premises of the republican Procuracy and the Supreme Court have completely burnt out. Over 15 people have been
killed and several dozen wounded. The number of those killed and wounded continues to grow since corpses and mutilated bodies are still being dug out from debris of demolished buildings.

February 19, 1992: Over 20 people killed and many more wounded when Stepanakert was shelled with 180 missiles.

February 20, 1992: An Azerbaijani rocket attack on Stepanakert resulted in 17 dead and 34 wounded. More than 350 shells and rockets were launched at Stepanakert, from the direction of nearby Shushi, 218 of which were of the shrapnel type. Several dozen buildings were destroyed. Damage was also caused to the Supreme Soviet and television buildings, which were partly destroyed.

February 21, 1992: Thirty grad rockets were launched on Stepanakert, from the direction of nearby Shushi. At 1705 Moscow time, a second salvo was fired causing considerable damage. At 1845, 35 rockets exploded in residential areas. The town is on fire. Rescue work is being hampered by the lack of electricity, fuel, and water. Wounded servicemen were evacuated from the town. They had been injured on February 19, 1992, when the CIS 366th Motor Rifle Regiment came under fire.

February 23, 1992: Six civilians were killed and dozens hurt today as four salvoes of grad rockets were launched against Stepanakert, from the direction of Shushi. Eighty Grad shrapnel strafed the 366th Motorized Rifle Regiment, stationed in Stepanakert. One serviceman was killed, 10 wounded.

February 23, 1992: The 366th Motorized Rifle Regiment was bombarded yesterday from a Grad rocket launcher. Eight servicemen received injuries, two died, two near death, and six Armenians killed. The regiment expressed open dissatisfaction with the actions of the commanders who are observing neutrality at a time when Azerbaijani units are shooting not only at the civilian population but at servicemen who are not intervening in the conflict.

February 24, 1992: The command of the Transcaucasian Military District has ordered the troops stationed on the Azerbaijani-Armenian border to take retaliatory measures if they are attacked by Armenian or Azerbaijani guerrillas. The move was prompted by recent attacks on the troops stationed in the region and heavy shelling of 366th Motorized Rifle Regiment in Stepanakert.

February 24, 1992: Azerbaijani Army sub-units in Khojali, in the Askeran region of Nagorno Karabagh, launched an offensive in the direction of the Armenian village of Berdadzor in the Askeran region of Nagorno Karabagh with the support of armored vehicles. The Azerbaijanis simultaneously attempted to seize the compressor station of the Yevlakh-Nakhichevan gas pipeline. Armenian forces repulsed the attack and forced the Azerbaijanis to retreat to Khojali, after which intensive shelling of the Armenian villages of Noragyugh, Nakhichevanik, Lusadzor, and Dahraz, and the regional center Askeran began. The Armenian self-defense forces returned fire to take out the gun emplacement at Khojali.

February 25, 1992: Stepanakert was twice subjected to rocket shelling. At 1030 in the morning Azerbaijanis launched more than 150 missiles at residential districts and the territory of the 366th Motorized Rifle Regiment which is stationed there. On the night of February 25-26, another salvo from a BM-21 rocket launcher hit the capital. This time the missiles landed 500 meters from the regiment. Several soldiers from the 366th have been killed or wounded during continual Azerbaijani shelling.

February 25, 1992: Russian Radio reported that the Azerbaijani town of Khojali in the Askeran region of Nagorno Karabagh came under attack from Armenian armed formations, citing the Azerbaijani People's Front. The town was
reportedly "surrounded on all sides" by Armenians who included in their ranks
soldiers and vehicles of the 366th Motor Rifle Regiment. Radio Baku said although Khojali had been partially evacuated, it had not been surrendered, adding that "the Armenian bandits have been totally removed from Khojali."

February 26, 1992: The shelling of Stepanakert by Azerbaijani forces has been continuous for the past 24 hours. There are civilian casualties.

February 26, 1992: Armenian forces succeed in capturing the second largest Azerbaijani-populated center in Nagorno Karabagh, Khojali, in the Askeran region, which had also doubled as a potent launching point for GRAD missile attacks upon surrounding Armenian regions. Close to 300 Azerbaijanis and Meshketian settlers brought to buttress the Azerbaijani presence are killed while fleeing with Azerbaijani soldiers in retreat.

February 26, 1992: Russian President Boris Yeltsin had said Azerbaijani President Ayaz Mutalibov had contacted him vis-a-vis Azerbaijan's military status. Mutalibov said that if the CIS 366th Motor Rifle Regiment were withdrawn from Nagorno Karabagh, Azerbaijan would be prepared to join the CIS agreement, already signed by eight CIS states, on having "joint armed forces under a joint command."

February 27, 1992: Azerbaijani forces launched an offensive in the Khojali-Stepanakert direction in the Askeran region of Nagorno Karabagh. The offensive was preceded by three salvoes fired from BM-21 GRAD rocket launchers. Azerbaijani units used armored vehicles and helicopters, reports Krasnaya Zvezda. Just after the Armenians and the CIS's 366th Motor Rifle Regiment (carrying orders of retaliation if fired upon) captured and neutralized shelling positions in Khojali, during a civilian evacuation process fighting erupted between Armenian and CIS soldiers guarding this evacuation and Azerbaijani soldiers mixed in with these evacuating civilians. The result was the deaths of hundreds of evacuating Azerbaijani civilians and soldiers. Within hours of this event, news spread of a massacre of thousands of civilians by Armenian forces. Within several more hours video cameras were gathering footage of the carnage. Videotapes showing hundreds of dead bodies and grieving people made its way to Western press outlets. Some within days had to retract their claim of thousands of dead (the Boston Globe was one example). While the carnage was substantial, this event was used to oust the then Azerbaijani President.
Of the many international press reports, several are noteworthy. What remains to be explained, however, are the following four points. First, an unsubstantiated claim of 1,000 Azerbaijanis murdered and mutilated by Armenians; second, a regular Armenian-Azerbaijani dead body exchange shown as Azerbaijani deaths in Khojali, as shown on French television; third, a Czech reporter seeing the same dead bodies three days after the events Khojali, mutilated later in Aghdam; and fourth, the account by the Czech reporter asking
Mutalibov why Azerbaijanis were shot in the feet, a report that Mutalibov didn't dispute.

Press accounts
The Czech journalist Jana Mazalova conducted an interview with ousted Azerbaijani President Ayaz Mutalibov in Moscow. The following is an excerpt from that interview, "Azerbaijani Leader Ayaz Mutalibov Says 'Massacre Incident' Was Staged," which was published in the April 2, 1992 issue of Nizavisimaya Gazeta.

Mazalova: What are your thoughts about the incident in Khojali, which was followed by your resignation? Corpses from the fighting in Khojali have been found not far from Aghdam. It appears that these people were initially shot in the foot to prevent them to move further, after which they were hit with axes. On February 19, my colleagues had filmed these corpses. On March 2, the same corpses were shown scalped. It seems like weird games.

Mutalibov: Those residents who survived the Khojali incidents have stated that whatever happened there was orchestrated only to create the scenario for my resignation. There were certain elements working the overthrow of the President. I highly doubt that the Armenians would provide revealing documents to the Azerbaijanis. I can only assume that certain people were interested in using those pictures at the plenary session of the Azerbaijani Supreme Council to place the focus of the attention on my person.
A French reporter, Florence David from French Intel-5 TV, sent the following account to Paris on March 2, 1992.

According to Ms. David, on March 1, the Azerbaijanis and Armenians had agreed
to exchange, at a place near Khojali, the bodies of those killed during recent actions. During the exchange there were 100 bodies lying in a open field. While the exchange was proceeding, Ms. David said, "From nowhere and suddenly an Azerbaijani helicopter appeared in the sky, flew directly over the site of the exchange. It was full of Azerbaijani and foreign correspondents, who were taking pictures or videotaping the exchange. The next day, the Turkish press and television presented the pictures and videotapes as the 'massacre' of 'thousands' of defenseless Azerbaijani civilians by Armenians."

In conclusion, Ms. David said, "This was a sinister manipulation of the facts."
In a Rossiiskaya Gazeta article, "How 'Thousands Were Killed' in Khojali," French television correspondent Florence David said television reports shown in Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Russia picturing thousands of bodies of Azerbaijanis allegedly massacred in Khojali, Nagorno Karabagh, are "just a trick pure and simple."

According to her, the reports were filmed on March 1, 1992, when Armenia and Azerbaijan were exchanging their dead under an agreement brokered by the Iranian Red Crescent Society. The French journalist, who witnessed the exchange, maintains that under the terms of the agreement numerous dead bodies had been taken to a predetermined location for the exchange procedure. The key element of the story is that those were the corpses of Armenians as well as Azerbaijanis killed at "various times and places in Nagorno Karabagh." The French journalist says she saw television crews filming the dead bodies from helicopters and from the ground.
According to a March 26, 2002 article by the Bilik Dunyasi news agency in Baku, "Azerbaijani Opposition MPs Refuse to Vote for Azerbaijani Genocide Bill," at the March 26 plenary session of the Milli Maclis, deputies started debating a draft resolution "On genocide of Azerbaijanis in the town of Xocali (Khojali)." "The Bilik Dunyasi news agency already reported about the bloody events, which happened in this small town in Nagorno Karabagh on the night of February 25-26, 1992. Milli Maclis deputies reminded those present of the atrocities committed by Armenian separatists and their patronizers. On that night, the town of Xocali was razed to the ground and its population was killed and taken prisoner. About 5,000 people lived in Xocali. The fate of many is still unknown," began the report. "[Ex-President] Ayaz Mutalibov, [ex-Soviet Azerbaijani leader] Abdurrahman Vazirov, [ex-Soviet President] Mikhail Gorbachev, [former Azerbaijani internal
troop commander] Fahmin Haciyev, [ex-deputy speaker] Tamerlan Qarayev, [ex-army
chief of staff] Sahin Musayev, and many others are among the culprits," it continued.

"But when it came to voting on the issue, the opposition deputies refused to support the final document, with one vote. It became known that it is mainly Azerbaijanis themselves that are to blame for the Xocali tragedy and Azerbaijani genocide. That's why there was not a single Armenian surname on the list. For this reason, they reminded the participants in the session of the remarks by [Azerbaijani President Heydar Aliyev's brother] to MP Calal Aliyev:
the culprits on both sides of the genocide of Xocali's Azerbaijani population should be made answerable to an international court," concluded the report. Azerbaijani List of 167 Non-Combatant Deaths The chief of the Department on Questions of Law Enforcement and Defense of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Namig Aliyev, provided a list of Azerbaijani deaths in Khojali on the night of February 26, 1992. For reasons of space, the list included in this research has not been included here.

The list does not include those identified by profession as soldiers of the Azerbaijani National Army. The list includes the name, sex, age, and profession of the 167 victims. Of that list, 35 victims were either unidentified or it was not known whether these individuals were part of local Azerbaijani forces or civilians.

The Armenian response
During a discussion of the issue "On the Violation of Human Rights and Main Freedoms Throughout the World" at the 57th session of the UN Commission on Human Rights in 2001, the Azerbaijani delegation made a statement about the events in Khojali. In response, the Armenian delegation submitted information on the actual events of February 1992 to the chairman of the UN Commission on Human Rights.

The document, which was based on Azerbaijani sources, was also published that same year in the May 26, 2001 issue of the Armenian Weekly. The report, "Events in Khojali According to Azerbaijani Sources: An Armenian Response," is currently available at http://www.hairenik....history002.html

The official document stated that the Azerbaijani side had committed the atrocities there in the name of "political intrigues and the struggle for power" in Azerbaijan.

Conclusions

As these reports on the Khojali events suggest, the Azerbaijani arguments lead to an inability to substantiate a number of issues.

First, why was it necessary to attribute a regular exchange of Armenian and Azerbaijani deaths as only Khojali Azerbaijani deaths?

Second, why were bodies mutilated three days after they were dead, from areas not associated with deaths in Khojali?

Third, why does official Baku listing 167 civilian deaths in Khojali remain unreferenced by Azerbaijanis?

Fourth, how was it possible that video cameras and other documentation methods were well in place for this one event, whereas a planned massacre of 80 Armenian civilians by Azerbaijani soldiers in Maragha went undocumented? On April 20, 1992 Azerbaijani forces invaded the Armenian village of Maragha in the Martakert region of Nagorno Karabagh. In a matter of a few hours, the buildings were razed. Over 53 inhabitants of the Armenian village-mainly women and children-were killed in a beastly manner, their bodies so badly mutilated that they could not be identified. The surviving population of Maragha has disappeared without trace and 52 inhabitants whose names have already been ascertained have been taken as hostages by the Azerbaijanis. The majority of the latter are women and children.

Fifth, why were dead Azerbaijani bodies found shot in the feet?

A review of these facts leads to a number of conclusions.

First, while many people died during the Armenian capture of Khojali, its aftermath was planned for political reasons. President Ayaz Mutalibov was swept from office within days of this event. This unfortunate loss of life still continues to be clearly manipulated for political purposes today.

Second, there is no evidence of thousand(s) of deaths. All we have are videos of dead people, similar in nature to the Palestinian claim of hundreds of deaths in the West Bank town Jenin, after an Israeli military operation-later shown to be bodies taken from other places or recorded multiple times.

Third, it can be speculated that the deaths of so many soldiers of the CIS's 366th Motor Rifle Division sparked some form of retaliation, as per their orders. Since one of the major centers of Azerbaijani shelling was Khojali, their public departure towards Khojali could have easily been used for ulterior political ends. This is typified by the methods and unsubstantiated claims that remain until today.

Political Uses Today

During an on-the-spot interview with Siavash Novruzov, deputy executive secretary of the ruling Yeni Azerbaijan Party, conducted by L. Nuri of Azerbaijan's Russian-language Zerkalo daily on February 21, 2003 during the party's Khojali commemoration, Nuri asked if Yeni Azerbaijan would be participating in the Karabagh Liberation Army's commemoration of Khojali on the following day.

"No, because that rally is being organized by the opposition who had a hand in this [Khojali] tragedy," stated Novruzov. Yeni Azerbaijan's rally included banners reading, "Khojali Genocide, Worst Crime of the 20th Century."

Thus, even today questions are raised regarding the role of the Azerbaijani opposition in the Khojali events. However, if this was such a major crime, why do those that had a role in it remain free in Baku?

[This research was conducted in February 2003. The author is the director of
the Genocide Archive Project in Boston, MA. He can be reached via email at dbd@urartu.sdpa.org.]

http://www.panarmeni...date=2005-02-24

AZERBAIJAN BRIBES AMERICAN CONGRESSMEN?

Official Baku to create a centralized fund for financing lobby activities in the United States and Europe.

In the interview to "Liberty" radio station, an employee of the Armenian embassy in USA said that the government of Azerbaijan has paid a considerable sum of money to congressman Dan Burton who has recently come up with anti-Armenian statements. It should be reminded that on February 18, Dan Burton called his colleagues at the House of Representatives to regard the events of Khodjalou town as genocide, organized by Armenians against the Azeri. The American diplomat who asked not to announce his name, informed that the government of Azerbaijan had paid the honorarium to the lobby organization two weeks before Dan Burton’s speech.

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Burton is serving his third term representing the state of Indiana at the Congress. The influential member of the Republican party heads the House Committee on Government Reform. Burton was one of the initiators of the campaign against Bill Clinton, connected with Monica Lewinski. A radical supporter of the war in Iraq, Burton is also the informal leader of the "hawks" at the Congress. He is considered to be one of the most anti-Russian congressmen. More than once Burton has spoken out against the recognition of Armenian genocide. He actively cooperates with the political circles of the Turkish community of USA. Since 2001 Burton has been a co-chairman of the Turkish-American Friendship Group of the House of Representatives.

Dan Burton is in close connection with the largest American companies that deal with lobbying political and economic interests. His speech at the House of Representatives was the outcome of the contract signed by Azerbaijan with one of the mentioned companies. During the interview to the correspondent of "Liberty" radio station the Armenian diplomat mentioned that this is a campaign which was previously worked at by congressman Livingston who lost at the previous elections and is currently replaced by Burton. It seems that the company involved is "Cassedy & Associates" or "Patton Bogs". There is information that official Baku has tried to establish cooperation with those companies that can publish any statement at the Congress for a certain payment.

Azerbaijan has recently activated its lobby and this is confirmed by Valeri Vainberg the member of the electoral headquarters of US Republican party and the editor-in-chief of the Russian language "Novoe russkoe slovo" magazine, published in New York. In one of his interviews he agrees that Azerbaijan is really doing huge work to lobby its interests and the efforts return very well. "Every dollar spent for PR can bring back thousands of dollars. It is the best place for investments", Vainberg said.

For lobbying political interests Azerbaijan spends funds also from the state budget. Those funds by the way could be used for the construction of houses for refugees who still live in tents, dying of frost. The government of Azerbaijan ripps off money from socially vulnerable people and spends that money for lobbying. This can be proved by the interview of Novruz Mamedov to Azeri "Echo" magazine. Novruz Mamedov is the head of the international department of the president’s administration. Answering to the question whether there is a separate expense item in the state budget for lobbying the interests of Azerbaijan abroad, Mamedov said, "Of course, there are certain expenses for lobbying aims, but I am afraid to give certain figures…" The high-ranking official of the Aliev administration calls his compatriots to realize that the support of foreign politicians can be achieved with money only. He assures that "in the nearest future spending funds on such purposes will be considered quite normal in Azerbaijan". "We need to allocate more funds for that aim due to our current situation and neighborhood", Novruz Mamedov concludes.

It is quite clear that the government of Azerbaijan uses not only budget funds but also off-budget resources. By off-budget resources, funds generated from oil sales are first of all meant. "In this view the oil strategy that is implemented by president Aliev is vitally important", Mamedov says. It is easy to guess that the majority of funds spent for lobbying are taken from the Oil fund. The distribution of the financial resources of the fund is not supervised by any international financial establishment and even the country’s parliament. The authorities of Azerbaijan are currently discussing the issue of creating centralized mechanisms for financing lobby activities. "I think that soon this strategy will be clearly reflected in the budget.", Novruz Mamedov says.

The fact that in Baku they have decided to raise funds for bribing foreign politicians does not do credit to Azerbaijan. It is now obvious that the Azeri could manage to attract American congressmen with ideological considerations. Now after the failure of the "Azerbaijanian group" which was to be "knit together" at the House of Representatives by the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee Curt Weldon, Azerbaijan has to set hopes on money only.

24.02.2005, "PanARMENIAN Network" analytical department

"360 Degree. Khodjalou. A True Story or a False Genocide? Khodjalou. A true story or a false genocide?

Meskhetian Turks - victims of Khojalou events, who have become a tool and victim of Azeri political games, throw light upon the dark story invented by the Azeri propaganda machine. A documentary from Stepanakert. "

http://armtv.com/sch...c...c=tv&id=792

http://armtv.com/sch...c...c=tv&id=793
Talks on War. Khodjalou - 13 Years Ago
On February 25, 1992, Artsakh military forces formed a humanitarian corridor and offered Azerbaijan to lead out the peaceful citizens of Khojalou through that corridor. Azerbaijan military forces continuously bombed Stepanakert and nearby villages from Aghdam and Shoushi.

The only airport of Karabakh was located in Khojalou. The humanitarian corridor of Lachin being closed, and Shoushi - occupied, Karabakh disposed of air communication only.

At that time, the president of Azerbaijan Allaz Moutalibov confirmed that Armenians had really provided the humanitarian corridor for leading out people.

Today, Baku tries to use Khojalou events for concealing the butchery taken place in Sumgait on February 25-28, 1988.

Today, after 13 years, we are reviewing the history of Kojalou. Facts and proofs, unmasking the attempts of Azerbaijan to distort historical events. Memories from Khojalou. Watch on the First.

Bakou commémore Khodjalou pour mieux oublier Soumgaït

Une délégation de diplomates français a claqué la porte du Parlement de Bakou mardi, après des propos jugés attentatoires à l'honneur de la France. Les diplomates français, qui assistaient à une audience du Parlement azerbaïdjanais en qualité d'observateurs, ont ainsi réagi en signe de protestation après une intervention du député azéri Chamil Gurbanov, qui s'indignait de ce que le président français Jacques Chirac ait "l'audace" de reconnaître le génocide des Arméniens alors qu'il ne reconnaît pas le droit aux Azéris de dénoncer le génocide dont ils s'estiment victimes de la part des Arméniens. Ce génocide dont les Azéris s'estiment victimes renvoie à l'un des épisodes les plus sanglants de la guerre arméno-azérie au Haut Karabagh, la bataille de Khodjalou, dont l'Azerbaïdjan demandait mardi officiellement qu'elle soit reconnue comme un acte de génocide par la communauté internationale. Dans un communiqué, l'ambassade de France à Bakou a confirmé que les diplomates avaient bien quitté l'enceinte du Parlement azéri en signe de protestation, en déplorant "le regrettable incident qui s'est produit aujourd'hui dans le Parlement". Le même communiqué salue néanmoins "l'attitude correcte du président du Parlement, Murtuz Aleskerov, qui a rappelé à l'ordre le député, en ce jour de recueillement et de deuil en souvenir d'un épisode douloureux de la récente histoire de l'Azerbaïdjan".

Au-delà de l'incident diplomatique donc, l'Azerbaïdjan entend mettre à profit le 10e anniversaire de la bataille de Khodjalou, au cours de laquelle, selon la version officielle de Bakou, 613 civils azéris auraient trouvé la mort, pour alimenter sa propagande contre les Arméniens, présentés comme les agresseurs, et accessoirement, comme les auteurs d'un génocide contre le peuple azéri, allié et cousin des Turcs qui sont accusés eux-mêmes d'avoir perpétré le premier génocide du XXe siècle contre les Arméniens. La boucle serait ainsi bouclée, les victimes étant devenues des bourreaux. Le président azerbaïdjanais, de son côté, a tenu à souligner que "la tragédie de Khodjalou constitue l'épisode le plus sanglant de l'histoire du nettoyage ethnique et du génocide perpétrés par les Arméniens contre l'Azerbaïdjan" , ajoutant que "notre tâche aujourd'hui est d'informer les États, les parlements et l'opinion publique de la réalité de ce génocide de Khodjalou et d'obtenir sa reconnaissance comme un véritable acte de génocide".

Les Arméniens contestent bien sûr la présentation des faits de Bakou et n'ont cessé de le faire depuis que les forces arméniennes ont pris le contrôle de Khodjalou, cette localité où se trouve l'aéroport de Stépanakert. Selon la version arménienne des faits, qui a d'ailleurs été accréditée par l'ancien président azéri Moutalibov, les forces arméniennes avaient dégagé un corridor humanitaire permettant aux civils azéris de fuir la localité et les combats. Mais les civils azéris en auraient été empêchés par certaines forces politico-militaires azéries à des fins purement tactiques et aussi politiques, de telle sorte que de nombreux civils azéris seront pris entre deux feux. Encore aujourd'hui, cette bavure tragique et peut-être délibérée des militaires azéris est mise en avant par les milieux politiques azéris pour accuser les Arméniens de génocide, en exonérant ainsi l'Azerbaïdjan de son statut d'agresseur. Ainsi, il n'est pas indifférent de rappeler que cet anniversaire du prétendu génocide de Khodjalou est commémoré par Bakou quelques jours avant celui des pogromes et massacres anti-arméniens de Soumgaït, fin février-début mars 1988, qui allaient donner le coup d'envoi d'une vaste campagne de nettoyage ethnique à Bakou et dans les villes et villages azéris d'où seront chassés avec une rare violence tous les habitants arméniens, autant d'épisodes sanglants que la conscience collective azérie cherche à occulter, comme la Turquie le génocide arménien.

http://cdca.asso.fr/...9vrier_2002.htm

COMMISSION DES DROITS DE L'HOMME
Cinquante-cinquième session
Point 9 de l'ordre du jour

QUESTION DE LA VIOLATION DES DROITS DE L'HOMME
ET DES LIBERTÉS FONDAMENTALES, OÙ QU'ELLE SE PRODUISE DANS LE MONDE

Lettre datée du 1er avril 1999, adressée au Président de la Commission des droits de l'homme par le Représentant permanent de la République d'Arménie auprès de l'Office des Nations Unies à Genève

Au cours de l'examen du point 9 de l'ordre du jour de la présente session de la Commission, la Représentante permanente de l'Azerbaïdjan a fait distribuer un nouveau document (E/CN.4/1999/121) intitulé "Appel adressé aux peuples du monde, aux États, aux parlements et aux organisations internationales par les habitants du district de Khojaly", où sont travestis d'une manière atterrante les événements qui se sont déroulés à Khojaly en 1992.

Une fois encore, le Gouvernement azerbaïdjanais cherche par ce type d'écrits à effacer la mémoire des atrocités et des massacres commis par son propre peuple au cours de la période du conflit armé entre l'Azerbaïdjan et le Haut-Karabakh.

En guise de commentaire sur la teneur de ce document, ma délégation rappellera les mots mêmes qu'a prononcés Aiaz Mutalibov, Président de la République azerbaïdjanaise à l'époque, dans une interview avec la journaliste tchèque Dana Mazalova : "... la milice du Front national azerbaïdjanais a entravé activement et, de fait, empêché l'évacuation de la population civile locale de la zone d'opérations militaires par les cols qui avaient été délibérément laissés ouverts par les Arméniens du Karabakh". Le grand espoir de l'opposition azerbaïdjanaise et son intention étaient d'exploiter les pertes civiles de cette ampleur pour susciter un soulèvement populaire contre le régime de Bakou et saisir les rênes du pouvoir. Cette interview a été publiée dans le numéro du 2 avril 1992 du journal russe Nezavisimaya Gazeta.

Qu'il me soit permis de citer ce qu'a écrit une organisation non gouvernementale, Helsinki Watch, dans son rapport de septembre 1992 : "Une Azerbaïdjanaise confirme que les Arméniens avaient fait savoir à la population civile azerbaïdjanaise de Khojaly qu'elle devait quitter la ville en arborant des drapeaux blancs. En fait, la milice azerbaïdjanaise a abattu ceux qui tentaient de s'enfuir".

Ma délégation est convaincue que les informations susmentionnées expliquent comme il convient la situation réelle au moment des faits. Elle estime qu'au lieu de diffuser des mensonges flagrants au sein de la Commission, l'Azerbaïdjan devrait s'efforcer de rétablir la vérité par égard pour les habitants de Khojaly et, dans le même temps, de traduire en justice les bandes organisées et les criminels azerbaïdjanais responsables des massacres de victimes innocentes.

Ma délégation regrette d'avoir à mettre en lumière des faits aussi pénibles et de devoir vous demander, Madame la Présidente, de bien vouloir faire distribuer le texte de la présente lettre comme document officiel de la Commission des droits de l'homme à sa cinquante-cinquième session, au titre du point 9 de l'ordre du jour, en réponse aux informations figurant dans le document susvisé.

L'Ambassadeur,
Représentant permanent
(Signé) Karen NAZARIAN

http://www.unhchr.ch...10?Opendocument

On February 24, the NKR Supreme Soviet Presidium took a decision concerning the law status of the republic armed formations, which were subordinated to the united command. Serge Sargssian was appointed the chairman of the Self-Defense Committee. One of the primary tasks of the Artsakh self-defense forces was the removal and destruction of the enemy’s bridgehead at Khodjaly. Here there was a considerable contingent of manpower, a great quantity of military equipment. It was essential to reopen the corridor that linked the settlement of Askeran with the capital Stepanakert and also to regain control of the republic’s airport, which was in Azeri hands.

On February 25, the Artsakh self-defense detachments, taking up a position in the west of Khodjaly, demanded that the enemies leave the military base and allow the civilians through the established humanitarian corridor.

The then president of Azerbaijan A. Mutalibov confessed, that "the corridor was established by the Armenians to let the civilian inhabitants through" (the Nezavisimaya Gazette, April 2, 1992). Meanwhile the Azeri servicemen acted in another way, using the inhabitants in the village as a shield, they resumed a bombardment of the NKR populated points, and when they were compelled to leave the village, they themselves shot the civilian inhabitants columns on the approaches to the Agdam district borders. The same A. Mutalibov connected this unprecedented criminal action with the Azerbaijani Opposition Popular Front efforts to remove him from office, putting the whole responsibility for what had happened on him.

http://nkr.am/eng/history/voina.htm

Khodjaly: Many Azeri-Turk civilians died a tragic death during an Armenian assault on Khodjaly - 10 miles north of Stepanakert - on the night of February 25-26, 1992. Khodjaly is the site of Nagorno Karabakh's only airport. It was also, together with Shusha, the main base for Azeri-Turk military operations inside Nagorno Karabakh. It was from Khodjaly and Shusha that most of the GRAD rocket attacks on Stepanakert came. The civilian population of about 6,000 was made up of Azeri- and Mesketian-Turks, the latter having been resettled in Khodjaly after having been deported to Central Asia from northern Transcaucasia by Stalin.

On February 26, the Azerbaijani Interior Ministry released their casualty figures: 100 dead and 250 wounded (COVCAS Bulletin, March 5, 1992). But by the first week of March the sensation-seeking western press elevated into headline news fresh Azerbaijani government claims that over 1,000 Azeri-Turk civilians had been massacred by the Armenians at Khodjaly (see the The Times of March 2, 1993, the New York Times, March 3, 1992, Boston Globe of March 3 & 5, 1992), There was apparently little effort by western journalists covering the aftermath of the battle to investigate the claims made by Azerbaijani officials or to give equal weight to the account issued by the Armenian authorities in Nagorno Karabakh.

As a result of this partial reporting, the Azeri-Turks and their allies in Turkey have repeatedly used the Khodjaly bloodshed as an excuse for barbarities committed by Azeri-Turks, with the justification that their behaviour is an understandable form of retaliation, given the Armenians' brutality at Khodjaly. When those events are themselves questioned, the reply given by the Azeri-Turk and Turkish officials is that they are only quoting information given in the western press.

Given these circumstances, delegates on a subsequent CSI mission tried to ascertain the Armenian version of events. Some aspects can be independently corroborated; others must always remain a question of the Armenians' word versus that of the Azeri-Turks, and whichever version is more consistent with facts which can be established.

According to the Armenians of Nagorno Karabakh to whom we spoke, it is acknowledged that they had decided to attack the Azeri-Turk town of Khodjaly, although they knew there were still some civilians there. They claim this attack was necessary to protect the civilians of Stepanakert, as Khodjaly was being used as a base for GRAD rocket launchers firing onto the city (this is true). They also claim that they did not want to harm civilians and so they issued advance warning of the attack, requesting the Azeri-Turks to allow any civilians to evacuate. This has been independently corroborated by Russians and by the testimony of Azeri-Turk survivors of the attack. Giving testimony to Helsinki Watch in Baku on April 28, 1992, A.H., an Azeri-Turk woman from Khodjaly stated:

"They (the Armenians - ed.) made an ultimatum.. . that the Khodjaly people had better leave with a white flag. Alif Gajiev (the head of the Azeri-Turk OMON in Khodjaly - ed.) told us this on February 15. but this didn't frighten me or other people. We never believed they could occupy Khodjaly." (Helsinki Watch, p. 20)

The Armenians claim that when they began to attack, they were concerned about civilians still in the town and tried to negotiate safe passage for them with the Azeri-Turk soldiers. They claim that the Azeri-Turk officers refused this. Moreover, they allege that, as the Azeri-Turk soldiers themselves evacuated, they intermingled with the civilians, firing at such close range that the women and children were caught in the cross-fire, receiving horrible injuries. The testimony of Azeri-Turk survivors corroborates the Armenian account. Twenty-three-year old Hijran Alekpera stated that the mass of civilians fleeing Khodjaly were "surrounded by a ring of defenders. They tried to defend us. They had guns and they would try to shoot back." S.A., a member of the Azeri-Turk OMON testified: "We (the OMON and civilian evacuees - ed.) were shooting and running in the pack, but it was not an organized retreat. We were all mixed together." Another young Azeri-Turk evacuee declared:

"When Armenians saw us they began to shoot. We hid. At the same time Azerbaijanis shot back. They were Azerbaijani OMON. Some of them were with us when we fled."

Helsinki Watch concluded:

"All Azerbaijanis interviewed who were in this group reported that the militia, still in uniform, and some still carrying their guns, were interspersed with the masses of civilians." (Helsinki Watch, p. 21)

Subsequently, the Armenians allowed the Azeri-Turk military to return to the area to collect their dead. This gave the Azeri-Turks the evidence of the civilian casualties which provided the basis for the allegations of cold-blooded, calculated Armenian 'atrocities'. One of the few journalists to probe beneath the surface of what the Azerbaijani authorities presented to the media was T. Mazalova from Czechoslovakia. She had seen two videos of the same collection of Azeri-Turk bodies, one filmed on February 29 and the other on March 2. She observed that the heads had been scalped in the meantime. When she raised the question of this discrepancy with the ex-President of Azerbaijan, Ayaz Mutalibov in April 1992, he declared that the massacre at Khodjaly was "organized" by his political opponents to force his resignation. He found it doubtful that the Armenians would have allowed the Azeri-Turks to collect the bodies had the allegations of a massacre been true (COVCAS Bulletin, April 9, 1992, p. 4). Helsinki Watch published a list of 181 Azeri-Turks, 130 males and 51 females, including 13 children, who were reported by the Azerbaijani parliament to have died during the battle of Khodjaly. (Helsinki Watch, p.23).

http://www.geocities...o-Karabagh.html

------------------------------------------------------------

I was in charge of the Askeran direction of the front line and I state that a corridor was provided for the peaceful population of Khodjalu which was guarded by both the Armenian force and armed Azerbaijanis. It was a railroad, the shortest and safest way to Agdam. We had announced beforehand for a several times that the way would be open, said Lieutenant-General Vitaly Balasanyan, former deputy minister of defense of NKR, in an interview with the KarabakhOpen.com.
“The Khodjalu authorities were to take people through the corridor. However, the people were left to choose their way themselves. Some of them died of cold, but most of them were shot by the Azerbaijanis waiting for them near Agdam. Now photos of people who died at that time are exposed who are reported to have been killed by Armenians. I personally guarded the corridor and I can state that these people were killed by Azerbaijanis. At that time, it was favorable for certain people who were trying to come to power in Baku.
Immediately after Khodjalu they accused the Popular Front, now they are accusing the Armenians. At that time the Azerbaijani soldiers and we gathered the bodies and returned to the Azerbaijanis. Those who were there at that time should display courage and tell the truth to stop poisoning the generation with hatred,” Vitaly Balasanyan said.
“I personally returned about 100 people to the commander of the Agdam brigade Allaverdi Mashirov, referred to as “Godja Gartal”. Allaverdi is not alive but his soldiers are alive who witnessed all. Let the people of Khadjalu remember how we took them to the border. I also want to remind how the mayor of Khodjalu Elman Mamedov got to Agdam. His family was in Agdam, he got there through the same railroad. Why is he lying to his own people ? At that time there were 735 guns in Khodjalu, and Mamedov had to organize the defense of his people. However, the person who held people in the captured village till the last minute but ran away the first, whereas the Azerbaijanis accuse Armenians of everything. I am ready to meet with E. Mamedov and discuss all these questions,” Valery Balasanyan said.
Recalling those hard times, the general told that during the movement of Artsakh Khodjalu was turned into a den of bandits by the Azerbaijanis. In a few years the village was built up and Turk-Meskhetis settled here. The men were armed. “Day by day the threat from Khodjalu grew. Soon attacks on the road began - they threw stones at the cars, stopped the cars and beat people. The events in Khodjalu, Lesno, Karagava, Khodjavend and other Azerbaijani areas in 1988-1990 were directed by Baku.
The Armenian authorities organized a number of meetings with the Azerbaijani authorities, agreement was reached to stop attacks on civilians. However, the Azerbaijanis did not stop. On February 22, 1988 the Azerbaijani insurgents moved from Agdam towards Armenian Askeran, armed with anything they had. The roads connecting Stepanakert with some villages were blocked. It was already necessary to neutralize Khodjalu,” says the general.
Khodjalu, as well as many other villages in Karabakh, had originally been settled by Armenians. The Armenian population left these villages as a result of the Azerbaijani policy. The Armenian fortress or Askeran and the small village of Khodjalu did not let the Azerbaijanis capture Shushi early in the past century. This made the Baku authorities to settle the areas around Shushi with Azerbaijanis and create a chain of Azerbaijani villages around the capital of Karabakh - Khodjalu, Malibeklu, Djanhasan, Kiosalar, Molanlar, Alimadatli, Aliagha in the right, Avdal and Gyulaplu in the south. Those were far-reaching plans to capture Karabakh in a peaceful demographic way, because all the violent attempts to get hold of the country had failed.
27-02-2007 13:20:48 - Karabakh http://www.karabakho...m/src/index.php ?lang=en&id=3&nid=2409

http://www.armenews....d_article=30087

---------------------------------------------------

THE KHOJALU CASE: A SPECIAL DOSSIER

http://budapest.sumg...hojaly/main.htm

---------------------------------------------

De 1988 à 1992, alors que nos populations civiles étaient soumises aux pires atrocités en Azerbaidjan et en Artsakh, nous devions faire des efforts extraordinaires pour que les médias occidentaux en parlent moindrement, en disent un mot, dans les journaux, à la radio et à la télé. Souvent, c'était peine perdue. Mutisme. À peine un entrefilet occasionnel, un flash furtif... Je parle surtout pour l'Amérique du Nord.

Dès l'instant où nous avons commencé à gagner, tout à coup, la guerre d'Artsakh est devenue de l'actualité brûlante, pour ces mêmes médias. Et des reporters ont été dépêchés, pour aller chercher ces images amplifiées et grossies, avec moult gros plans et commentaires émus, des effets de notre avancée militaire.

Haytoug Chamlian

-------------------------------------------------
Sommairement:

1988: Massacres d'Arméniens à Soumgaït et Bakou. Massacres d'Arméniens à Kirovabad.

Janvier 1990: Massacres d'Arméniens à Bakou.

1991: Massacres d'Arméniens à Kédachén, et dans de multiples villages et localités à Chahoumian.

1992: Massacres d'Arméniens à Léninavan; Pilonnage massif des populations civiles dans plusieurs villages et localités, dont Stépanaguérd; Massacre des Arméniens de Mardaguérd;

-------------------------------------------------

Hommage à nos soldats et combattants qui se sont sacrifiés à Khodjalou.

#18 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:59 AM

This is a debate between Armen Ayvazyan, Bleyan, and Sahakyantz....
I'm amazed after seeing all of the 9 parts...I advise you guy to watch it too.

Now I understand why Bleyan is hated so much in Armenia! I'm so disgusted by this a$$hole. I can't believe the way he was speaking to Armen Ayvazyan, who had very interesting and right ideas about Armenia, Karabakh and the Armenians.
Didn't expect much from the second traitor Sahakyantz...who's born in Baku.

The only normal and logical person at the debate is Armen Ayvazyan...but look at the remarks of that scum named Bleyan on Armen's speech as you watch the clips. The way Bleyan keeps mocking Ayvazyan's "Doctorate" status. Jealouse scum! I would have slapped him in front of the camera!

I only included the 1st part, but you can select the rest on youtube.

#19 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hello
the topic has been posted once before - i will Marga it w/ What Really Happened under Artsax Forum

#20 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Armenian history, music, sports, politics...the usual stuff.

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

http://www.hetq.am/eng/politics/7783/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users