48 replies to this topic

#1 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:15 AM

Բարէվ!

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but I come asking for help. I am currently trying to teach myself the Armenian language, and it is very difficult for me. Perhaps there is someone here who could help me, even if it is just the occasional email to check up on my work, test me, or perhaps introduce new words for my vocabulary.

At the current time, I only have a comprehensive understanding of the Armenian vowels, and I am just starting on consonants. If anyone can provide help to further my learning of the language, I would be greatly appreciative.

շնորհակալ էմ

#2 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:00 AM

Hello Korelyi.
What can I do for you, is nothing than giving some good wishes for learning Armenian Language.
Armenian Language is Great and magical.
You should love it. Really, you should fall in love of Armenian language.
Sorry, but I do not know you if you are Armenian or not.
After you fall in love, it is assure that you will learn it very well.
Please read the old topics of Language section.

There are many others who asked the same question.
You will find many answers, sites, addresses and so on.

Edited by Johannes, 21 December 2006 - 10:03 AM.

#3 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Johannes @ Dec 21 2006, 11:00 AM) View Post
Hello Korelyi.
What can I do for you, is nothing than giving some good wishes for learning Armenian Language.
Armenian Language is Great and magical.
You should love it. Really, you should fall in love of Armenian language.
Sorry, but I do not know you if you are Armenian or not.
After you fall in love, it is assure that you will learn it very well.
Please read the old topics of Language section.

There are many others who asked the same question.
You will find many answers, sites, addresses and so on.

Hello, Johannes.

No, I am not Armenian. Actually, I don't even have Armenian heritage. I just love the Armenian language and culture. It's great! I find Armenia a beautiful and interesting country. I dream of one day standing on the streets of Yerevan, looking out at Mt. Ararat.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look around here.

#4 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(Korelyi @ Dec 21 2006, 05:21 PM) View Post
Hello, Johannes.

No, I am not Armenian. Actually, I don't even have Armenian heritage. I just love the Armenian language and culture. It's great! I find Armenia a beautiful and interesting country. I dream of one day standing on the streets of Yerevan, looking out at Mt. Ararat.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look around here.

Բարեւ Կորելյի
Բարի գալուստ քեզ:
Բարի եկար:
Welcome
We love you and we appreciate your passion with the Armenian language and culture.
Stick around.
You will learn a lot.
In the meantime. Damn it! I have the same problem as you. You will notice that on your so called Unicode-Armenian keyboard the keys are so jumbled up that when you think the letter E will give you the Armenian letter Ե as in բարեւit gives Է. You have the key of W correct to correspond with the Armenian Ւ.
As above.
Stick around and see if between us we can have those idiots devise a more practical keyboard for all of us.
As starters, they can remove that key of ԵՒ which is a word is not a letter and assign another letter, I mean a letter to that key.
Why is the Q assigned for the letter Խ, G for Ք and X for Ց?
Don’t those nincompoops know that Q is equivalent to K and the X as in the Greek Xristos equal to Q as in the Armenian Քրիստոս. Many more. But when those Russo-Soviet heads learn real Armenian Alphabet and see why Mashtots devised it to coincide with the Greek and Latin, and remove that stupid key of YEV, maybe then there will be enough space to accommodate all of the 38 (no, 39???)letters of the Ayb Ben Gim on a keyboard that is designed for 26.
Once again, welcome, do stick around and see if we can hammer some sense in those thick (Armenian) heads. See if they can make learning Armenian easier for newcomers just as to some of us who have been trying to learn it since birth.
Your first lesson; the Armenian word for “merci/thank you” is “shnorhakakakakkakakal yem”.
Once you learn that then you can apply for “armeniananhood”.
Thank you, merci, danka, grazia, shukran, not “shnorhakkakakakakakookoomanga…”
Am I scaring you away?
I hope you stay and help us show some of our knuckleheads that composing ten mile long compound words is not the answer to the world where everyone calls that widget TV/teevee but we have to compose “herustatesoghutiun” .
Can you pronounce that?
Good for you!
I can’t.
Can someone please tell those garage/basement font designers that there are those of us who use keyboards designed for the 26 letters of Latin??

#5 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 21 2006, 01:26 PM) View Post
Բարեւ Կորելյի
Բարի գալուստ քեզ:
Բարի եկար:
Welcome
We love you and we appreciate your passion with the Armenian language and culture.
Stick around.
You will learn a lot.
In the meantime. Damn it! I have the same problem as you. You will notice that on your so called Unicode-Armenian keyboard the keys are so jumbled up that when you think the letter E will give you the Armenian letter Ե as in բարեւit gives Է. You have the key of W correct to correspond with the Armenian Ւ.
As above.
Stick around and see if between us we can have those idiots devise a more practical keyboard for all of us.
As starters, they can remove that key of ԵՒ which is a word is not a letter and assign another letter, I mean a letter to that key.
Why is the Q assigned for the letter Խ, G for Ք and X for Ց?
Don’t those nincompoops know that Q is equivalent to K and the X as in the Greek Xristos equal to Q as in the Armenian Քրիստոս. Many more. But when those Russo-Soviet heads learn real Armenian Alphabet and see why Mashtots devised it to coincide with the Greek and Latin, and remove that stupid key of YEV, maybe then there will be enough space to accommodate all of the 38 (no, 39???)letters of the Ayb Ben Gim on a keyboard that is designed for 26.
Once again, welcome, do stick around and see if we can hammer some sense in those thick (Armenian) heads. See if they can make learning Armenian easier for newcomers just as to some of us who have been trying to learn it since birth.
Your first lesson; the Armenian word for “merci/thank you” is “shnorhakakakakkakakal yem”.
Once you learn that then you can apply for “armeniananhood”.
Thank you, merci, danka, grazia, shukran, not “shnorhakkakakakakakookoomanga…”
Am I scaring you away?
I hope you stay and help us show some of our knuckleheads that composing ten mile long compound words is not the answer to the world where everyone calls that widget TV/teevee but we have to compose “herustatesoghutiun” .
Can you pronounce that?
Good for you!
I can’t.
Can someone please tell those garage/basement font designers that there are those of us who use keyboards designed for the 26 letters of Latin??

Shnorhakakakakkakakal yem...? Is that anything like շնորհակալ եմ? tongue.gif

I see no real problems with the Armenian Unicode Keyboard. I can use it quite well, actually.

#6 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

hello korelyi

ok well first, it's actually բարեւ not բարէվ

i can help you as much as you can if you wish...

if you want to learn armenian. it is preferable to have a dictionary. are there any armenians around where you live? if there are, ask them to speak to you in armenian, and if you don't understand, ask them to translate. thats a good way to learn.

keyboardwise, i tend to use the eastern armenian layout instead of the standard western. mostly because the letters are placed in a more compatible way with their latin counterparts. for example: ա is A, վ is V and so on. so the point is most of the letters coincide.
you must also remember that this is an eastern keyboard layout this means that the Ք is pronounced 'g' and is therefore placed with the letter G, as the կ is pronounced as a K, and is therefore a K. the same applies for P (being cool.gif and B (being P) and so on. you will figure it out quite quickly.

Ցըտեսութիւն ամեքնիթ
Րաֆֆի

#7 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 21 2006, 10:26 AM) View Post
world where everyone calls that widget TV/teevee but we have to compose “herustatesoghutiun” .

Actually, it's "herustatsuyts".

#8 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(Korelyi @ Dec 20 2006, 11:15 PM) View Post
Բարէվ!

Բարեվ Կորելյի,

Ես ցանկությամբ կօգնեմ երբ Հայֆորում մտնեմ:

I'll gladly help when I visit Hyeforum (that's what I wrote in Armenian). I think it's great that you're interested in learning Armenian. I need to review my Armenian as well smile.gif

#9 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:51 AM

Try this site: http://learnarmenian.com

#10 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

If you can't relocate to another country, the best way to learn a language is to date someone who frequently speaks that language.

Another alternative is to find an Armenian-speaking surrogate family, like the character in Atom Egoyan's "Next of Kin."

#11 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(hosank @ Dec 21 2006, 11:45 PM) View Post
hello korelyi

ok well first, it's actually բարեւ not բարէվ
i can help you as much as you can if you wish...

if you want to learn armenian. it is preferable to have a dictionary. are there any armenians around where you live? if there are, ask them to speak to you in armenian, and if you don't understand, ask them to translate. thats a good way to learn.

keyboardwise, i tend to use the eastern armenian layout instead of the standard western. mostly because the letters are placed in a more compatible way with their latin counterparts. for example: ա is A, վ is V and so on. so the point is most of the letters coincide.
you must also remember that this is an eastern keyboard layout this means that the Ք is pronounced 'g' and is therefore placed with the letter G, as the կ is pronounced as a K, and is therefore a K. the same applies for P (being cool.gif and B (being P) and so on. you will figure it out quite quickly.
Ցըտեսութիւն ամեքնիթ
Րաֆֆի

Oh, I see. շնորհակէլ եմ:

Right, I was thinking of ordering an English -> Armenian / Armenian -> English dictionary. I know it would help me greatly. The hardest part, I think, is learning the alphabet to where I can read it without having to interpret each individual letter. One that's done, it's only a matter of learning the grammar and then learning vocabulary.

I like using the Eastern Armenian keyboard, simply for the reasons you stated. It's much easier for me.

There are no Armenian speakers around here that I know of, so I will have to get a program or somesuch. If I could get someone to talk to me via Ventrilo or something like that who knows Armenian, it would be such a great help.

#12 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

շնորակԱլ եմ, lol, but nice try, most armenian just say merci shad anyways (մերսի սհատ)
(don't ask me why)

so, just out of curiosity, why did you decide to learn armenian? i mean,..what gave you the idea?

yes, a dictionary is a good idea, i have one and use it from time to time, for technical words. ya, well, any way you can find to practice speech and conversation is good, that's usually the best way to learn a language. and if you have the time and money and will, you could go to armenia for a summer or something, or if you are really into it, get a job there maybe?lol

armenian really is a nice language to learn. it is also quite closely related to the armenian culture, so i think you should learn both together.

if you want to practice your armenian, try to go on armenian website, or on any piece of literature you can put your hands on. (preferably not a haysasdantsi site because the spelling may be different and would kinda put you off)

and yes, once you learn the letters by heart, it would be easy to recognise the letters in words and sentences. see, selfteaching myself russian at the moment, and after having learned the letters, im able to read (without quite knowing what im reading..well..my russian isn't thaaat bad).

anyways, good luck learning, ill help the most i can.

привет
րաֆֆի

#13 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(hosank @ Dec 22 2006, 02:30 PM) View Post
շնորակԱլ եմ, lol, but nice try, most armenian just say merci shad anyways (մերսի սհատ)
(don't ask me why)

so, just out of curiosity, why did you decide to learn armenian? i mean,..what gave you the idea?

yes, a dictionary is a good idea, i have one and use it from time to time, for technical words. ya, well, any way you can find to practice speech and conversation is good, that's usually the best way to learn a language. and if you have the time and money and will, you could go to armenia for a summer or something, or if you are really into it, get a job there maybe?lol

armenian really is a nice language to learn. it is also quite closely related to the armenian culture, so i think you should learn both together.

if you want to practice your armenian, try to go on armenian website, or on any piece of literature you can put your hands on. (preferably not a haysasdantsi site because the spelling may be different and would kinda put you off)

and yes, once you learn the letters by heart, it would be easy to recognise the letters in words and sentences. see, selfteaching myself russian at the moment, and after having learned the letters, im able to read (without quite knowing what im reading..well..my russian isn't thaaat bad).

anyways, good luck learning, ill help the most i can.

привет
րաֆֆի

Ah, I see.

Well, I was just on Wikipedia one day looking through the language lists (the ones on the left of the page that allows you to view pages in alternate languages), and I came across Armenian. I thought to myself "Huh, that's pretty sweet looking". So, I started researching, and started reading about their culture and whatnot, and just grew to like it. So, I started to teach myself.

Yeah, I'll special order a dictionary here after Christmas.

Ah, Russian. My great uncle is fluent in all dialects of Russian, because he was an interpreter for the US Air Force. I just recently met him. Pretty awesome language.

Thanks!

#14 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

Dear Koreyli,

Great to see someone with love for the Armenian culture. Please stay with us and I'm sure you'll learn a lot through the help our members.

WELCOME!

#15 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ Dec 22 2006, 06:37 PM) View Post
Dear Koreyli,

Great to see someone with love for the Armenian culture. Please stay with us and I'm sure you'll learn a lot through the help our members.

WELCOME!

Բարեւ, Zartonk.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to learn a lot here. tongue.gif

#16 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 21 2006, 10:26 AM) View Post

Do not use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice. tongue.gif

I like "Shnorhakalutyun" myself.

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(Korelyi @ Dec 23 2006, 12:01 AM) View Post
Բարեւ, Zartonk.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to learn a lot here. tongue.gif

Ayo sireli Korelyi,
բարԵւ, not բարԷւ.
You know me.
Forgive me. I begin at the top.
As a rule it is Է when in declension it turns into Ի as in ՍԷՐ Սիրել etc.
Iն the meantime, there are at least three "ser"s in Armenian- ՍԷՐ-love, սեր-cream and սեռ-sex/gender.
You will notice that only սէր-love turns into Ի in declension a in "sireli" and the others remain as E regardless. When we say "seri" we know that it means "of cream" and when we say "srrayin" it means sexual, but when it comes տո ser/love we say sireli/sirayin. Therefor it is an Է not Ե, just as in Barev , it never changes to I no matter if we say barevel etc. Yes, yes I know "barev" in fact means "with goodness" perhaps a variant of "barov", we also have the word "bari" to mean good(person), yet that I ending is a fluke. It does նոտfollow the above rules. Could it be that it derives from such as "bareatsakam/barIatsakam/well wisher"?

#18 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 22 2006, 07:54 PM) View Post
Ayo sireli Korelyi,
բարԵւ, not բարԷւ.
You know me.
Forgive me. I begin at the top.
As a rule it is Է when in declension it turns into Ի as in ՍԷՐ Սիրել etc.
Iն the meantime, there are at least three "ser"s in Armenian- ՍԷՐ-love, սեր-cream and սեռ-sex/gender.
You will notice that only սէր-love turns into Ի in declension a in "sireli" and the others remain as E regardless. When we say "seri" we know that it means "of cream" and when we say "srrayin" it means sexual, but when it comes տո ser/love we say sireli/sirayin. Therefor it is an Է not Ե, just as in Barev , it never changes to I no matter if we say barevel etc. Yes, yes I know "barev" in fact means "with goodness" perhaps a variant of "barov", we also have the word "bari" to mean good(person), yet that I ending is a fluke. It does նոտfollow the above rules. Could it be that it derives from such as "bareatsakam/barIatsakam/well wisher"?

Well I'm confused. What is the rule for using either ե or է? I know that է sounds more like the E in hey, and ե sounds more like the E in pen.

#19 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Korelyi @ Dec 22 2006, 08:19 PM) View Post
Well I'm confused. What is the rule for using either ե or է? I know that է sounds more like the E in hey, and ե sounds more like the E in pen.

I also forgot to add, am I correct in my spelling here?

Բարեւ, ինչպե՛ս եք:

#20 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

not bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users