#1 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:09 PM

Have you guys heard of this site? If so, do you think it's a good idea?

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

Yes it is smile.gif Extra jan smile.gif
his duing a good work

but way to much for me smile.gif 75k and up for a house wink.gif

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:19 PM

ups i guess i'm wrong - it was in 2001 $75k now it's

VAHAKNI HOMES PRICE LIST
(as of July 2004)

Model Name
Living Space
Sq. m. /sq. ft. Basement Sq. m. /sq. ft.
Garage
Sq. m. /sq. ft. Total price

VAN $ 160,000
TALEEN $ 175,000
ANI $ 195,000
ARTSAKH $ 210,000
DILIJAN $ 229,000
ARARAT $ 245,000

#4 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:53 PM

It looks like Hovnanians are expending their development projects in Armenia. smile.gif

http://www.vahakni.com/index.html

#5 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:59 PM

The first photo reminds me of Mexico for some reason biggrin.gif I feal like they're going to sing "A cucaracha" the next moment. What's that outfit?

#6 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:09 PM

Armen jan du el ho chasetsir
Mexiko smile.gif

#7 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:15 PM

Movses jan, hla arajin nkari kanants nayi... smile.gif

Et "Vahagni" taghamase lavn a bayc Ashtaraki mayrughu vraya gntvum, pashtpanutyun nakhararurutyunic mi qich depi qaghaq. Inqe taghamase lavn e, bayc shrjapate bavakanin tgegh e. 16 taghamasi en tgegh shenqeri zangvatsn e koghqe, isk myus koghmeric amayi taratsutyunner. Ayspes asats chol srjapat e. Erevi petq ekoghqe mi tetev kargavoren...

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Sep 16 2004, 09:19 PM)
ups  i guess i'm  wrong -  it  was in 2001  $75k  now  it's

VAHAKNI HOMES PRICE LIST
(as of July 2004)

Model Name
Living Space
Sq. m. /sq. ft.  Basement         Sq. m. /sq. ft.
Garage
Sq. m. /sq. ft. Total price

VAN $ 160,000
TALEEN $ 175,000
ANI  $ 195,000
ARTSAKH  $ 210,000
DILIJAN  $ 229,000
ARARAT  $ 245,000

Thia is not only obscene it is also dangerously criminal.
Remember the days when one could buy the best apsrtment in Yerevan for few thousand dollars?

Who is buying these buildings?
The average yervanite whose monthly income is USD 20?
ASRARAT @ $245,000? How much is that in AM Drams? That would be overpriced even in the suburbs of LA. What is the mark-up? Considering the cheaper labor and material costs?

1,125,000?

That is one million one hundred twenty five thousand AMD.
Who has that kind of money?
What is the plot sizes?
In America we measure them by acres. The smallest suburban land plot is 1/4 acre.
The Hovnanians, the neo-nakharars or the better placed clergy?

As if the natives needed more reason for frustration and a another desire to emigrate!!!

Edit:
No,no. My bad.
Add two more zeroes to the fugure above... $125,500,000 One hundred twenty five million five hundred thousand AMD!! Unbelievble! Can't even count that high.

Edited by Arpa, 23 September 2004 - 04:50 AM.

#9 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:57 PM

Obviously they are targeting elderly ex-pats, mostly American-Armenians. Hardly any of the locals can afford buying such house. I think Hovnananian will do better if they develop modern apartment complexes. They would be much more affordable and combined with appropriate infrastructure might really get some young people interested. Plus, such complexes would be a good investment since young people from East and West can meet there! smile.gif
I'm only concerned that climatic conditions in Armenia are not very suitable for American style residential areas. American construction is cheap and whit high rate of depreciation.

Anyway, just don't put any carpets inside! Only parquet and tiles! smile.gif

#10 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:07 PM

Arpa jan its lot more then that

245.000 USD = 126,552.67 AMD

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (gamavor @ Sep 22 2004, 07:57 PM)
Obviously they are targeting elderly ex-pats, mostly American-Armenians. Hardly any of the locals can afford buying such house. I think Hovnananian will do better if they deve

Anyway, just don't put any carpets inside! Only parquet and tiles! smile.gif

Obviously!
But can't you see the contradiction?
The average "elderly expat" could probably just about afford to buy one of those. Considering the age, they will not be eligible for a long term mortgage. It will have to be cash in full. Then, what does one do for maintenance and incidental expenses, tax etc.?
How does an "elderly ex-pat" maintain the upkeep, both indoors and outrdoors? Hire grounds keepers and house keepers, not to forget the armed body guards to protect them and their property from the frustrated natives?
Considering that these are suburban, how does an "elderly ex-pat" commute to the grocery store and other places?

Gams, you hit it! Condos and apartment complexes with more modern amenities would be more like it. Besides it may be a community of people of similar culture with nardi contests and what not. How many "elderly ex-pat" would have poolside cocktail parties?

In conclusion, I think the project will flop. Hopefully peacefully before it creates a rebellion. Just imagine the poor Yerevanite or a Aparantsi whose main worry is where the next loaf of bread is coming from riding the bus passing those "aparanqs/palaces"!!!

How many Mercedes's and BMWs must one have in their garage?

How insensitive can we be!!

How can a native afford these? By selling two more paper cones of sunflower seeds?

C'mon Kids! Let us first lift ourselves by the bootsraps! That is, those who have boots/koshik in the first place!

I cannot still forget my heart sinking when I surveyed the crumbling tin roofed living quarters of the natives as viewed past the official government buildings at the Hanrapetutyun Hraparak and the view from Hotel Armenia/Mariott. You think fixing those would be a priority?
Did you know that the natives are not allwed inside Hotel Armenia unless they have an official business or are the guests of an hotel guest/diasporan with dollars?

Do we want a class war?
Why not?
Our histoey is rift with class wars, be it between the nakharars and the people and between the clergy and the people. Read Armenian history again.

Edited by Arpa, 22 September 2004 - 03:08 PM.

#12 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

What struck me was how ugly all the houses were. There is not a single redeeming (or even Armenian) feature in any them. Which might be appropriate because probably you could say the same about their eventual owners.
Once again, proof that wealth does not buy taste and sometimes even excludes it.

#13 -=VAHE=-

-=VAHE=-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:59 PM

What are you talking about, they are obviously putting a investment into Armenia. What rebellion will happen from frustrated Natives? Have you been to Armenia?

#14 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:04 PM

Basically those are (low and middle) middle class houses anywhere in US. And I agree they are not pretty, but that's what people buy in US. They simply have no choice except the ultra rich who really can afford something decent. But that is not the point. The point is to develop something that will have positive social and communial impact along with turning it into profitable business. Such mentality is simply absent.

#15 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:06 PM

I think they are constructing them for the personnel of future US base biggrin.gif

#16 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (bellthecat @ Sep 22 2004, 08:52 PM)
What struck me was how ugly all the houses were. There is not a single redeeming (or even Armenian) feature in any them. Which might be appropriate because probably you could say the same about their eventual owners.
Once again, proof that wealth does not buy taste and sometimes even excludes it.

In case you missed it.
That is a suburb of our latest Mayraqaghaq Glendale.

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (-=VAHE=- @ Sep 22 2004, 08:59 PM)
What are you talking about, they are obviously putting a investment into Armenia. What rebellion will happen from frustrated Natives? Have you been to Armenia?

Yes I have been to Armenia several times and I am speaking of an eyewitness experience. And as a grown man I have never cried so much as I have there.

Edited by Arpa, 22 September 2004 - 03:16 PM.

#18 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Sep 22 2004, 03:11 PM)
latest Mayraqaghaq Glendale.

lol.gif

#19 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (bellthecat @ Sep 22 2004, 08:52 PM)
What struck me was how ugly all the houses were.

On the positive side..
Perhaps now they will learn to use more eathquake resistent lumber and other framing components rather than ten ton concrete(?) slabs snd the fabled tufa that was the major cause of the disproportionate casualties during the Earthquake of 1988.

Lumber??

This may be another incentive to cultivate and preserve the disappearing forests as well. Armenia proper is a virtual desert, and is more desertified by the day. Artsakh is still lush and green with more potential lumber enough not only for herself, Armenia and even for export. That is, if properly managed.

Do you know that Artsakh proper is twice the size of Rhode Island?

Edited by Arpa, 22 September 2004 - 03:40 PM.

#20 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:41 PM

Arpa, the number of the casualties was not due to construction material, but sheer neglect and disregart of construction codes and rules, plus some "traditional" savings. The buildings build during Hruschov and Czarist era were almost intact, while those built during Brejnev and Andropov collapsed.

Lumber is good for Americans and Canadians. For Armenians the best would be bricks and stone. Just like in Greece and almost everywhere in Europe.

One thing that also annyoed me was the American style windows of those new houses. As if you are in a cage. If not anything else the old Soviet style buildings have large almost French style windows.

Edited by gamavor, 22 September 2004 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users