#21 ediecago

ediecago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:44 AM

Arpa, MosJan and others:

Thanks all for the aveluk advice.

I DO have friends in LA -- but most stores send things by mail to us in the hinterlands. There's a market here I need to try and now that I know it's SORREL -- I can try chi-chi organic food stores too.

I THOUGHT it was lemony like sorrel is supposed to taste. Only I'd never cooked with sorrel and only had a bad sorrel soup once. Now I've had lots of great sorrel soup in Hayastan!

Thank you for the spas recipe. One of my favorite memories of Hayastan is my 7 year old daughter being served spas without being asked if she wanted any. I shuddered to think what would happen as this american kid (who does NOT eat madzoon plain -- she likes the dannon stuff with sprinkles etc.) tried a hot soup made with plain yogurt. But she tasted it, smiled at our hostess (a wonderful nun no less) and me and said "Mommy, this is delicious, can we have this at home?" I breathed many sighs of relief. I knew I had a good kid, but it's just the best when they rise to the occasion isn't it? I asked her later and she said it really was ok - tasting.

She loves lentil soups so we'll try the lentil-aveluk soup soon!

I know spinach is bad for babies until age 1 because of the oxalic acid they can't digest (although there is plenty of spinach babyfood out there). I gather aveluk is the same. The good news is that I am 43 and can therefore eat it happily.

#22 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:48 AM

Dear Ed, I am almost sure that aveluk is not sorrel. But I could be wrong. We had a different name for sorrel in Armenia.

#23 ediecago

ediecago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:01 PM

Ok Azat. I guess I will need to just bring home dried aveluk from Hayastan on my next trip and compare it to dried sorrel. It sounds to me like a wonderful excuse to eat a lot.

My husband still dreams of the old days when I decided to make a perfect Spanish flan like Siete Puertas in Barcelona. We had good to great flans every other day for several months. He liked eating my "good" attempts.

At least a combination of spinach and sorrel might taste good in a lentil soup though -- right? And it would be good for you. Time to hit the kitchen as soon as I tackle my house. We have guests coming for the holidays and there's no place for them to sleep until I clean up my "study".

Edie

#24 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

Dear Ed, I am almost sure that aveluk is not sorrel. But I could be wrong. We had a different name for sorrel in Armenia.

http://www.asgteach.com/blog/gail/photos/photos_2007/Sorrel.jpg
http://www.plant-ide...x-acetosa-3.jpg
http://upload.wikime...mex_acetosa.jpg
http://www.armeniano...ine_sorrel_soup

According to the Hanragitaran Aveluk is Rumex, the most popular of which being Rumex acetosa. There is a method to this madness, see here the chemical content- Oxalic acid., the reason why it has to be soaked for a long time. I had written about this, that Zeituntsis of Aleppo were the experts in the art of this recipe. They were the experts, and when in season they gathered and prepared it the entire neighborhood would be invited. I do remember that the leaves had to be soaked in water for a long time,changing the water several times I.e. to exude the “acid”.
Btw, “sorrel” seems to be French while the English is “dock”.
PS. In searching one will see that Sorrel soup is a very popular Jamaican dish.

Rumex Acetosa.
History and Chemical Composition.—The leaves of this and the following plant (see Rumex Acetosella) are the parts used in medicine. They are inodorous, and have an agreeable, acid, slightly astringent taste. The leaves chiefly contain acid oxalate (binoxalate) of potassium, tannic acid, and nitrogenous matter. By drying, their acidity is lost. They are used alone, or in the form of an infusion of the fresh leaves, The root contains a substance allied to crysophanic acid, and an iron-greening tannin. In the early stage of its growth, it abounds in oxalic acid (5 per cent soluble, and about 9 per cent insoluble).

Dman it! Why are we still speaking furkish? Who knows that the Armenian word for "bulgur" is "dzavar"?
----

Mama Makes It Better | 19.03.10 | 16:47
Sorrel Soup: Bringing the taste of the hills home
NAZIK ARMENAKYAN
ArmeniaNow
By Gayane Mkrtchyan
ArmeniaNow reporter
When at the beginning of summer Anahit Harutyunyan goes to gather sorrel in the hills of Geghard, it means that she is preparing for the winter cuisine.

“Sorrel is a plant with green wide leaves; it grows in almost all regions of Armenia. However, the taste of sorrel grown in mountains is tastier. After gathering sorrel, we plait it like wheat and hang it to dry,” Anahit explains.

Sorrel soup is made of dried sorrel, white bulgur, cut potatoes, stewed onions, walnuts, and dried plums.

The dried plant, twisted into braids, can be bought in markets.

Anahit says that the plaits of sorrel are called ‘gyal’ in Armenian villages. She takes a sorrel ‘gyal’, cuts it with scissors, and puts it into a bowl. She washes it with boiled water two or three times. She says that the plant is too bitter if not washed properly.

Later she adds 1.5 liters of cold water to 200 grams of sorrel and puts it on a gas fire to cook. When it starts boiling, Anahit stirs it constantly with a ladle.

When boiling, Anahit adds half a tablespoon of salt (depending on taste), then 200 grams of white bulgur, and a tablespoon of oil.

“When we add the oil, the bulgur opens like a rose in the soup, it becomes even whiter and more beautiful,” Anahit says.

She adds potatoes cut into large and small cubes. When the potatoes have cooked, she takes out the large cubes and mashes them, then returns the potatoes to the soup. Using the mashed potatoes makes the soup thicker.

As if spring has found its way into the soup pot, the sorrel leaves become fresh green and loosen the smell of the mountains.

There are 12 varieties of sorrel in Armenia; six types are used for soup, and nearly every Armenian housewife keeps it on hand. It is often used to relieve stomach problems. (In this case, sorrel is simply cooked and the juice is given to the person who has a stomach problem.)

Anahit cuts onions for stewing and puts them into a frying-pan, where she has put 150 grams oil, and puts the pan on a gas fire. After stirring for about three minutes, she adds cayenne pepper, and when the onions turn a golden color, she adds them to the soup and cooks over a low flame.

After about five minutes Anahit adds chopped walnuts, dried plums and sour lavash (made of plum juice). Anahit says garlic may be added for those who prefer a more pungent soup.

Sorrel is usually cooked in Armenia during lent; however, many prefer decorating their New Year or Easter table with the colorful dish.

The following ingredients are necessary to cook sorrel soup:

200 grams sorrel
200 grams bulgur
1 potato
2 onions
200 grams oil
100 grams walnut
dried plums (depending on taste)
sour lavash (depending on taste)
½ tablespoon of salt
garlic (depending on taste)

How to cook sorrel soup:
Cut 200 grams of sorrel, put into a bowl, wash it three times with hot water. Put sorrel into a pot, add 1.5 liters of cold water and put on heat. When boiling, add half a tablespoon of salt (depending on taste), 200 grams white bulgur, and one tablespoon of oil. Mix sorrel with a ladle several times. Then peel one potato, cut it into small and large cubes, and add to mix. After potatoes have softened mash the large cubs and return to soup.
Peel two onions and cut into small pieces; add 150 grams oil and prepare stewed onions. Mix constantly, then add half a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. When the stewed onions become golden add them to the soup. After a few minutes add chopped walnuts, dried plums, and sour lavash depending on taste. Serve with garlic, for an additional taste.

Top of Form 1

Bottom of Form 1

Mama Makes It Better | 19.03.10 | 16:47
Ավելուկով ապուր. տարածելով սարերի բուրմունքը տան մեջ
NAZIK ARMENAKYAN
ArmeniaNow
By Gayane Mkrtchyan
ArmeniaNow reporter
Երբ ամառվա սկզբին Անահիտ Հարությունյանը Գեղարդի լեռներում ավելուկ հավաքելու է գնում, նշանակում է` պատրաստվում է ձմեռային խոհանոցին:

«Ավելուկը կանաչ լայն տերևներով բույս է և աճում է Հայաստանի գրեթե բոլոր շրջաններում: Բայց լեռներում աճած ավելուկի համն ուրիշ է: Քաղելուց հետո հյուսում ենք ցորենի նման ու կախում չորանալու»,- ասում է Անահիտը:

Ավելուկով ապուրը պատրաստում են չորացրած ավելուկով, սպիտակ աղացած ձավարով, կտրատած կարտոֆիլով, սոխառածով, ընկույզով ու սալորաչրով:

Եթե ամռանն ավելուկ չեք հավաքել, ապա այն կարելի է ձեռք բերել երևանյան շուկաներից:

Անահիտն ասում է, որ գյուղերում ավելուկի կապերին «գյալ» են անվանել: Նա վերցնում է ավելուկի «գյալը», մկրատով կտրատում ու լցնում թասի մեջ: Գրեթե երեք անգամ եռացրած է ջուր լցնում վրան ու նորից թափում: Ասում է, որ դա արվում է, որպեսզի բույսի դառնահամը դուրս գա:

Այնուհետև 1,5 լ սառը ջուրը լցնում է 200 գ ավելուկի վրա ու դնում գազօջախին եփելու: Երբ սկսում է եռալ, անընդհատ շերեփով խառնում է ավելուկները, որոնք մինչև եռալը բարձրանում են ջրի երես:

Եռալու ժամանակ Անահիտն ավելացնում է կես ճաշի գդալ աղ (ըստ ճաշակի), հետո 200 գ աղացած սպիտակ ձավար և մեկ ճաշի գդալ ձեթ:

«Երբ ավելացնում ենք ձեթը, ձավարը վարդի պես բացվում է ապուրի մեջ, դառնում ավելի սպիտակ ու սիրուն»,- բացատրում է Անահիտը:

Ու մինչ ապուրը եփում է, նա մանր քառակուսիների նման կտրատում է կարտոֆիլը: Մի քանի կտոր կարտոֆիլ չի մանրացնում: Մանր կտրատածների հետ խոշորները նույնպես լցնում է ապուրի մեջ: Երբ կարտոֆիլը եփում է, խոշորները հանում է, լցնում ափսեի մեջ ու պատառաքաղով ճզմում: Հետո արդեն ճզմած կարտոֆիլը նորից ավելացնում է ապուրին, որ ապուրն ավելի թանձր լինի:

Կաթսայի մեջ ասես փոքրիկ գարուն լինի: Ավելուկի տերևները թարմ կանաչի երանգ են ստացել: Օդում տարածվել է սարերի բուրմունքը:

Հայաստանում տարածված ավելուկի 12 տեսակներից վեցն է օգտագործվում ապուր եփելու համար, և այսօր էլ հայ տնային տնտեսուհիներն իրենց խոհանոցի մի անկյունում միշտ ավելուկ ունեն: Հաճախ ավելուկն օգտագործվում է ստամոքսի խանգարումները բուժելու նպատակով: Այս դեպքում ավելուկը պարզապես խաշում են և հյութը տալիս ստամոքսի խնդիրներ ունեցող մարդուն:

Անահիտը կտրատում է սոխառածի սոխը,այն լցնում թավայի մեջ, որտեղ նախապես լցրել է գրեթե 150 գ բուսական յուղ և դնում գազօջախին: Սոխառածը մի երեք րոպե խառնելուց հետո ավելացնում է աղացած կարմիր պղպեղ: Երբ սոխառածը դառնում է ոսկեգույն, ավելացնում է ապուրին և եփում մարմանդ կրակով:

Խոհանոցի սեղանին մանր կտրատած ընկույզն է, սալորաչիրն ու թթու լավաշը (այն պատրաստում են սալորի հյութից): 5 րոպե եփելուց հետո Անահիտն ապուրին է ավելացնում ընկույզը, սալորաչիրն ու թթու լավաշը: Անահիտն ասում է, որ ցանկացողները ավելուկով ապուրը համտեսում են սխտորով, ըստ ճաշակի:

Ավելուկն ընդունված է պատրաստել հատկապես Պահոց շրջանում: Սակայն շատերն իրենց Ամանորյա կամ Զատկի սեղանը զարդարում են այս գունագեղ ճաշատեսակով:

Ավելուկով ապուրի համար անհրաժեշտ է
200 գ ավելուկ
200 գ ձավար
1 հատ կարտոֆիլ
2 գլուխ սոխ
200 գ ձեթ
100 գ ընկույզ
Սալորաչիր` ըստ ճաշակի
Թթու լավաշ` ըստ ճաշակի
Կես ճաշի գդալ աղ
Սխտոր` ըստ ցանկության

Պատրաստման եղանակը
200 գ ավելուկը կտրատել, լցնել թասի մեջ: Երեք անգամ եռացրած ջուր լցնել վրան ու ջուրը թափել: Այնուհետև ավելուկը լցնել կաթսայի մեջ,ավելացնել 1,5 լ ջուր ու դնել գազօջախին: Երբ սկսում է եռալ, ավելացնել կես ճաշի գդալ աղ (ըստ ճաշակի), 200 գ աղացած սպիտակ ձավար և մեկ ճաշի գդալ ձեթ: Ավելուկը մի քանի անգամ հարկավոր է շերեփով խառնել: Այնուհետև մեկ կարտոֆիլը կտրատել, նաև խոշոր կտորներ թողնել: Հետո այդ ամբողջը լցնել ավելուկի ապուրի մեջ: Երբ կարտոֆիլը եփում է, խոշորները հանել, դնել ափսեի մեջ ու պատառաքաղով ճզմել, ապա նորից լցնել ապուրի մեջ, որպեսզի այն ավելի թանձր լինի: Այնուհետև 2 գլուխ սոխը մանր կտրատել, լցնել թավայի մեջ` ավելացնելով 200 գ ձեթ և դնել կրակին: Անընդհատ խառնել, ավելացնել կես ճաշի գդալ կարմիր պղպեղ: Երբ դառնում է ոսկեգույն, ավելացնել ապուրին: Մի քանի րոպե անց ավելացնել մանր կտրատած ընկույզը, սալորաչիրն ու թթու լավաշը` ըստ ճաշակի: Կարելի է ճաշակել նաև սխտորով համեմած, ըստ ցանկության:

Source URL: http://www.armenianow.com/node/21754
Source URL: http://www.armeniano...ine_sorrel_soup

Edited by Arpa, 22 March 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#25 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

Makes sense. I've only heard dzavar in Armenia so far (not that I'm around people who use the word regularly, but I just don't ever remember someone using the word "bulghur").

#26 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

how about Hajar? my wife made me Hajar pilav but not the same as I rememer when we made it in Armenia (my Mother), and once i ate it in Boston, Rubos Mother in law made it, was great.

Nairi would know this, chamichov plaf with potatoes in a bottom of a pan, but the secret is you have to cook it with real butter :)

#27 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

how about Hajar? my wife made me Hajar pilav but not the same as I rememer when we made it in Armenia (my Mother), and once i ate it in Boston, Rubos Mother in law made it, was great.

Nairi would know this, chamichov plaf with potatoes in a bottom of a pan, but the secret is you have to cook it with real butter :)

nagli. ches amachun espes baner es asum sovats martkants mot. :(

I love hajar plav

#28 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

ba chamichov plav ches sirum? bayts inchi amachem Azat jan? hents hima el sovats mernumem aper......es inch chem tsxum geli axorjaka mots:(((

#29 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

[quote name='Arpa' date='22 March 2010 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1269266662' post='269035']
http://www.asgteach....2007/Sorrel.jpg
http://www.plant-ide...x-acetosa-3.jpg
http://upload.wikime...mex_acetosa.jpg
http://www.armeniano...ine_sorrel_soup

According to the Hanragitaran Aveluk is Rumex, the most popular of which being Rumex acetosa. There is a method to this madness, see here the chemical content- Oxalic acid., the reason why it has to be soaked for a long time. I had written about this, that Zeituntsis of Aleppo were the experts in the art of this recipe. They were the experts, and when in season they gathered and prepared it the entire neighborhood would be invited. I do remember that the leaves had to be soaked in water for a long time,changing the water several times I.e. to exude the “acid”.
Btw, “sorrel” seems to be French while the English is “dock”.
PS. In searching one will see that Sorrel soup is a very popular Jamaican dish.

Dman it! Why are we still speaking furkish? Who knows that the Armenian word for "bulgur" is "dzavar"?
----

Source URL: http://www.armenianow.com/node/21754
Source URL: http://www.armeniano...ine_sorrel_soup
---------------------
dear Arpa, I know well rumex acetosa, it is called "Oseille" in French, and
'la soupe à l'oseille' is very popular in France. There is a song:
'La soupe à l'oseille c'est pour les demoiselles
la soupe à l'oignon c'est pour les garçons"

the word: sorrel is in English.
I have made hundreds of drawings of wild flowers.
And soupe à l'oseille too. But not your recepe. Thank you, I shall try it. Seems good !

#30 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

Makes sense. I've only heard dzavar in Armenia so far (not that I'm around people who use the word regularly, but I just don't ever remember someone using the word "bulghur").

in our home, we use dzavar for the whole grain and blghur for the ground grain.

#31 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

name=]']]
Thank you Louise for the correction. You are right. I did something against my “religion” and trusted that “mickey mouse” Wikipedia, or maybe I misread it.
The more I read the more get confused. There seem to be several Rumex-es , the most common of them being Rumex acetosa, at times known as French Sorrel, just as at times -Common Sorrel. http://www.torrens.o...mexAcetosa.jpeg
Whether the writer was confused or I was, I interpreted it to mean that French name is “sorrel”. And yes, I also see that in France it is known as "Oseille".
Some also say that French Sorrel is Rumex Scutatus. http://www.floralima...cutatus_ef5.jpg
And, as bonus for our readers, here is Louise’s Floral Art/ Fleurs Sauvage;
http://pagesperso-or...hoisy/index.htm

Edited by Arpa, 26 March 2010 - 08:33 AM.

#32 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

in our home, we use dzavar for the whole grain and blghur for the ground grain.

Harut, you’re gonna like this, maybe not.
From the Armatakan;

ՁԱՒԱՐ- Խաշած ու ԽՈՇՈՐ ԱՂԱՑԱԾ ՑՈՐԵՆ, հաճար կամ գարի.

---
Above it says “խոշոր աղացած”, meaning “coarsely ground” (cracked wheat), as when wheat is ground any finer the next would be “simit” like the Italian “farina=cereal”, even finer it will be ալիւր =flour.
Yet, the more I read the mores I get confused. Btw, in the Marash dialect “dvawar” is explained as “bulghur” in parentheses.
We will see if we can“crack” :oops: this nut in a subsequent post under the topic of LANGUAGE- GRAIN/ՀԱՑԱՀԱՏԻԿ
but before we come to the "main course".
AHHH!! Stupid me!! :goof: How come I did not see the connection between "հատիկ/hatik/grain"
http://www.lifeisafe...agra-hadig.html
http://lcweb2.loc.go.../200002748.html

And "hatel=to cut"**. :jester:
**Մեր երեխան շատ տզտզան է այսօր:
Ահ՜, միթէ նա ատամ է «հատում», "cutting teeth"?

Edited by Arpa, 26 March 2010 - 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users