44 replies to this topic

#21 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

Maral means yeghnik in Turkish right?
How did that end up as a name used by some Armenians?

#22 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Artaxias @ May 4 2005, 05:00 PM)

Arto, please read the following thread.

http://search.hp.net.....com/index.php

#23 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ May 4 2005, 12:00 PM)
Arto, please read the following thread.

http://search.hp.net.....com/index.php

The link led me to the forum index.

#24 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Artaxias @ May 4 2005, 06:10 PM)
The link led me to the forum index.

Yes I know. Something's the matter with he search mode.
It could be me as I am trying an new system.
In any case , go to Culture-Music and look for "Maral's Songsss"

#25 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ May 4 2005, 12:30 PM)
Yes I know. Something's the matter with he search mode.
It could be me as I am trying an new system.
In any case , go to Culture-Music and look for "Maral's Songsss"

Will do. Btw i'm more of an Artash(x) than Arto (that would be Artavazd(es) or Artak) smile.gif

Edited by Artaxias, 04 May 2005 - 01:29 PM.

#26 Armen Half-Celt

Armen Half-Celt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:13 AM

that's sister's name...and the name of a family friend...but then i had an (Arabic ) teach who's last name was "Tamer"...maybe theres some long connection

#27 kars

kars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (Artaxias @ May 4 2005, 10:00 AM)

Artaxias, you are both correct and mistaken. Mistaken in the form you put your question in. “Maral” (մարալ) in Armenian means “doe”, specifically referring to local native species of roe deer Capreolus capreolus.

Now, the word “maral” itself has Turkic origins, like quite a few other Armenian words, but that’s in the area of linguistics (etymology). Furthermore, the word “maral” is found in all local languages (Turkish, Azeri, Georgian, Kurdish) and even made its way to Russian language.

#28 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (kars @ May 7 2005, 12:06 PM)
Artaxias, you are both correct and mistaken. Mistaken in the form you put your question in. “Maral” (մարալ) in Armenian means “doe”, specifically referring to local native species of roe deer Capreolus capreolus.

Now, the word “maral” itself has Turkic origins, like quite a few other Armenian words, but that’s in the area of linguistics (etymology). Furthermore, the word “maral” is found in all local languages (Turkish, Azeri, Georgian, Kurdish) and even made its way to Russian language.

Since it has turkic origins, any person that gives their child such a name should be shot.

Could you provide an example in Russian?

#29 kars

kars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Artaxias @ May 7 2005, 03:18 PM)
Since it has turkic origins, any person that gives their child such a name should be shot.

Could you provide an example in Russian?

“Since it has turkic origins, any person that gives their child such a name should be shot.”

Ouch! That hurt. Then go ahead and shoot all Demirchians, Deukmejians, Atabekians, Karakhanians, and hundreds of thousands of others.

But you misunderstood again: the name has Armenian origins. The word which is at the root of that name is of Turkic origin.

“Could you provide an example in Russian?”

I already did and I have no idea how you managed to miss it. But I can try one more time. Here:

There is a word in Russian – марал /maral/; definition: “large deer with big antlers”. Evidently, in Russian the word lost its original Turkic meaning of “female deer”, which Armenian, Georgian and Kurdish preserved.

If you don’t get it this time again, I am going to give up on you.

#30 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (kars @ May 7 2005, 05:15 PM)
“Since it has turkic origins, any person that gives their child such a name should be shot.”

Ouch! That hurt. Then go ahead and shoot all Demirchians, Deukmejians, Atabekians, Karakhanians, and hundreds of thousands of others.

In a perfect world...

But you misunderstood again: the name has Armenian origins. The word which is at the root of that name is of Turkic origin.

No I didn't. The surname is used by Armenians but the root is turkic;therefore, it's a crime.

If you don’t get it this time again, I am going to give up on you.

Մեծամիտ, դու չասեցիր որ ռուսերենում ել է նույն նշանակությունը կրում:
In any case, there are far worse examples. That's just the tip of the iceberg. It seems like if it wasn't for the Genocide, Armenians would rather live under Turkic rule.

#31 kars

kars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

Artaxias:

Մեծամիտ, դու չասեցիր որ ռուսերենում ել է նույն նշանակությունը կրում:”

Միամիտ, իսկ դու չասեցիր, որ տարրական անգլերենը չես հասկանում:

One more Artaxias:

In any case, there are far worse examples. That's just the tip of the iceberg. It seems like if it wasn't for the Genocide, Armenians would rather live under Turkic rule.”

Well, I am lost here. Your logic is beyond me. What does the etymology of an Armenian word have to do with the nonsense you just posted up there?

By the way, with your attitudes, you should get rid of your profoundly Iranian moniker and get an Armenian one.

#32 shaunt

shaunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (kars @ May 7 2005, 10:10 PM)
By the way, with your attitudes, you should get rid of your profoundly Iranian moniker and get an Armenian one.

Speaking of names, I recently discovered that "Shaunt" is not an Armenian name.

#33 kars

kars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (shaunt @ May 7 2005, 11:45 PM)
Speaking of names, I recently discovered that "Shaunt" is not an Armenian name.

I never knew there is such name as “Shaunt” – Armenian or not.

Can’t be Armenian, based on spelling, since Armenian language has no diphthongs (as in -au-).

But it could be a case of yet another arbitrary transliteration, which is so common with Armenian names written in Latin alphabet (for example: Megerditch).

If your name is what I think it is (Շանթ) /shant/, then it is very much Armenian. “Շանթ” in Armenian means “sharp lightning”, and is very ancient and very pagan, as a name (sorry to disappoint you).

But I repeat: I could be mistaken. “Shaunt”, after all, could be something else.

#34 shaunt

shaunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (kars @ May 8 2005, 03:35 AM)
If your name is what I think it is (Շանթ) /shant/, then it is very much Armenian. “Շանթ” in Armenian means “sharp lightning”, and is very ancient and very pagan, as a name (sorry to disappoint you).

But I repeat: I could be mistaken. “Shaunt”, after all, could be something else.

No, you are correct; I am speaking of the name "Shant." I can't read or write Armenian, and since I can read and write in English, I spell it "Shaunt" biggrin.gif .

You are also correct in saying that it is a very ancient and pagan word. But is it Armenian? "Shant" appears to be a loan word from the Hittite "shantash," meaning a swift wind, or something like that. I'll have to check up on that. This is according to John C. Greppin of course, not me.

#35 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (kars @ May 7 2005, 10:10 PM)
Artaxias:

Մեծամիտ, դու չասեցիր որ ռուսերենում ել է նույն նշանակությունը կրում:”

Միամիտ, իսկ դու չասեցիր, որ տարրական անգլերենը չես հասկանում:

Կուլ գնալուց մի ............ պետք է դուրս տաիր չե...

Well, I am lost here. Your logic is beyond me. What does the etymology of an Armenian word have to do with the nonsense you just posted up there?

Well there you go. Your apathy only reinforces my point.

I see no problem with pre-late Sassanid IE names or loanwords from Iran or with modern Russian ones.

Edited by Edward, 10 May 2005 - 10:51 PM.

#36 kars

kars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Artaxias @ May 8 2005, 07:02 PM)
Կուլ գնալուց մի հիմարություն պետք է դուրս տաիր չե...
Well there you go. Your apathy only reinforces my point.
I see no problem with pre-late Sassanid IE names or loanwords from Iran or with modern Russian ones.

Artaxias,

Count 1:

"Կուլ գնալուց մի հիմարություն պետք է դուրս տաիր չե..."

Hey, you, Artaxias! With all due respect, you sound like an idiot (note: I use this language only because you started it (“հիմարություն”).

Your Armenian is as bad as your comprehension of elementary English is. And your knowledge of history is even worse than your English and your Armenian.

May I, with your permission, correct your inexcusable mistakes? I guess the answer is “yes”, so there we go:

Կուլ գնալուց մի հիմարություն պետք է դուրս տաիր չե…

should be written as:

Կուլ գնալուց մի հիմարություն պետք է դուրս տայիր, չէ՞...

OK. We already established that your Armenian sucks just like your English. Գնացինք առաջ:

Count 2:

You also said this հիմարություն:

I see no problem with pre-late Sassanid IE names or loanwords from Iran or with modern Russian ones.”

(1) There is no such thing as “pre-late Sassanid IE names” – you just fabricated a new term (badly composed, I must add).

(2) “I see no problem…” also sucks: who really cares if you do or do not see a problem with a particular name? “Artaxias” is not Armenian. Period. Գլուխդ մտա՞վ: Չեմ կարծում...

Count 3:

Furthermore, your chronometer needs new batteries – name “Artaxias” predates Sasanids. See? You learned something today. Say: “Thank you, Kars.” (I am waiting)

You have major problems. You must’ve said in the beginning that you simply hate anything what associates with anything Turkic - before you got yourself entangled in something as complicated as linguistics. Evidently, you are ignorant in this area. Why don’t you go to the “Genocide” topics and be happy there forever? Those are the only places where you can bash anything Turkic with impunity, with your big-mouthed Turk-shooting virtual comrades.

Edited by kars, 10 May 2005 - 09:24 PM.

#37 kars

kars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:34 PM

Oh! One more suggestion for you:

While you are busy shooting all those Armenians with Turkic-sounding surnames, don’t forget to bomb Gulbenkian’s Museum

#38 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (kars)
Hey, you, Artaxias! With all due respect, you sound like an idiot (note: I use this language only because you started it (“հիմարություն”).

You are an idiot.

Your Armenian is as bad as your comprehension of elementary English is. And your knowledge of history is even worse than your English and your Armenian.

May I, with your permission, correct your inexcusable mistakes? I guess the answer is “yes”, so there we go:

Կուլ գնալուց մի հիմարություն պետք է դուրս տաիր չե…

should be written as:

Կուլ գնալուց մի հիմարություն պետք է դուրս տայիր, չէ՞...

Trolling with such misleading statements wont save your credibility.
I missed one letter typing fast, there was no spelling error. Try again.

OK. We already established that your Armenian sucks just like your English. Գնացինք առաջ:

No we established that you have your head up your buttox.

1) There is no such thing as “pre-late Sassanid IE names” – you just fabricated a new term (badly composed, I must add).

The period in Iranian history before the late Sassanian era is "pre-late Sassanid".
Would you like me to spoon feed you child?

(2) “I see no problem…” also sucks: who really cares if you do or do not see a problem with a particular name? “Artaxias” is not Armenian. Period. Գլուխդ մտա՞վ: Չեմ կարծում...

When have I stated it's Armenian jackass? It's a kindred ancient IE name with the same root and origins as many Armenian names.

Furthermore, your chronometer needs new batteries – name “Artaxias” predates Sasanids. See? You learned something today. Say: “Thank you, Kars.” (I am waiting)

Where have I said it doesn't moron?
That was the whole point. The name is pure IE and not corrupted by anything semitic or altaic like names from Iran after the Saracen devastation, but I assumed too much of you.

You have major problems. You must’ve said in the beginning that you simply hate anything what associates with anything Turkic - before you got yourself entangled in something as complicated as linguistics. Evidently, you are ignorant in this area. Why don’t you go to the “Genocide” topics and be happy there forever? Those are the only places where you can bash anything Turkic with impunity, with your big-mouthed Turk-shooting virtual comrades.

Sure, but before we get rid of the turkic animals East of Caspian, we need to take care of the scum within.

Edited by Artaxias, 10 May 2005 - 10:01 PM.

#39 Artaxias

Artaxias

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (kars @ May 10 2005, 09:34 PM)
Oh! One more suggestion for you:

While you are busy shooting all those Armenians with Turkic-sounding surnames, don’t forget to bomb Gulbenkian’s Museum

I don't care much for a mongrel with an Armenian name that isn't alive and poses no threat.

#40 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

folks, lets keep it clean and nice, shell we?
I'm asking you all to go back and edit your posts from personal insults

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users