70 replies to this topic

#41 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:41 PM

And as someone who has been following this place for years, I have to say it's not funny anymore the quality of the threads that are started. Quality is relative, granted, but just have a look at the inordinate amount of effort people had to put in to rephrase and clarify someone's question for them. That effort should have been put out by the author of the topic in the first place. It's plain selfishness! An ideal discussion would have an introduction of some sort, then a body consisting of debate, blah blah blah, and then maybe a conclusion. You can't have this in a forum where things are so open-ended, but nowadays we see discussions end before they start and people are left with back analyzing stuff. It's like, come on...

#42 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:44 PM

Good point Vava.
I am more familiar with the situation in Armenia in this respect. I personally would not call it a "huge" problem, but I think that the drug problem is getting alarming size. It is a little different in Armenia as the law enforcement agencies are tougher generally speaking. If somebody is cought smoking one of 2 things are to happen. 1) the person bribes the police and gets away, 2) the person doesn't have mony to bribe, so he goes to jail (either way he gets beat up upon arrest, but that's a different issue). Here in the US, in many instances people are not arrested or are set free if the crime is just smoking. So, in Armenian it doesn't have to be addiction to be considered a problem.
In recent years many youths have been smoking "plan" as they call it. This trend is growing, and that is what I find alarming. Why? Because it is not a mere recreation. It may entail huge financial and family problems. Buying is not cheap, and if you are caught its a lot of money by Armenian standards.
The other thing is, the age group of "plan" smokers is increasingly becoming younger. So after school instead of thinking about a job, career, etc. increasing number of youths are doing this stuff on a regular basis and becoming useless people with no future, and creating big problems for their families.

#43 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:02 PM

hmmm..drugs? i think are stupid as skitt put it--i would never ever even try them....or cigarettes for that matter-its pointless-to fell "good" or high for a couple of hours in your life then end up "paying" for it because most drugs are very harmful especially psychologically/neurobiologically--

as to the "huge problem among armenians" i have not experienced or heard such--no one in my family or friends has or has had such a problem--most people i know share the same views as i about drugs...but i ca see what one would mean by that...because of who you are exposed to in your environment and what you see going around yuo in schools/parties or hear about...its probably just overgeneralization...

Edited by angel4hope, 02 January 2004 - 06:02 PM.

#44 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:14 PM

i would try them, but for sure i wouldn't get addicted to them -- addiction is all in the mind. i've tried almost everything out there, and i'm not an addict. trying != addiction or stupidity or ignorance. it's just curiosity. biggrin.gif

#45 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Jan 2 2004, 07:14 PM)
-- addiction is all in the mind....

Well, not really. Not all the time. Some substances have physiologically addictive qualities. Cigarettes, for example are highly addictive - on a purely physical/chemical level. Mood-alteration in general can be easily addictive (this however is more likely psychological in nature)

But this is off-topic ohmy.gif

#46 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:34 PM

vava, i don't see how that's off-topic.

i have smoked cigarettes and never felt addicted to them... blink.gif like i said, i've tried every type of drug, and haven't been addicted to it. yeah, it might be somewhat addictive, but if you don't have that intention in your mind, you won't get addicted. a lot of people do it just cos it looks cool (i.e. being addicts and all that, ooo, i smoke weed, or whatever), just like a lot of people dress like punks just cos it's THE way to dress these days. Yeah, I'm not denying that after 3 years of using a drug you wouldn't be addicted to it, but if you've been taking the stuff for 2 weeks or a month even, you wouldn't be addicted to it, trust me.

#47 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (vava @ Jan 3 2004, 04:27 AM)
Cigarettes, for example are highly addictive - on a purely physical/chemical level.

how come i didn't get addicted then? lol

#48 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:07 PM

the addictive nature of cigarettes/nicotine is highly overrated for the quit-smoking solutions market. rolleyes.gif

#49 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:23 PM

Boghos - baravo all around!

And I think Sasun has a drug problem - a classic case...its Hye forum moderatorship...its way going to his head...he can't seem to get enough (meddling)...definatley an addict...and way out of control....

#50 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (skittles @ Jan 2 2004, 10:53 PM)
how come i didn't get addicted then? lol

This is complext brain chemistry, some will never get addicted, but still nicotine is highly addictive.

#51 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:44 PM

well i didn't feel much(except it stank) so i thought it's nothing special and i can't imagine how people get addicted...

#52 hasmiek

hasmiek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:arts and humans

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:28 AM

Davo,

How do yo define a drug addict? Are the men smoking more than 2 packs of cigarettes a day drug addicts? or the Mothers who depressed at 40 taking antidepressivia for the rest of their lives, people who smoke weed everyday because otherwise they can't sleep or just the regular hard drug (heroin cocaine) junkies? And not to forget the alcoholics...

I have to say I did notice that there are a lot of armenians I see smoke excessively, and a lot of middle aged women suffer from depression and take medication. I also see that a lot of these people don't work and have a low education, and they hardly speak dutch. maybe they don't know the concequences, but I can't imagine that. I think a big problem for them is boredom (as mentioned by someone before) and isolation. They seem not to be happy here.

but i'm just guessing.

#53 Davo0074_NL

Davo0074_NL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:33 AM

Barev Hyer jan,

I`m happy that people respond to the topic and I`m also happy that people finally stop attacking me on my words.

Sasun jan, thanks for helping me out so everybody could understand what I meant.

Boghos jan, no hard feelings at all but I need to say that you have a good way of analystic and academic thinking. Though I need to express my worries about the fact that you are so good at analizing my words but that you are not able to understand what I mean.

Davo ph34r.gif

#54 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:14 PM

alcohol, nicotine, drugs (illicit or (some)legit) are all addictive substances!!! please don't be fooled or misinformed!!! ---either someone has to be ignorant about this or in denial!!---vava is right...all these substances can be physiologically addictive AND also psychologically as well, which makes them even more dangerous!!
and usually the physiological aspect of the addiction is overcome sooner than the psychological---really! this is not my opinion, it's the facts, if you look into it you'll see! the one sure thing that can be said about all these substances especially alcohol and illicit drugs is that they can break up relationships, destroy homes and countless lives...so it's not just a "state of mind" or having the "willpower" to quit!!...actually the willpower lies in never trying them in the first place!

#55 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:38 PM

bruin, how do you explain the fact that i've used a certain drug for quite a long time and just stopped doing it? i think drug addiction is HIGHLY HIGHLY overrated...

#56 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Jan 5 2004, 07:38 PM)
bruin, how do you explain the fact that i've used a certain drug for quite a long time and just stopped doing it? i think drug addiction is HIGHLY HIGHLY overrated...

first off i gotta know which "drug" and secondly exactly how frequently you've been using it and over how long... is it a mood altering drug? a psychedelic drug? a depressant? a stimulant? then gotta take a look at your blood chemistry panel and see how your liver enzymes (and other stuff) are holding up...maybe you're a fast metabolizer? don't know??---also, looking at your diet might help too... i can't just give an answer off the top of my head! there's many things influencing addiction...or perhaps you're confusing addiction with tolerance???

#57 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:22 PM

it was E.... and I used to take it on a regular basis.. and what do you mean by tolerance? if you mean "large quantities not effecting" me, then no, i've had overdose problems, so it's definitely not tolerance... blink.gif

#58 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Jan 5 2004, 10:22 PM)
it was E.... and I used to take it on a regular basis.. and what do you mean by tolerance? if you mean "large quantities not effecting" me, then no, i've had overdose problems, so it's definitely not tolerance... blink.gif

well, certain drugs are very potent when it comes to addiction especailly crack coke!!---let me do some research on that , then i'll get back to you...and just because you od'd once and survived doesn't mean you'll be so lucky next time! take care of yourself dan jan smile.gif and i will get back to you on this with a more concrete answer....nothing's worth abusing the temple of your soul smile.gif

#59 Armo77

Armo77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:30 PM

only thing I used to do was smoke weed out... No hard drugs.

#60 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:31 PM

lol, nah, i'm not talking about overdosing (although i was in a pretty bad shape when it happened).. i'm just talking about regular use and addiction and withdrawal from it. tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users