Party Dogu Perincek will stand trial in Switzerland. The legal
proceedings launched over violation of Swiss anti-racist law on the
Armenian Genocide denial may cause tension in the Swiss-Turkish
relations. The news has already made a stir in Turkey, where
nationalists, specifically members of the Talaat-***** committee claim
"it's a process against Turkey." Representatives of the Armenian
Association of Switzerland said this trial may become a kind of
"premiere". They say rallies in Perincek's support and attempts to
threaten the Swiss authorities are also possible.

In September 2005 the Swiss law enforcement charged Dogu Perincek
of violating the anti-racist law by denying the Armenian Genocide
three times. Perincek called the Genocide "an international lie"
during his speech in Bern and repeated the same words in Zurich.

According to the Swiss legislation, public denial or justification
of the Armenian Genocide conflicts with the law and is viewed as a
criminal deed. Dogu Perincek made a similar statement in May 2005
and also during an event dedicated to the 82nd anniversary of the
Lausanne Treaty, reports IA Regnum.

A criminal case was also initiated against chairman of the Turkish
Association of Historians Yusuf Halacogly, who repeatedly denies the
Armenian Genocide. Official Ankara is constantly censuring the Swiss
government and the court decisions. The Swiss authorities, however,
say the juridical system functions independently of the government.

#62 neko

neko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(ArmoArmeN @ Feb 25 2007, 03:06 AM) View Post

DEPORTATION AND ANNIHILATION OF ARMENIANS WASN'T CAUSED BY RELIGION

PanARMENIAN.Net
21.02.2007 18:27 GMT+04:00

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ The idea of deporting Armenians from Anatolia
occurred to Turkish leaders in 1913 after suffering a defeat in
the Balkan war. At those times Turks concluded they can't live with
Christians, Turkish historian Taner Akcam said in an interview with
Minneapolis Star Tribune. "In October 1912 the Ottoman Empire lost
69% of its territory, a homeland for young Turks. They lost because
of Christians.

Armenians made 45% of the population of Anatolia," the Turkish
historian said. According to him, in 1914 the Ottoman government
proceeded to elaboration of a plan for deploying troops in
Anatolia. "However, I do not think that religion was a cause for
deportation and annihilation of Armenians. Majority of Armenians
received education in Europe and were atheists.

Religion was used for uniting the Muslim population against Armenians,"
Taner Akcam said, reports RFE/RL.

Taner Akcam is one of the first Turkish historians to recognize the
Armenian Genocide. In 1978 he immigrated to Germany and was granted
the status of a political refugee. Presently he is a professor of
history at the Minnesota University.

Either Akcam has been getting interviewed by lots of really amateurish journalists (a possibility, since most journalists are idiots) or his mouth works independently from his brain.
What sort of real historian would come away with nonsense like "In October 1912 the Ottoman Empire lost 69% of its territory .... because of Christians"? The Balkan wars were fought because national groups were re-asserting their identities and wanted to govern themselves, free from the rule of an oppressive and backward empire. Religion had little to do with it on the Greek, Bulgarian, or Serbian side - proved by the fact that as soon as they had defeated Turkey they started squabbling and fighting each other. The "a homeland for young Turks" bit can be put down to the ignorance of the journalist, who clearly doesn't understand that it means something completely different when written "the homeland for the Young Turks". But how can Akcam say in one sentence "However, I do not think that religion was a cause for deportation and annihilation of Armenians", and a couple of sentences later say the exact opposite: "Religion was used for uniting the Muslim population against Armenians". huh.gif

#63 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE(neko @ Mar 6 2007, 01:01 PM) View Post

Either Akcam has been getting interviewed by lots of really amateurish journalists (a possibility, since most journalists are idiots) or his mouth works independently from his brain. [ / QUOTE]

or a fool like you decided to play with words again.

[*QUOTE] What sort of real historian would come away with nonsense like "In October 1912 the Ottoman Empire lost 69% of its territory .... because of Christians"? The Balkan wars were fought because national groups were re-asserting their identities and wanted to govern themselves, free from the rule of an oppressive and backward empire. Religion had little to do with it on the Greek, Bulgarian, or Serbian side [ / QUOTE]

MORON! Christians were forced to pay hight taxes by the muslims. All the rights were taken away from the christians because the muslims were considering themselves superior to "GAVURS".

[* QUOTE] - proved by the fact that as soon as they had defeated Turkey they started squabbling and fighting each other. [/ QUOTE]

Is this your reason to justify the turkish hate for the christians?

[*QUOTE] The "a homeland for young Turks" bit can be put down to the ignorance of the journalist, who clearly doesn't understand that it means something completely different when written "the homeland for the Young Turks". [/ QUOTE]

smile.gif Remember 'Midnight Express' ? Remember how it was said that the turks define everything the way it suits their needs? Why is it I'm not surprised to see that crap coming out of you?

[*QUOTE] But how can Akcam say in one sentence "However, I do not think that religion was a cause for deportation and annihilation of Armenians", and a couple of sentences later say the exact opposite: "Religion was used for uniting the Muslim population against Armenians". huh.gif

Akcam says religion was used for uniting the(the ignorant, uneducated) Muslim population against the Armenians.. but the young turks who united the muslims against the armenians have done it because the armenians who got education in Europe were 'controling many of the industries'...Do you need to remind you the rest of what U.S. Ambassador Morgenthau to Talaat?

The ignorant muslims were united against the christians, but the real reason behind the deportation and annihilation is commerce and -whatever plan the young turks had.

#64 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

telegraph.co.uk

The Armenian genocide

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 18/10/2007

Helen Brown reviews A Shameful Act: the Armenian Genocide and the Question of Turkish Responsibility by Taner Akçam tr by Paul Bessemer

In 2005, the Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk was charged with the criminal offence of "insulting Turkishness" for stating that "a million Armenians were killed in these [Turkish] lands and nobody dares to talk about it".

Last October, he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, becoming the first Turkish Nobel prizewinner. But in Turkey the use of the word "genocide" to describe the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Armenians in the early 20th century is still taboo, and carries a three-year prison sentence.

In his scrupulously researched book on the ethnic cleansing that Theodore Roosevelt described as "the greatest crime" of the First World War, the Turkish-born sociologist and historian Taner Akçam calls on the people of Turkey "to consider the suffering inflicted in their name".

In the measured tone used throughout his account of these horrific human "liquidations", Akçam tells the people of his homeland that all communities are prone to dwell not on the wrongs they have inflicted but on those they have endured.

And that in recording the decline of the Ottoman Empire, Turkey has too long "memorialised" the massacre of Muslims by Armenians, Bulgarians, Greeks and others "while making no mention of suffering inflicted by Muslims on non-Muslim groups such as the massacre of Christians, let alone the Armenian genocide… To prevent the recurrence of such events," he says, "people must first consider their own responsibility, discuss it, debate it, and recognise it."

To be fair to the men and women on the Turkish streets, there are practical reasons why they might not know too much about their country's uncomfortable past. The Alphabet Reform of 1928 changed Turkish script from Arabic to Latin letters and, "with a stroke of a pen", writes Akçam, "the Turkish people lost their connection to written history", becoming dependent on the version sanctioned by a state that had "pruned" its archives of most incriminating documents in 1918.

To this day, the complete official court records from the period are absent and those documents still extant are often dismissed by Turkish scholars as "victors' justice" imposed by the Allies, eager to discredit the Ottomans and carve up the empire.

Akçam – who obtained political asylum in Germany in the 1970s after receiving a 10-year prison sentence for involvement in a student journal, and now teaches in America – has sought out documents from around the world. He has hunted down the memoirs of foreign missionaries and ambassadors and the telegrams sent by the perpetrators to make a solid case for the genocide having been planned and orchestrated by the Turkish Nationalist party.

He explains how, following their defeat in the Balkan War of 1912-13, the Ottomans lost more than 60 per cent of their territory, and a deep belief developed that it was impossible for the Turks to live side by side with the empire's remaining Christian population.

Although Armenian men were conscripted to fight for Turkey in the Great War, they were suspected of forming a fifth column. And after Turkey's devastating defeat by the Russians at Sarikamish in 1914-5, the Armenians in the army were led away from their units and killed.

It was also at this time that the "deportations" began. Although Turkish war criminals argued that they just wanted the Armenians out, Akçam points out that no transport was provided. He convincingly argues that the implicit aim was elimination. Armenian homes and possessions were confiscated or looted. If groups of Armenian women, children and the elderly weren't slaughtered, they died on death marches or through starvation.

Men such as Celal, the governor-general of Aleppo, asked the ministry of war to provide housing for the deportees and was refused. He recalls feeling "like a man standing by a river without any means of rescue. But instead of water, the river flowed with blood and thousands of innocent children, blameless old men, helpless women and strong young people all on their way to destruction. Those I could seize with my hands I saved; the others I assume floated downstream, never to return."

Such moments of emotion are rare in this book: Akçam is attempting to make a watertight legal case for genocide, and has nearly 200 pages of footnotes.

We in the West must face our own responsibility. We read how, after 1920, the British abandoned their demand for the war criminals to be punished, and many of those responsible found their way straight back into the "new" Turkish government. In a depressing final paragraph, Akçam says that because the Great Powers used words such as "human rights" and "democracy"

to legitimise the most obvious colonial moves, Turks began to view both notions as 'Western hypocrisy'. Beyond the specific historical reasons, the fundamental problems that lay behind the failure to bring the perpetrators of the Armenian genocide to justice persist to this day. If it is not possible to draw a clear line of division between humanitarian goals, on the one hand, and a state's economic and political interests, on the other, then how are we to come to a consensus about ethical norms?

While acknowledging that this question remains unanswered, Akçam seems optimistic. He has dedicated his book to a devout Muslim Turk who risked death by hiding members of an Armenian family in his home, whose "courageous act continues to point a way towards a different relationship between Turks and Armenians."

#65 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Turkish Armenians indignant at Defense Minister’s statement

/PanARMENIAN.Net/ Those who do not like Turkey’s "one nation, one flag" structure can leave and go anywhere they like better, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said when commenting on Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul statement that Turkey had to deport Greeks and Armenians in the beginning of the 20th century.

Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul took this threatening discourse to new heights on Monday with a speech he gave at the Turkish Embassy in Brussels. "Would we be the nation-state we are today if the Greeks in the Aegean region or the Armenians here and there continued to stay in Turkey?" he asked.

Gonul drew harsh criticism from intellectuals and civil society organizations for expressing ideas in a way that could be taken for justifying ethnic cleansing.

The Armenian community of Istanbul sent a letter to PM Erdogan to remind that the Turkish Constitution says that Turk is a citizen of Turkey, irrelative of the nationality, Turkish Press Review reports.

#66 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTRY'S ARCHIVES DOCUMENTS USED IN FILM "GENOCIDE WITH NO COMMENT"

Noyan Tapan
http://www.nt.am?shownews=1011307
Jan 15, 2009

YEREVAN, JANUARY 15, NOYAN TAPAN. A film under the title "Genocide
With No Comment" was shown on January 14 at the Erebuni Plaza
business center for the staff of the RA Ministry of Diaspora. The
film is completely based on documentary materials. The script-writer
is Vardan Pap, the director and producer is Alexander Sarduri.

According to the director, the accusation voiced in Germany regarding
non-objective presentation of the Genocide by the Armenians became
an occasion for shooting the film.

As Noyan Tapan was informed by the RA Ministry of Diaspora Press
and Public Relations Department, archives documents of the German
Foreign Ministry were used in the film. Journalist Wolfgang Gust,
a German by nationality, played the leading part in the film. He has
done rather a large work in German archives in the issue of revealing
and studying materials regarding the Armenian Genocide.

#67 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

A TURKISH CITIZEN GIVES AWAY FAMILY LAND AS GENOCIDE REPARATION

Blogian.net
09 Jan 2009

Encouraged by the recent apology to Armenians by thousands of
Turkish intellectuals and dissidents, a Turkish citizen has done the
unprecedented: Berzan Boti (not his real name) of Siirt is giving
all the land he inherited to an Assyrian organisation. Along with
Armenians, indigenous Assyrians were also victims of the WWI genocide
at the hands of Ottoman Empire's government during WWI: Boti's letter
to Sabri Atman, founder and director of the Assyrian Seyfo Center in
Europe who will now be responsible for the returned land (south of the
Lake Van), states: "When I found out that the properties that I and my
brothers inherited from our father wasn't our own, but properties taken
from the murdered Assyrians in 1915 I felt an indescribable feeling of
guilt and shame. I've been thinking long and hard before I have come
to this decision. I tried to put myself in their position. I have
personally apologised to every Assyrian and Armenian I've meet. But
this does not get rid of the crime our ancestors committed. Even if I
am personally not responsible for what happened in 1915, I felt as I
had to do more than just to apologise. Finally, I came to the decision
to give back all properties that I inherited from my forefathers to
Seyfo Center, who struggles for a confession of the Seyfo genocide
in 1915".

#68 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

US CIA NEW HEAD RECOGNIZES THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE

AZGOnline

US President-elect Barack Obama’s nominee for the post of the head of CIA recognizes the fact of the Armenian Genocide.

According to the Turkish news agencies, Leon Panetta, who is nominated for the post of the head of the US CIA, in one of his statements in 1992 qualified the incidents of 1915 as genocide, "Noyan Tapan" reported.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users