• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

And so we get into a profound discussion of "Did you see what she was wearing?" ohmy.gif tongue.gif

#22 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

Aspiring Memetic Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

I'm here to solve problems.

#23 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 9 2005, 11:29 PM)
I dont like those either. sad.gif  looks like they are wearing the small rug from my childhood bedroom.

Azat,
As a reference, would you care to name a couple of designers that you consider worthy of consideration? Thanks.
I'm having hard time to understand what you consider as "acceptable" work of fashion.

#24 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Feb 10 2005, 04:24 PM)
yeah, I am sorry I just think that when it comes to fashion Armenians have to eat a lot of "hats u panir" to get up there. I just did not see any elegance, sexuality, style anything in those fashions.

Kakachik,
What were you expecting? Galliano, JP Gaultier, Issey Miyake, Junko Shimada or Christian Lacroix?
I agree that the "finished products" need to be polished and the workmanship lacks the quality, but I find some of the ideas quite impressive.
The industry is still nascent and there's still a lack of traditions. I agree that designers in Armenia still need "hats ou banir" but, at least, they seem to be producing and eating "hats ou banir!"
Personally, I see in the following designers promising ideas - again, the execution of the ideas may need further polishing!
Avetisian Syuzi
Dudukchian Inga
Manukian Yulia
Sharbatyan Arthur
Stepanyan Margarita

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Feb 10 2005, 04:24 PM)
Plus, have you been in Armenia lately and feel how people's clothes are different from the West? The first few days I felt in some Anatolian village, most clothes come from Turkey so what do you expect? What girls consider sexy is completely different form the West? The style of jeans that these girls were wearing I've only seen on Hispanic sweat shop workers in East Los Angeles. I want to say, the fasion sense is not behind for few years from the West, but completely different. This will change as the nation becomes for economically developed, hopefully.

I don't mean to offend anybody, but, sometimes I feel the same about Americans. Honestly, I find most of the gowns and dresses that stars wear - during ceremonies - somehow "provincial" and "cheesy!" Yet, they probably cost a fortune! Of course, my perception may be - and probably is - culturally biased! I'm neither impressed by the sense of style of most Americans I cross during the day! I'm sorry!
Also, many Japanese students live in my neighborhood: sometimes, it's hard to tell if their look is purposely a little funky, a little punk or simply...another style!

Of course, I'm not denying that the quality of what they can currently afford - in Armenia - may not be what we would like to see!

#25 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Siamanto @ Feb 10 2005, 09:18 PM)
I don't mean to offend anybody, but, sometimes I feel the same about Americans.

I say offend the hell out of them. More French power. They sometimes forget that even their symbol is a French statue smile.gif

#26 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Siamanto @ Feb 10 2005, 07:14 PM)
Azat,
As a reference, would you care to name a couple of designers that you consider worthy of consideration? Thanks.
I'm having hard time to understand what you consider as "acceptable" work of fashion.

Hugo Boss is my favorite

I also like Armani

#27 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

By the way there were many there that I liked, I just did not like any of the traditional stuff
http://fashion.ww.am...collection3.htm

#28 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 10 2005, 09:44 PM)
By the way there were many there that I liked, I just did not like any of the traditional stuff

Azat, I think you don't give enough credit to the potential of Armenian traditional colorings, ornaments and figures. They are very original. The work of Sarian, Minas and Parajanov, which developed the Armenian "color" sense, is a clear evidense that our traditional stuff has a lot of power. Sexy or otherwise.

When they started experimenting with Armenian folk music eveyone felt the same. And there is already some quality stuff there.

#29 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:05 PM

Let's not get blinded by the national pride. The layering of colors and fabric cause temporary dizziness.

#30 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Feb 10 2005, 02:24 PM)
Plus, have you been in Armenia lately and feel how people's clothes are different from the West? The first few days I felt in some Anatolian village, most clothes come from Turkey so what do you expect? What girls consider sexy is completely different form the West? The style of jeans that these girls were wearing I've only seen on Hispanic sweat shop workers in East Los Angeles. I want to say, the fasion sense is not behind for few years from the West, but completely different. This will change as the nation becomes for economically developed, hopefully.

Like you stated at the end, don't you think this more has to do with money than taste? Most clothes come from Turkey because they are cheaper.

#31 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Armen @ Feb 10 2005, 09:25 PM)
I say offend the hell out of them.  More French power. They sometimes forget that even their symbol is a French statue smile.gif

OK! smile.gif

Only the statue?
How about "French???" fries? (That the French consider Belgian!)
How about "French???" dressing? (That no French have heard of?)

QUOTE (Armen @ Feb 10 2005, 09:53 PM)
Azat, I think you don't give enough credit to the potential of Armenian traditional colorings, ornaments and figures. They are very original. The work of Sarian, Minas and Parajanov, which developed the Armenian "color" sense, is a clear evidense that our traditional stuff has a lot of power. Sexy or otherwise.

When they started experimenting with Armenian folk music eveyone felt the same. And there is already some quality stuff there.

I agree!

#32 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Anileve @ Feb 10 2005, 10:05 PM)
Let's not get blinded by the national pride. The layering of colors and fabric cause temporary dizziness.

National pride has nothing to do with it. Something that is not fashionable now will become sometime. There many fashion designers in the West that experiment with Eastern figures and coloring. Armenian designers lack education and experience to design it in an acceptable, marketable or high fashion kind.

#33 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 10 2005, 09:37 PM)
Hugo Boss is my favorite

I also like Armani

Thank you for the clarification!
For the record, Hugo Boss is not "Haute Couture" while most of what is presented on fashion.am is! Hard to compare!

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 10 2005, 09:44 PM)
By the  there were many there that I liked, I just did not like any of the traditional stuff
http://fashion.ww.am...collection3.htm

Thank you for the clarification!

Edited by Siamanto, 10 February 2005 - 10:26 PM.

#34 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:18 PM

Any time.

#35 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 9 2005, 07:40 AM)
I dont like any of them. sad.gif

This OK, don't you think? Maybe because it looks more European than Arabic/Turkish/Muslim smile.gif

#36 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Armen @ Feb 10 2005, 07:53 PM)

Ok, I guess it is time for me to get bashed by everyone. I HATE the traditional music as well with the exception of few. naftalini hota galis and most suck royally.

As for Sarian and Minas and Parajanov... They would turn in their graves if they could see those dresses...

#37 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 10 2005, 10:20 PM)
Ok, I guess it is time for me to get bashed by everyone.  I HATE the traditional music as well with the exception of few.  naftalini hota galis and most suck royally.

As for Sarian and Minas and Parajanov... They would turn in their graves if they could see those dresses...

Azat, you like "Cascade" don't you? It is Armenian traditional music. Not only traditional but some of the songs are arragements of Rabiz, Latin and Jazz.

Yes, those guys would not like it but what I mean is there is lot of quality traditional stuff some day will be used.

#38 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

Azat:No bashing from me. I am with you 150%!

Edited by Anileve, 10 February 2005 - 10:23 PM.

#39 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Anileve @ Feb 10 2005, 10:05 PM)

Yes! The untrained and uneducated eyes may be overwhelmed!
Similarly, the untrained and uneducated ears hear street noise in some High Quality Music!
It's never late to refine and educate our senses and learn to appreciate!
Yes, there's a vast Universe beyond the narrowness of our perceptions!

#40 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:24 PM

and I am with you 150% smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users