27 replies to this topic

#1 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

New York, October 12, 2005—The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns the conviction of a Turkish-Armenian journalist on a charge of "insulting and weakening Turkish identity through the media" An Istanbul court on Friday sentenced Hrant Dink, 52, editor-in-chief of the bilingual Turkish-Armenian weekly Agos, to a six-month suspended term. Dink and his lawyer, Fethiye Cetin, plan to appeal.

The charges stemmed from a series of articles Dink wrote in early 2004 dealing with the collective memory of the Armenian massacres of 1915-1917 under the Ottoman Empire. He called on Armenians to move beyond historical anger toward Turks and "turn to the new blood of independent Armenia."

Turkish law, even under recent legal reforms, allows for journalists to be criminally prosecuted and imprisoned for their work. Dink was prosecuted under a provision of the new penal code that states: "A person who insults Turkishness, the Republic, or the Turkish Parliament will be punished with imprisonment ranging from six months to three years." Turkish authorities did not elaborate on what they considered insulting in Dink's work.

Dink, who founded Agos in 1996, was sentenced the same week talks began on Turkey's application to join the European Union.

"This is a political decision because I wrote about the Armenian genocide and they detest that, so they found a way to accuse me of insulting Turks," Dink told CPJ. He said he is prepared to take the case to the European Court of Human Rights to clear his name.

Turkey does not acknowledge as genocide the killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks at the beginning of the 20th century. The European Parliament has conditioned Turkey's entry to the EU on its formal recognition of the killings as genocide.

"Despite official promises, Turkish journalists continue to be criminally prosecuted for their work," CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper said. "At the heart of this case are the dozens of laws in Turkey that can make free expression a crime. Free expression will remain limited in Turkey as long as these laws are on the books."

Award-winning Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk was indicted in September under the same penal code provision after an interview he gave to a Swiss magazine earlier this year in which he said, "one million Armenians were killed in Turkey." His trial is set for December 17.

Dink faces additional charges for making critical comments at a 2002 human rights conference about Turkey's national anthem and a daily oath taken by Turkish schoolchildren in which they say, "Happy is the one who says, 'I am a Turk.' " Dink said then that he did not feel like a Turk, but like an Armenian who is a citizen of Turkey. He will appear in court in February for those remarks.

#2 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (ArmoArmeN @ Oct 12 2005, 10:04 PM)
or the Turkish Parliament will be punished with imprisonment ranging from six months to three years." Turkish authorities did not elaborate on what they considered insulting in Dink's work.

Need I, to clarify why I hate so much Ataturk? I hate him even more, because I feal something for him(hate). Does someone wonder why the Turkish parlement? I boil when I think that an idiotic moronic Armenian pieces of st. saved his life.

If someone wonder still, why the Parlement..., think about why you can be condemned by the Islamic law, when you insult a Mosque, or a better analogy here, the Mecca.

#3 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:31 PM

Domino,

Can we be sure that had Ataturk's life not been saved by this Armenian, that another Turk would not have arisen who would have followed Ataturk's footsteps?

#4 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:58 PM

It is inconceivable that a country that would prosecute a journalist for such statements could EVER be admitted into the EU. When are they going to show that their purported reforms are more than just for show?
They are showing their Achilles heel, that they are not real Turks at all but predominantly a melange of former Christians, forcefully converted and assimilated. The real Turks of Central Asia do not have an identity problem for which they have to maintain absurd laws such as these.

#5 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

Hagarag, the EU will use the Genocide issue as a pawn in their negotiations. In the end Turkey will become part of the EU and Armenians around the world will still have no recognition.

#6 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (phantom22 @ Oct 13 2005, 03:31 PM)
Domino,

Can we be sure that had Ataturk's life not been saved by this Armenian, that another Turk would not have arisen who would have followed Ataturk's footsteps?

Yes, we can.

#7 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (vava @ Oct 13 2005, 08:45 PM)
Hagarag, the EU will use the Genocide issue as a pawn in their negotiations. In the end Turkey will become part of the EU and Armenians around the world will still have no recognition.

I don't think the recognition should be a condition for the accession. I think the death of the Kemalistic mentality should be the first condition. I really have enough of this idiotic and retarted national "proudness" and the sick fixation over a man.

#8 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (QueBeceR @ Oct 13 2005, 09:18 PM)
Yes, we can.

...and this is how these bastards pay us back for the actions of one of ours? Reminds me of how Krikor Zohrab saved Talaat's life only to have Talaat order his execution.

#9 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hrant Dink: I Will Alarm the Whole World

14.10.2005 22:54 GMT+04:00

PanARMENIAN.Net/ Editor-in-Chief of Akos newspaper Hrant Dinksentenced to 6 months of conditional imprisonment appealed to the Turkish Supreme Court. Last week Hrant Dink stated, “If the stigma attached to me is not removed I will be forced to abandon this country like my ancestors did. But I will not leave silently like them. I will alarm the whole world.” Hrant Dink informed that he received a great number of supporting phone calls and letters from intellectuals and even political figures. To remind, last week the Istanbul court sentenced Hrant Dink to 6 months of conditional imprisonment for demonstrating disregard towards Turks. In his article Dink called upon Armenians not to poison their blood with hatred towards Turks but think about Armenia’s future. However the court thought that Dink meant “the poisonous blood of Turks.” “I have never outraged any nation. An Armenian will never do such a thing. We do not offend but are searching for our right like I am doing now. I am searching for my right and the right of my ancestors”, Dink said. Term genocide was mentioned for several times in his article and this fact, in Dink’s opinion has become the reason of his sentence. “However I am not punished and not sent to prison, since it will stir up an international scandal”, he said adding that the court examination had the purpose of making him silent. In case Dink fails to justify himself in the Supreme Court he is going to appeal to the European Court of Human Rights. A similar court session is expected as regards writer Orhan Pamuk for statements on the Armenian Genocide. The well-known writer could receive Nobel Prize in Literature, RFE/RL reported.

Edited by Edward, 14 October 2005 - 06:38 PM.

#10 shaunt

shaunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:56 PM

Hrant Dink has real big balls; I like him.

#11 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (shaunt @ Oct 14 2005, 10:56 PM)
Hrant Dink has real big balls; I like him.

laugh.gif I agree with you, but something about a Dink with big balls makes me laugh....

#12 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

Freedom of Expression Under Threat in Turkey
By Amberin Zaman
Istanbul
21 October 2005

Zaman report - Download 527k
Listen to Zaman report

After decades of knocking on Europe's door, Turkey officially launched membership negotiations with the European Union on October 3. But a string of recent cases launched against prominent Turkish authors and journalists, mainly over their views on the mass slaughter of Armenians under the Ottoman Empire, has refocused attention on Turkey's human rights record. And EU officials and rights groups warn that continuing prosecution of Turkish citizens for the non-violent expression of their views remains a big obstacle to Turkey's membership.

The phones ring incessantly in Hrant Dink's office these days. Mr. Dink, an ethnic Armenian, is the publisher of the weekly newspaper Agos that serves Turkey's small Armenian community. He says the calls are from citizens expressing sympathy over his plight. Mr. Dink was handed a suspended six-month sentence earlier this month on charges of insulting the Turkish people in a newspaper article that was published in Agos.

Mr. Dink can barely control his tears as he rails against what he terms "the injustice" of that sentence. He insists that his article pressed the Armenian people to purge any feelings of animosity toward the Turks. So why Turkish judges deemed his words offensive to the Turkish people, he says, remains a complete mystery.

EU Commissioner for Enlargement Olli Rehn, accompanied by Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk, left, talks to journalists in Istanbul, Turkey
Mr. Dink is among several prominent Turkish intellectuals who are being prosecuted for their views. The internationally acclaimed Turkish author Orhan Pamuk is facing up to four years in prison for also insulting the Turkish state. Mr. Pamuk, whose work has been translated into 35 languages, was indicted for telling a Swiss magazine that "30,000 Kurds and one million Armenians were killed in these lands and no one, but I, dares to say so." Mr. Pamuk is due to appear in court on December 16 in a trial that is likely to come under intense international scrutiny.

The EU's enlargement commissioner Olli Rehn has warned that should Mr. Pamuk be convicted, negotiations with the European Union could be interrupted.

The fate of some 1.5 million Ottoman Armenian citizens who once inhabited the country remains a highly sensitive topic in modern Turkey.

The Armenians say most of their kin died in a genocide campaign waged by a group of army officers known as the Young Turks, who led Turkey during the First World War. Turkey says several hundred thousand Armenians did perish, but as a result of hunger, exposure and disease, as they were forcibly marched into the Syrian desert after collaborating with invading Russian forces.

A growing number of Turkish academics and intellectuals are daring to challenge the official line and never more openly than during a ground breaking conference that took place last month in Istanbul. During the two-day event, some of the participants described the mass killings of Armenians as genocide.

Like many here, Mr. Dink says that the forum proves that Turkey is finally beginning to face up to its past and is a further sign that EU inspired reforms are finally beginning to make an impact. But for some, he notes, such progress comes at a heavy price.

Mr. Dink says he believes that what he calls the "deep state," a coalition of militantly nationalist individuals within the army, the judiciary and other state organs who oppose Turkey's EU membership, are responsible for the legal challenges he and his colleagues face. Through such cases he says this "deep state" hopes to derail the EU process and hang onto its influence and privileges. But he also lays part of the blame on the government led by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Mr. Dink lauds the government for pushing through a broad swath or reforms that helped pave the way for the Oct. 3 accession talks. But the same government, he adds is also responsible for introducing articles in the newly adopted penal code under which he and fellow writers are being prosecuted.

#13 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,590 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:37 AM

International Figures Condemn Turkey for Dink Conviction
(Combined Sources)--A long list of international artists, academics, literary figures, and journalists have forwarded a letter of protest to the Turkish government asking it to guarantee the political rights of Turkish citizens.

Peter Balakian, Atom Egoyan, David Barsamian, Tessa Hoffman, Halil Berktay, Noam Chomsky, Ronald Suny, Vahakn Dadrian, and Alfred de Zayas are among the 260 signatories of a letter that was sent to not only Turkish president Sezer and prime minister Erdogan, but to also the head of the country's parliament, Minster of Justice, and international human rights organizations, the European Union, the international press, and appropriate US organizations.

The letter specifically condemns the conviction of Hrant Dink, editor-in-chief of the bilingual Turkish-Armenian weekly Agos. Dink, who received a six-month suspended term, was found guilty of "insulting and weakening Turkish identity through the media" in articles about the Ottoman Empire's massacre of Armenians.

The letter also denounces cases involving the vice-chairman of the pro-Kurdish Democratic People's Party, publisher Ragip Zarakolu for "insulting Ataturk," and Orhan Pamuk.

Pamuk received Germany's highest literary honor--the German Publishers' Peace prize at the 57th Frankfurt book fair last week. But in his native country, he is scheduled to go on trial in December for saying: "thirty-thousand Kurds and one million Armenians were killed in these lands."

#14 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,590 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

EU Demands of Turkey to Include Suits against Pamuk and Dink
05.11.2005 20:05 GMT+04:00 Print version Send to mail
/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Next week the EU will present a list of 150 requirements to Turkey. The list will include suits against Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk and ethnic Armenian journalist Hrant Dink. Orhan Pamuk had stated that one million Armenians were killed and will appear before court due to that in December. It should be reminded that EU Commissioner for Enlargement Olli Rehn urged Turkish authorities to withdraw indictments against Pamuk. The Agos newspaper editor-in-chief Hrant Dink was conditionally sentenced to 6 months of imprisonment «for insulting Turkish dignity.»
! Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited without reference to «PanARMENIAN.Net».

#15 Kenger

Kenger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Nov 5 2005, 02:04 PM)
EU Demands of Turkey to Include Suits against Pamuk and Dink
05.11.2005 20:05 GMT+04:00 Print version Send to mail
/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Next week the EU will present a list of 150 requirements to Turkey. The list will include suits against Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk and ethnic Armenian journalist Hrant Dink. Orhan Pamuk had stated that one million Armenians were killed and will appear before court due to that in December. It should be reminded that EU Commissioner for Enlargement Olli Rehn urged Turkish authorities to withdraw indictments against Pamuk. The Agos newspaper editor-in-chief Hrant Dink was conditionally sentenced to 6 months of imprisonment «for insulting Turkish dignity.»
! Reproduction in full or in part is prohibited without reference to «PanARMENIAN.Net».

Hi.
What he literally said was "The clean blood, that will replace the poisonous blood of Turk, can be found in the noble vein of Armenian that he would establish with Armenia"

"Türk’ten boşalacak o zehirli kanın yerini dolduracak temiz kan, Ermeni’nin Ermenistan’la kuracağı asil damarında mevcuttur." Agos, Feb. 13, 2004

The sentence actually is not trying hard to not to be understood the way judges did. One needs to read the whole article to get what he really meant, which i think was rather positive, by Turkish point of view too.

#16 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,590 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:50 PM

Turkish Court Acquitted Hrant Dink
10.02.2006 21:03 GMT+04:00 Print version Send to mail
/PanARMENIAN.Net/ As result of the legal proceedings that lasted over a year the court of the Turkish town of Urfa acquitted editor-in-chief of Akos newspaper Hrant Dink accused of outraging Turkish symbols. In case Dink were found guilty he could be sentenced to 3 years of imprisonment. The Akos editor-in-chief said he was not present at the court sessions. His lawyers told him he was acquitted. However it was only one of three suits brought against Hrant Dink in Turkey. “Another trial will start March 16 in Istanbul. I am accused of exerting pressure upon the Turkish courts,” Dink said. On the basis of another accusation – outraging of Turkish identity – Hrant Dink was sentenced to 6 months of conditional imprisonment. However he appealed the verdict later. The complaint is not considered by the court and the situation can last months or even years. Dink says in case he is found guilty he and his family will leave Turkey, reported RFE/RL

#17 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,590 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

MESROB MUTAFYAN: HRANT DINK TRIES TO COMPROMISE ARMENIAN COMMUNITY OF TURKEY

I supported and I will support any step of the Armenian and Turkish governments, aimed at normalizing relations, Constantinople Patriarch Mesrob Mutafyan stated in an interview with the Hurriyet. He called the conference at Istanbul University, where Turkey's official and unofficial stances over the Armenian Genocide can be voiced, very important. Touching upon Agos newspaper editor Hrant Dink's article, in which the latter accuses the Patriarch in efforts to subordinate the Armenian community, Mutafyan said, «Hrant Dink compared me with a member of a sect, who blindly attaches community members to himself. He tries to compromise the community and me. Of course, I will work to unite the community based on the Bible. It is normal,» Istanbul-based Marmara newspaper reports.

#18 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,590 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

ANOTHER TRIAL AWAITS DINK

Editor of the Agos Armenian newspaper, ethnic Armenian Hrant Dink was given a six-month suspended sentence last October. He had written a newspaper article which addressed the mass killings of Ottoman Armenians nine decades ago, the BBC reports. This case is one of several monitored closely by EU officials concerned about limits on free speech in Turkey. In February, the chief prosecutor's office at the Appeals Court considered Mr Dink's case and recommended that the remarks were in no way insulting. But now, in a surprise development, the court itself has chosen to ignore that interpretation and ruled that the substance of the charge still stands. The high-profile newspaper editor, whose publication Agos appears in Turkish and Armenian, was first found guilty of insulting Turkishness last year when a court ruled that one of his articles described Turkish blood as dirty. European Union officials have expressed serious concern about the article of law that was used against Hrant Dink and several dozen other writers here in Turkey. Despite a series of reforms linked to Turkey's bid for membership of the EU, it is still illegal to insult the Turkish identity, the military and the judiciary and the line between criticism and insult is often blurred. We note that the next trial on Dink’s case is scheduled in Istanbul May 16.

#19 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

PRIZE TO HRANT DINK

Lragir.am
10 May 06

The Stern Weekly reports that Hrant Dink, Editor-in-Chief of the Agos
Weekly published in Turkey, will receive the Henri Nannen prize of
the German Gruner & Jahr Publishers and Stern Weekly. Hrant Dink was
distinguished for high professionalism and bald standpoint of an honest
and brave citizen, writes the Stern. The prize was given to one of 191
press reporters. The prize will be delivered to Hrant Dink in Hamburg
on May 12. For Hrant Dink, the Stern writes that he gives his vote to
his people, he is a voice of his people. The Stern emphasizes that the
bald materials of the editor of the Agos has broken the wall of silence
and fear in Turkey, behind which the Armenians of Turkey are living.

#20 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

TURKISH PROSECUTOR PROBES ARMENIAN JOURNALIST FOR GENOCIDE STATEMENT

A Turkish prosecutor has launched an investigation into an Armenian-Turkish journalist for calling the World War I massacres of Armenians a genocide, a news report said Tuesday. The probe may or may not lead to Hrant Dink, editor of the bilingual newspaper Agos, being prosecuted for insulting "Turkishness," the Dogan News Agency reported. He could be imprisoned if charged and convicted. Dink said he was aware of the reports but had not been officially notified about the probe. The prosecutor in Istanbul could not be reached for comment. The investigation was launched over Dink's statement to a western news agency in which he said: "Of course I say it was genocide... With these events you see the disappearance of a people who lived on these lands for 4,000 years." The Turkish government insists the mass evacuation and related deaths of Armenians living in Turkey from 1915 to 1923 does not amount to genocide and says the death toll of 1.5 million is inflated. Dink said he was surprised by the probe. "I had no intention of insulting Turkishness," Dink said. "My only concern is to improve Armenian and Turkish relations." The new probe comes just days after a Turkish high court confirmed a six-month prison sentence imposed on Dink for attempting to influence the judiciary after Agos ran articles criticizing the law which makes it a crime to insult Turkishness. Dink's sentence, however, was postponed. The law, which also brings penalties for insulting Turkish officials or government institutions, has been used to bring charges against dozens of journalists, publishers and scholars. The European Union has warned Turkey that the law could seriously hamper efforts to join the bloc. Author Elif Safak, a University of Arizona assistant professor, was recently charged with "insulting Turkishness" because of the words uttered by fictional Armenian characters in her novel "The Bastard of Istanbul." Turkish courts dropped similar charges against acclaimed novelist Orhan Pamuk earlier this year following an international uproar.
* AP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users