Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(ExtraHye @ Mar 8 2006, 02:13 PM) View Post
What does Horse De Ovaries mean? huh.gif

Amy jan; it is Hors d'oeuvres. It's in the French language and it means appetizers.

#23 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(Anahid Takouhi @ Mar 8 2006, 01:12 PM) View Post
Anyhow, a long time ago when I found out that you live in New York City and that I'm living in New Jersey, which is very close to you, I have extended my friendship to you and wanted to meet you sometimes and you never answered me. But that's passed now.

This is really none of my business but since you did post it in public, I really don't think the two of you would get along at all biggrin.gif Just very different personalities with very different outlooks and philosophies ...

#24 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

Sip; I don't necessarily mean in this case; but do friends have to have very similar thoughts and personalities at all times to be friends?

I don't know, but perphas you could put your two cents into it since you did it anyway. biggrin.gif

#25 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:12 PM

And Sip; I suppose I should thank you for making that observation, for being nice and for budding in. Yet I have known many friends to have different outlook on life, to have different personalities, yet they have kept their loving friendship and savored it too.

Edited by Anahid Takouhi, 08 March 2006 - 03:13 PM.

#26 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I think I missed something..Who is getting married??? smile.gif

#27 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(gamavor @ Mar 8 2006, 05:38 PM) View Post
I think I missed something..Who is getting married??? smile.gif

I think Eve is, but I find it hard to believe.

#28 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:43 PM

Evelina - I probably have more advice to give, unfortunately time is quite short this week. Also DW'S childhood friend is over at our place right now planning her wedding - DW is one of the bridesmaids. So I'm naturally all they're speaking of is weddings - and as a result I'm in wedding mode. More to come.... smile.gif

#29 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:43 PM

BTW -judging from the quality of his advice, Sip is ready for marriage. Any takers? ohmy.gif

#30 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:56 AM

Who is DW?

Eve, congrats and my best wishes. I, too, am having a hard time believing it - can't say I'm certain why.

#31 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(Stormig @ Mar 9 2006, 05:56 AM) View Post
Who is DW?

DW? You mean you don't know?? I though we covered this tongue.gif Kidding.
DW = the Dear Wife - although I hate using that term: 'wife' it sounds awful. But if I referred to her as my girlfriend, folks around here would get certain impressions of me ohmy.gif

Nice to see you around again Stormig jan smile.gif

#32 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

So far I have been invited to few non-Armenian weddings and all of them were excellent in terms of organization and order. However the main ingredient for party was missing.

Armenian weddings are the exact opposite - everything is carefully planed and arranged and suddenly something happens and the organization is **** up. Nevertheless the Armenian weddings are unforgettable (or rather unmemorable) parties.

As to the ceremony the Protestant (Baptist) couple whose marriage ceremony I attended broke all the records for short and concise ceremony. The poor guy went "down the drain" in 20 minutes. As smart as Baptists are, I started thinking...OK, nothing is happening by accident in this world. The ceremony was short not to give him enough time to re-think his decision I guess.

The Catholic wedding was closer to ours in any respect, except that they were not as loud as we are.

The Armenian Apostolic Church wedding ceremony is living hell (especially for the bride on high hills)! I don't know why but our holly fathers decided to include in the marriage ceremony every single thing from the Bible that pertains to matrimony. Usually the priests are very strict and don't make compromise with shortening the stuff. It takes at least good two and a half hours, sometimes more.

Now here is the positive aspect of it. The groom and the bride have all the time in the world to say "yes" or "no" or "whatever".

In the mean time, the guests are so tired (hungry and thirsty that) that adds up to the joyous mood.
wink.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

God forbid if I have to make plans for wedding I would limit it to the closest relatives and friends on both sides and that’s it.

#33 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Anileve @ Mar 8 2006, 11:03 AM) View Post
Vavachka, you and Azat are just an embodiment of sweetness. I so hope to meet both of you one day! It's me who is the lucky one. smile.gif

ehhmmm... ehhmmm...

#34 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Azat @ Mar 8 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post
This is a sad day. This mean I have no chance with Eve. sad.gif sad.gif
hehehe

Evul jan. I wish you all the best in the world.

I have been to 2 weddings on the beach. One on the low end and one on the very high end and they were both the best weddings I have ever been too. By FAR.

First of all, I am sorry I take so long to get back to the threads I start. It's a bad habit.

Second of all Azatyush, you took too long. wink.gif And thank you ponchikes, thank you for wonderful wishes, always with elegance.

Oh man, the beach was my first idea. I wanted the beach, clams, bonfires, beers and guitars. Most people laughed at me. sad.gif

But seriously, considering everything it really wouldn't be good for others, for us anything is perfect. In other words our families are wonderfully supportive and loving. His family is religious but they were happy with whatever we chose. My family is not and both said that it's our wedding, that means anything we want goes.

So being that I am not a fan of fancy-schmancy stuff, I want no church, I want no big wedding cake gown. I don't want a wedding registry. I want a civil ceremony, a simple dress and lots of food, and dancing. And I am lucky to have an amazing fiance who has similar views and values and the biggest heart! Everyone should enjoy the day, and no, I hardly think of impressing anyone, I just want everyone to have a good time.

#35 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Mar 8 2006, 02:30 PM) View Post
This is really none of my business but since you did post it in public, I really don't think the two of you would get along at all biggrin.gif Just very different personalities with very different outlooks and philosophies ...

Wow...Well Sip, thanks for being my friend manager...apparently free of charge. Although I may end up alone on the planet but at least I will have a friend manager. tongue.gif

QUOTE(Anahid Takouhi @ Mar 8 2006, 02:12 PM) View Post
Eveylin:

I hope you didn't misunderstand me on my above post as I didn't mean anything but that matter of fact. Didn't mean anything negative.

Anyhow, a long time ago when I found out that you live in New York City and that I'm living in New Jersey, which is very close to you, I have extended my friendship to you and wanted to meet you sometimes and you never answered me. But that's passed now.

I sincerely wish you all the best of luck in your upcoming marriage and I wish that it'll be a very successful and a loving union between you and your husband to be.

Anahid,

First of all pay no attention to Sip, he likes to be provocative at times. Secondly I honestly don't remember recieving any invitations or offers, would I have gotten the message I would have certainly responded. I don't see why we cannot meet one day. And thank you for your warm wishes.

#36 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE(Emil @ Mar 9 2006, 12:18 AM) View Post
I think Eve is, but I find it hard to believe.

QUOTE(Stormig @ Mar 9 2006, 05:56 AM) View Post
Who is DW?

Eve, congrats and my best wishes. I, too, am having a hard time believing it - can't say I'm certain why.

You know, as I've mentioned before, I have never really been interested in marriage. It's a scary, scary zone for me. My friends never really pictured me getting married any time soon, and honestly neither did I. But when you meet someone so amazing, your outlook changes completely. Sure I am still nervous and scared, but I am very certain. I realized that there are no guarantees and no calculations, there is no right or wrong time. It's however you feel, and you have to go into it and give it your all, work on it and be optimistic. Everything else is fate.

As for reactions I never thought that I would receive the reactions that I did. My guy friend was shocked, he stuttered a little bit as he congratulated and walked out and never called me (he lives with his gf). My coworker grabbed her face and started repeating "NO, no, no" it took her sometime before she unexcitedly wished me congratulations. Her words were "I never thought you would ever get married." She is also going through a divorce. My childhood friend cried for about 20 minutes. And so on. Actually besides the whole wedding thing, it's very interesting to see the reactions from people, you find out strange things. And I can't believe that marriage has such an effect on people. Nothing really changed, I am still with the person and I am still me. The only thing that changed is my status. Why is that such a big deal?

What saddens me is that people still find marriage as a symbol of status. Basically you are never really complete until you are married. I personally think it's BS. I realized that marriage is a beautiful thing, finding the right person can change your life completely, and bring so much happiness. But I still think that people should consider marriage only because they have found the right person, and not because it's time. I never thought of marriage until I met my dude. Anywhoo people are strange...

#37 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

Eve, all I can say is this all seems to me like of some sort of M. Night Shyamalan creation ... I would have never guessed for you to make such a thread (and the post above), yet now that I read it, I realize all the clues were there all along!!!

Congrats and wish you aaaaaaaaaall the best thumbup.gif

#38 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

Congratulations Eve, mi bartsi tseranaq smile.gif

#39 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

7 erexov seghan nsteq... unsure.gif

#40 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Anileve @ Mar 13 2006, 11:17 AM) View Post
You know, as I've mentioned before, I have never really been interested in marriage. It's a scary, scary zone for me. My friends never really pictured me getting married any time soon, and honestly neither did I. But when you meet someone so amazing, your outlook changes completely. Sure I am still nervous and scared, but I am very certain. I realized that there are no guarantees and no calculations, there is no right or wrong time. It's however you feel, and you have to go into it and give it your all, work on it and be optimistic. Everything else is fate.

Congratulations Evelina! That's awesome! I wish you all the best and happiness in life. cheers.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users